If it's too good to be true.............

Posted 9th Jun
I like to think I'm quite clued up if something is too good in terms of price. Check out eBay item 313107763098

Not a genuine listing of course and yet 565 sold and still allowed to continue. Feedback is all from 0-rated buyers which smells funny too.

Just wondering what's the scam here? Surely when people don't get the goods, they get a refund and the seller pays the price?
Community Updates
Misc
14 Comments
I imagine it’s a hacked account.
The listing is decent but the price and feedback are dodgy. The feedback states artwork a lot so I assume that’s a different item if even real..
Ordered thanks
Why put item number instead of link?
just order, your covers by PayPal...
The other homcom chair listed I can see is 149.99 this is a bargin , they also do massage office chairs 😯
Edited by: "DaveG46" 9th Jun
Bargainhead09/06/2020 13:52

Why put item number instead of link? just order, your covers by PayPal...

Nah, just give the cash to the criminals directly. Why give ebay and paypal a cut?

If it looks legitimate but you're not entirely sure then it might be worth ordering but why would you give money to obvious scammers? You're still losing out because the money is funding crime even if it ends up being paypal's money instead of yours.
EndlessWaves09/06/2020 14:11

Nah, just give the cash to the criminals directly. Why give ebay and …Nah, just give the cash to the criminals directly. Why give ebay and paypal a cut?If it looks legitimate but you're not entirely sure then it might be worth ordering but why would you give money to obvious scammers? You're still losing out because the money is funding crime even if it ends up being paypal's money instead of yours.

Oh, wouldn't order it. Clearly dodgy. But just couldn't see how the scammer is getting away with it. With the feedback Vs quantity sold and price, it's obviously nobody is getting the item.

I was after a new chair, ended up at Amazon, but was just intrigued how this listing was still going...
That's ironic I'm actually looking for a nice chair for gaming. So bloody many choices, dunno if I should bite the bullet and get one of them Soundlab or what ever they're called
EndlessWaves09/06/2020 14:11

Nah, just give the cash to the criminals directly. Why give ebay and …Nah, just give the cash to the criminals directly. Why give ebay and paypal a cut?If it looks legitimate but you're not entirely sure then it might be worth ordering but why would you give money to obvious scammers? You're still losing out because the money is funding crime even if it ends up being paypal's money instead of yours.

Sarcasm I know it’s lost on some..
I prefer this one same Guy and price.states 5 sold in the last hour.
ebay.co.uk/itm…655
I’m still wading through the large number of fake listings for Wahl Hair Clippers, Xiaomi Mi Boxes And Xbox one controllers. Reporting them by the dozen
I know you are covered by Paypal in scenarios like this but don't forget you will also have gifted the scammers your personal details.
Toptrumpet09/06/2020 15:21

I’m still wading through the large number of fake listings for Wahl Hair C …I’m still wading through the large number of fake listings for Wahl Hair Clippers, Xiaomi Mi Boxes And Xbox one controllers. Reporting them by the dozen

Did they get removed?

I gave up reporting ads because nothing seems to happen (...correction, they acted on a report of a person asking for cash, not PayPal. I wonder why, ha ha). Talking to an ebay rep to resolve an issue the other day and he wasn't surprised, said I should contact the "brand holders" so they can take action. Yeah, right...who at Microsoft/Sony etc. should I call Clearly ebay obviously make too much money from fraudulent ads.
Bargainhead09/06/2020 14:38

Sarcasm I know it’s lost on some..

Yeah, nobody on here ever said that seriously.

:P
adam.mt09/06/2020 17:38

Did they get removed?I gave up reporting ads because nothing seems to …Did they get removed?I gave up reporting ads because nothing seems to happen (...correction, they acted on a report of a person asking for cash, not PayPal. I wonder why, ha ha). Talking to an ebay rep to resolve an issue the other day and he wasn't surprised, said I should contact the "brand holders" so they can take action. Yeah, right...who at Microsoft/Sony etc. should I call Clearly ebay obviously make too much money from fraudulent ads.

I’ve found that if you go into a suspicious listing, half way down on the right hand side in very small blue text is ‘Report Item’, when you click on that is gives drop down menu where you can put report listing practices-fraudulent listing. eBay must see that it’s been reported and will sometimes investigate and take the listings down, but I fear that reporting this way, it gets added to the long list or listings reported and isn’t that effective.
The best way I’ve found and that listings are taken down Within a timely manner (24 hours or less) is to actually report the seller more directly.
At the top of the header bar is help&contact, click this, search report a seller and then add the seller’s username and then under reasons choose ‘other‘, you can then write a paragraph giving detailed reasons why you think a listing is suspicious and asks them to cancel the listing. This way you get an email acknowledgment from eBay thanking you for reporting it. Sometimes it comes through in Chinese and that’s how you know an account has been hacked if it purported to be a UK seller. Due to the amount of fraudulent listings (especially wahl hair clippers) I just copy and paste the same paragraph over and over each time. I think so far, over the last few weeks about 60 Accounts have disappeared that I’ve reported. I double check most days by doing an advanced search on items for sale using the seller’s username only.
I’ve no idea why ebay aren’t looking at listings themselves but suspect the site is too big and they’re overwhelmed at the moment.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants