If theres a GTX 1080 "bargain", is it worth getting or waiting for Volta?

Found 26th Mar
Given the current high prices and low availability of high end Nvidia graphics cards, if for example a "bargain" crops up like a high end GTX 1080 for £500, is it worth getting, or waiting till Volta gets announced/released?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
6 Comments
If your waiting to build a new P.C or desperate for a card then yes go for it.
If you already have something you will definitely benefit more from waiting and getting a 1170* for less cost with more performance and brand new with warranty ect.
Historically, it's nearly always been a bad idea to buy GPUs at the end of their generation. There have been a few exceptions with AMD products (particularly when retailers clear old inventory in anticipation of new, even though the 'new' cards are just the old cards with different names), but you never usually get that great a deal, especially considering the performance, efficiency, and features the following generation gets.
On the high end cards I'd say go for it, if you're looking at that level in the first place then value for money isn't a big factor.
Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. I currently have a GTX 1050 ti which runs the few games I play at max resolution/settings for my monitor, so am not in a hurry to upgrade. There are a few games coming out soon or later this year that I do want to upgrade for as they're more graphically intensive, which is why I'm looking for an upgrade, but for now I can wait.

My only concerns with waiting were:

1) This "crypto bubble" we're supposedly in that has resulted in sky high gfx card prices, what stops the manufacturers from releasing the next gen of more efficient high end cards at a similarly high price point, at least until the bubble (if it is one) well and truly bursts which might be what, a year, two years from now? Are we sure that an 1170 or 1180 won't be priced at e.g. £500 and £800?

2) What kind of gaming performance increase are we likely to see in Volta? I'm no expert and haven't had time to read up on much (and won't pretend that I understand alot of the technical stuff), but just wondering if the next gen is more aimed at boosting mining performance than gaming. Are Nvidia more reliable when it comes to consistently having significant performance upgrades, as opposed to AMD style rebadging?
Edited by: "rofldinho" 26th Mar
1) Oh they will be. Miners prize power efficiency so a new, more efficient architecture will be in massive demand. It will make the current cards less desirable though so their prices may fall.

2) It's usually around 50-70% between equivalent models (i.e. same power consumption). Chips are designed a long time in advance, so it's too soon to expect more than a slight shift towards matching AMD's dominance in that market.

nVidia have rebadged in the past just as much as AMD have. The G92 chip originally released as the Geforce 8800GT for example became the 8800 GTS Mk2, then the 9800GTX, then the 9800GTX+ before having a cameo in the OEM-only GTS 150 and ending up as the GTS 250.

AMD have just been sparse with new releases last five years because of the drain from their CPU division caused by the failure of the Bulldozen design. With the success of Ryzen and the popularity of Radeons for mining I'd expect more investment in AMD GPUs in the coming years.

Although I personally wouldn't be upgrading to a GTX 1080 for a couple of games if you're happy with a 1050ti. They may have a few demanding options you can turn on for marginal image quality gain, but they're not going to run badly on your current card.
In my case I'd jump the 1080 a go for the 1080ti. Sounds daft but if you go for VR or 4k later on the difference between the 1080 and 1080ti is worth it. Paying £200 extra now will probably get you a couple more years of high tier performance out of the card. Looks like the new cards are aiming towards real time raytracing which will take a while to get right.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants