Groups

If something is compulsory in school should it always be free?

Just want to know the answer to that regarding swimming,my Mum says if it says on the letter it's compulsory then it should be free.

Had a look on internet about it and can't find anything so just wanted to know if anyone can point me in right direction,incase school bother me about it all,cos he may well refuse to go anyway,he's agreed to try it the once and see how it goes again.

He went last year and they never told me till at end of term that he wasn't getting into the water for long or participating in the lesson in anyway so I'm not willing to waste £18 again for nothing. Least when he goes with us he is more confidence as we go as a family and there are 2 adults supporting him.

82 Comments

I'd say it should be. Surely they can niot force you in to paying for something you may not want.

I have never paid for school swimming but I think it depends on the authority as I know people who have. I think they can ask for a contribution but isn't swimming now part of the curriculum?

I'm going back a couple of years, but I was told payment for swimming was treated as a donation, but without the "donation" the children would be unable to swim as the school could not afford it!

Supermod

For something beneficial to a child and outside of the school grounds then it should not be free. No.

If the pool was in the school grounds and they didnt have to pay to use it then yes, it should be free.

Original Poster

Banana79;5289518

I'd say it should be. Surely they can niot force you in to paying for … I'd say it should be. Surely they can niot force you in to paying for something you may not want.

Well I've signed the form to give the go ahead that he will try it as he said this morning he will give it ago again but I've also put on form I'm not willing to pay for it due to last time.
    They didn't tell me last time till end of term he was barely participating and quite happily took the cash off me each session for it.
    I'm more concerned about them making him go aswell as the money wasted.

magicjay1986;5289550

For something beneficial to a child and outside of the school grounds … For something beneficial to a child and outside of the school grounds then it should not be free. No. If the pool was in the school grounds and they didnt have to pay to use it then yes, it should be free.

+1. Well put.

Original Poster

magicjay1986;5289550

For something beneficial to a child and outside of the school grounds … For something beneficial to a child and outside of the school grounds then it should not be free. No. If the pool was in the school grounds and they didnt have to pay to use it then yes, it should be free.

They have to travel to the pool and apparantly 2 swimming teachers have been booked.

magicjay1986;5289550

If it was in the school grounds then the school budget would have to pay for upkeep which would be more than the local swimming pool for an hour a couple of times a week + transport. Don't follow the logic

Original Poster

munchingmilo;5289545

I'm going back a couple of years, but I was told payment for swimming was … I'm going back a couple of years, but I was told payment for swimming was treated as a donation, but without the "donation" the children would be unable to swim as the school could not afford it!

All it says here is if they don't get enough funds it will be cancelled. But loads of other stuff gets cancelled anyway due to this reason,so I don't really feel like we spoiling it for anyone else.
    He really doesn't want to go,he's autistic so if they make him go in and there is a big fuss and causes hassle for the next few days it be their own doing. He said he will try it the once and see how it goes,but I know him,it be a lot of fuss to get him in.

if it is in the school time - where alternative teaching would be available then yes it would be free!

trips etc are offered for free! but the school covers costs of traveling by asking them to pay!

Original Poster

murabi;5289628

if it is in the school time - where alternative teaching would be … if it is in the school time - where alternative teaching would be available then yes it would be free! trips etc are offered for free! but the school covers costs of traveling by asking them to pay!

It is in school time.

They awkward up there and I can't be doing with it at moment and I really don't want any fuss caused over this.I don't want him made to go in if he don't want to and I'm certainly not going pay for an activity he doesn't want to do.
    Anyway they be finished school today,off for a wk and it's not due to start till after then so I should try and not think into it.

Supermod

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5289577

They have to travel to the pool and apparantly 2 swimming teachers have … They have to travel to the pool and apparantly 2 swimming teachers have been booked.

Ah ok. I would say that it should not be free then. It might seem a bit unfair but the benefits gained from being able to swim are massive.

Supermod

hellfire;5289610

If it was in the school grounds then the school budget would have to pay … If it was in the school grounds then the school budget would have to pay for upkeep which would be more than the local swimming pool for an hour a couple of times a week + transport. Don't follow the logic

I cannot see what you are saying.

If the pool was in the school grounds and maintained by the school at their expense (with their alloted budget) then this thread would be redundant.

I have to pay £2.20 per swimming session which the are in the water at most for 30 mins!
    They expected me to pay even when my son refused to get in and even get changed! I of course refused!!
    It doesnt sound like much to pay but over the weeks it all adds up with cooking money (£1 per lesson) & loads of other stuff.

Original Poster

vinylandtrinkets;5289659

dont know about swimming as my son is still too young for it at his … dont know about swimming as my son is still too young for it at his school they have to be 8+ but with his music lessons we have to pay per term £52.00 as they have to bring in an outside teacher, this is done for all the music classes no matter what instrument they are learning, I will ask later at my son's school if they charge for the swimming lessons as they have a bus that collects the kids and 2 teachers and 2 teachers aids go with them.

My daughter been this year and she's in Yr 1 so it's different all over.
    Wow £52 a term,does he like it? I don't mind paying for something if they like it.
    That wouldn't happen here for lessons,there would hardly be any1 paying for it.I pay for everything like the school day trips they have out etc,but many time they get cancelled as a lot of time the funds are not met by a lot of people.
    However the school here is crafty at times,for instance there was a school trip to local museum,now I know the museum is free for residents here but they were after money for entrance and travel too,I think a lot of others knew this too maybe,the trip never went ahead.

But I'm not too happy about this swimming lark.

Banned

Didn't have to pay when I was in primary school 20 yrs ago :shock:

Original Poster

magicjay1986;5289688

Ah ok. I would say that it should not be free then. It might seem a bit … Ah ok. I would say that it should not be free then. It might seem a bit unfair but the benefits gained from being able to swim are massive.

Yeh I agree it's good thing to be confident in the water at and bonus if you can swim,I learnt while at school,there was always lessons and we would walk 15mins or so to the pool in all weather but he really doesn't want to go and it be money wasted if he doesn't want to get in etc.

Banned

I expect they budget based on all the children paying so it seems a little unfair for a few to refuse to because everyone then suffers. It's a case of cutting some lessons to appease a minority which is fair or unfair based on how you view it.

Original Poster

LisaJT;5289714

I have to pay £2.20 per swimming session which the are in the water at … I have to pay £2.20 per swimming session which the are in the water at most for 30 mins!They expected me to pay even when my son refused to get in and even get changed! I of course refused!!It doesnt sound like much to pay but over the weeks it all adds up with cooking money (£1 per lesson) & loads of other stuff.

Yeh they going be away for about 2 hrs so I think it must be about 1 hr of the pool,and the other hour to get changed and travel.
    Yeh everyting always adds up,I'm being pretty strict with cash at moment too.

Banned

lumoruk;5289730

didnt have to pay 10 years ago either, we went every thursday morning coach there and back included for Free , it was only 10 minutes down the road though but i still think it would be free :thumbsup:

Banned

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5289756

Yeh they going be away for about 2 hrs so I think it must be about 1 hr … Yeh they going be away for about 2 hrs so I think it must be about 1 hr of the pool,and the other hour to get changed and travel.Yeh everyting always adds up,I'm being pretty strict with cash at moment too.

is the swimming pool privately owned or is it local authority owned , if private may explain why there is a charge ;-)

Original Poster

h3ad_sh0tz;5289762

didnt have to pay 10 years ago either, we went every thursday morning … didnt have to pay 10 years ago either, we went every thursday morning coach there and back included for Free , it was only 10 minutes down the road though but i still think it would be free :thumbsup:

Started to go in primary school and having lived under various areas,can always recall it being free while we got actual lessons in primary school. The transport used to be free but I recall 1 school I went to we used to walk.

Later on in secondary school,we used to go for P.E if it was on the P.E timetable I used to always choose swimming over anything else if it was available,and we used to pay less than the child fare into the pool. It was basically just for leisure,there be the P.E teacher about but he would go supervise the boys in the gym and those in the pool were just left to it,teacher would just be there to make sure you turned up.We didn't get taught anything and if the pool wasn't too busy we could stay past the allocated 3.30 or so school time which usually me and my friends used to stay till 5pm or so.

Original Poster

h3ad_sh0tz;5289776

is the swimming pool privately owned or is it local authority owned , if … is the swimming pool privately owned or is it local authority owned , if private may explain why there is a charge ;-)

It like the local leisure centre,it's not a private pool in a hall or anything.

this is just the beginning......... are school uniforms compulsary? yes, are they free? no...... its something you need ot get used to, you may not like it and it may seem pointless but its for the childs benefit.

Original Poster

hellfire;5289813

Found … Found thishttp://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2008/jul/01/schoolsports.primaryeducation

I'll print this out if they should get onto me about it. Seems many are still being asked to pay though. 2 decades back and more it was unheard of paying it seems.

Original Poster

MinstrelMan;5289860

this is just the beginning......... are school uniforms compulsary? yes, … this is just the beginning......... are school uniforms compulsary? yes, are they free? no...... its something you need ot get used to, you may not like it and it may seem pointless but its for the childs benefit.

They are free for those on certain incomes,JSA, I/S although not all local authorities provide the grants. Here under Kent they not been around in ages,and I wouldn't be entitled anyway if they were.
    I know another person who partner got made redundant,they live elsewhere and she is able to claim £50 per school year as school uniform grant,per child.

This all boils down to budgets really.

Council budgets have been slashed dramatically in recent years and some things need to give.

If the school are having to provide transportation, qualified personnel and the pool's time - then it would make sense that parents make a contribution.

I don't think your sons lack of enthusiasm for swimming really comes into whether or not you should pay for it.

I pay nearly £5 for my sons half an hour pool time on a saturday, so I'd be happy paying only £2.20 ;-)

I see what your saying though, his school don't charge as they can walk to the nearby university pool (don't know about who pays for the pool teachers though) and its only in yr2 they have lessons.

Supermod

How much are they asking you to pay?

Original Poster

vinylandtrinkets;5289956

I wouldnt be happy either. My son loves his guitar lessons so i dont mind … I wouldnt be happy either. My son loves his guitar lessons so i dont mind paying for it. Its the same here though the school are always after money for something, last week was the sponsored walk the kids aged between7 and 10 walked 1 and 1/2 miles, all the money went to the school. Next month we have the BBQ, entrance fees and then collections for this or that. school trips which this year are costing over £30.00 a child, the older ones are going to thorpe park at £45.00 per child and my sons class and below are going to some plaything in Cardiff at £30.00 per childIts worse with our shool as its a church school and they only get a set amount from the government and local council the rest is funded by us or the church .If you little one doesnt want to take the lessons can they not stay in school in another class?

That be the idea if he doesn't want to go,he said he give it 1 go and see how goes but I know him,it won't go down too well.

Original Poster

magicjay1986;5290019

How much are they asking you to pay?

£3 a time, I know it's not a lot but for someone who going get there and not get in likely week after week like last year,then it's a waste. If they force him and anything happens,they only got themselves to blame.

hellfire;5289610

If it was in the school grounds then the school budget would have to pay … If it was in the school grounds then the school budget would have to pay for upkeep which would be more than the local swimming pool for an hour a couple of times a week + transport. Don't follow the logic

would depend on the school budget, my old school has a swimming pool and wallabies.

anywho swimming a healthy sport.

lumoruk;5289730

Or 30 yrs ago :w00t::w00t:

Original Poster

Alfonse;5290094

would depend on the school budget, my old school has a swimming pool and … would depend on the school budget, my old school has a swimming pool and wallabies.anywho swimming a healthy sport.

I can honestly say here that school as wasted cash anyway.

I'm sure that swiming is part of the PE curriculum for Key Stage 2 so don't see why you should have to pay for curriculum entitlement.

yeha i was talking about this, subjects like home economics are compulsary and they charge you

swimming for my daughter is free (North Tyneside) yet we are asked to pay £3 per week for coach hire.

Original Poster

Paddy_o_furniture;5291610

swimming for my daughter is free (North Tyneside) yet we are asked to pay … swimming for my daughter is free (North Tyneside) yet we are asked to pay £3 per week for coach hire.

Yeh well I been to school this afternoon to get the kids and had a word with his teacher.I said we'll try it for 1 week and if he doesn't participate then it's upto if you want to take him anymore to see if he will,but I won't be paying each other wk for nothing,no point if he not getting in the water.

If theres 25 in the class thats £75 for coach hire,is it really that much for a coach each time.I thought like schools could hire local council authority coaches for way less for trips out and to and from activities like swimming.

Original Poster

shosie;5291499

yeha i was talking about this, subjects like home economics are … yeha i was talking about this, subjects like home economics are compulsary and they charge you

Least you get to eat the food afterwards...if it's edible.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1435
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4592145
      3. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay1023
      4. Sky Fibre Max22

See more discussions