If Microsoft made an Xbox Series X with full Windows 10 and able to be basically a PC, would you buy it?

Posted 17th Jun
I think Microsoft could be missing a trick here, with consoles bridging the power gap between them and PCs and Microsoft’s monopoly with Windows.

If Microsoft made an Xbox Series X with full Windows 10 capabilities, basically being a PC and playing the best of PC and their console games all in one small form factor case, with full 4k 60fps fidelity and raytracing capabilities, and price it maybe £100 more than the standard Series X (whatever the price is revealed as likely next month) they could be onto a winner in my opinion.

The latest most powerful console and a PC powerhouse in a small form factor case. What do you guys think?
Community Updates
Misc
18 Comments
I mean it would be a great idea but unfortunately the architecture isn’t designed for the windows platform. So it won’t be happening anytime soon. Also they tend to make a loss on console due to hardware costs so wouldn’t be financially viable
With the exception of NIntendo consoles are general sold at a loss or at best they break even. The money is made from the software, if the XBox was open platform like a PC it would cost £200 - £300 more. Also 90% of console owners would not want the hassle that comes with PC's.
Edited by: "Azwipe" 18th Jun
Toby_12618/06/2020 00:10

I mean it would be a great idea but unfortunately the architecture isn’t d …I mean it would be a great idea but unfortunately the architecture isn’t designed for the windows platform. So it won’t be happening anytime soon. Also they tend to make a loss on console due to hardware costs so wouldn’t be financially viable

What architecture? The Xbox OS runs is a version of windows 10.
ReecesWaffle9518/06/2020 00:19

What architecture? The Xbox OS runs is a version of windows 10.

So while it is a version of windows 10, it’s built for the custom Xbox processor is not a standard “pc” processor e.g. x86 so wouldn’t be able to simply install a full copy of the OS onto the system.
Toby_12618/06/2020 00:33

So while it is a version of windows 10, it’s built for the custom Xbox p …So while it is a version of windows 10, it’s built for the custom Xbox processor is not a standard “pc” processor e.g. x86 so wouldn’t be able to simply install a full copy of the OS onto the system.

No one said you would just instal windows 10 on it. Do you really think the brains at Microsoft couldn't make it work?
Bertz9918/06/2020 00:35

Comment deleted

I was under the impression that the hardware wasn’t compatible with the standard OS. But hey fair enough
666FU18/06/2020 00:38

No one said you would just instal windows 10 on it. Do you really think …No one said you would just instal windows 10 on it. Do you really think the brains at Microsoft couldn't make it work?

I never said they couldn’t work it out. The point is they don’t want to make it work. Your selling a product at a loss. Why would you want to allow customers to leave your ecosystem. Microsoft also realise that the PC gaming community is heavily invested in Steam. That’s not something I imagine they would want to be introducing onto their devices.
Edited by: "Toby_126" 18th Jun
Imagine the amount of posts with clueless parents asking how to fix the console after little Timmy has riddled it with viruses, or deleted something important because he had no drive space left and wanted a new Fortnite skin.
I believe thay when consumers were first announced Microsoft did state that they were developing one to do just this - you would be able to load your disc PC games and play them on their 'in development' system.
However, I believe the issue is very much financial.
Consoles... A new one every 2,3,4 years. Need to make money off the games. No user available/ changeable parts.
PC... You buy one to the spec you want. Everyone and his uncle makes upgraded components, so you can constantly change them (Microsoft licence these parts- make money) . Microsoft also makes money from advertising/ Data collection etc.
Why would they remove half of their income source?
There are other reasons why it will never happen, but it would be great if it did (it would level the playing field in online gaming).
Toby_12618/06/2020 00:33

So while it is a version of windows 10, it’s built for the custom Xbox p …So while it is a version of windows 10, it’s built for the custom Xbox processor is not a standard “pc” processor e.g. x86 so wouldn’t be able to simply install a full copy of the OS onto the system.

The chips are based on AMD*s designs that are used in PCs so in what way are they incompatible?
The architecture is different but that doesn’t mean it automatically break compatibility with the ISA.
It is probably also a bit of a mental block - the word "PC" has a negative connotation and is seen as a device used by the old / uncool crowd. The gaming community may not buy such a device.
As long that it Supports ALL Games on KB+M THen I say yes. it will be almost like a steam box
I've been saying for years that they should open up Steam to run on the XBox.
What i really want is steam store on Xbox
You also need to ask would you be willing to pay £1k?
PeacePipe18/06/2020 07:57

The chips are based on AMD*s designs that are used in PCs so in what way …The chips are based on AMD*s designs that are used in PCs so in what way are they incompatible?The architecture is different but that doesn’t mean it automatically break compatibility with the ISA.

Of course but the parts are unique and won’t have drivers developed for that standard windows environment. Of course with development it’s all possible but Microsoft won’t want it. They would completely destroy the Console ecosystem. Costing them money in the long run
that wud be a great idea
Full fat windows on AMD jaguar cores - atom performance- on a mechanical HD... Would not be fun
Post a comment
@
    Text