if people can hack windows????

12 replies
Found 9th Nov 2009
always wondered if microsoft can ban xboxes why cant they do the same with dodgy software on pcs?

1. Misc
  2. Windows
12 Comments

Which question are you actually asking here? the one in the title or the subtitle?

Ban them from doing what though?

Microsoft would rather people steal Windows, than not use it at all.

If you try to update a badly cracked version of a pirated Windows it will switch to a reduced functionality mode (lock you out on pre 2005 versions), until you provide a valid license key.

If you are on about illegal copies of windows they can block it in a sense where they inform you that you not got a real copy & need a licence version within so many days & if you have not got it within that time frame they stop windows booting up & you just get a message saying you need to get a licensed version now but there are patches you can apply to it to fix the problem

mrfun1981;6824653

If you are on about illegal copies of windows they can block it in a … If you are on about illegal copies of windows they can block it in a sense where they inform you that you not got a real copy & need a licence version within so many days & if you have not got it within that time frame they stop windows booting up & you just get a message saying you need to get a licensed version now but there are patches you can apply to it to fix the problem

they cant stop it booting up, you just get a little reminder permanantly on the screen that you are not running a genuine copy, which there is a patch for. They do stop you from getting the updates though.

juiceblaster;6824667

they cant stop it booting up, you just get a little reminder permanantly … they cant stop it booting up, you just get a little reminder permanantly on the screen that you are not running a genuine copy, which there is a patch for. They do stop you from getting the updates though.

Iv never had a problem with getting updates & iv not a original copy of windows for around 5 years now

mrfun1981;6824692

Iv never had a problem with getting updates & iv not a original copy of … Iv never had a problem with getting updates & iv not a original copy of windows for around 5 years now

maybe i'm confusing things, I think then if you turned off updates they can't find out its fake and so you don't have to put up with the annoying blurb, can't remember, I'm all genuine now.

SUMMONER;6824652

Microsoft would rather people steal Windows, than not use it at all.If … Microsoft would rather people steal Windows, than not use it at all.If you try to update a badly cracked version of a pirated Windows it will switch to a reduced functionality mode (lock you out on pre 2005 versions), until you provide a valid license key.

pre 2005 is anybody actually running pre 2005

juiceblaster;6824736

maybe i'm confusing things, I think then if you turned off updates they … maybe i'm confusing things, I think then if you turned off updates they can't find out its fake and so you don't have to put up with the annoying blurb, can't remember, I'm all genuine now.

With windows XP you can have updates on but you need to select which ones to install & make sure you DONT install the WGA update as thats the one that checks if you got a real copy or not.

I would think that vista & windows 7 is the same, iv got windows 7 now & not found a problem yet

Link to a article earlier this year which says mircrosoft will let every get updates for windows even if its not genuine

tomshardware.com/new…tml

juiceblaster;6824743

pre 2005 is anybody actually running pre 2005

Windows XP SP1 would be pre 2005.

It would technically be very easy for ms to "ban" pcs which have dodgy windows. They could ban it's mac. But they don't because they have nothing to gain. Unlike the £140 they'll make when they ban a console

"Microsoft would rather people steal Windows, than not use it at all."

It helps Microsoft in the long run, if people know how to use Microsoft software, through genuine copies or not then they have a hold on the market as businesses will opt to buy software people can use and not waste money training etc.

If MS came up with a way of blocking users with dodgy copies of windows/office then people would use alternatives and therefore would make MS software less relevant.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I5 7600k vs i5 740011
    2. Computer upgrades89
    3. Invisalign dental braces in London22
    4. Whey protien629

See more discussions