If you drive a car, please read..

16 replies
Found 7th Feb 2007
I have copied the following from the livejournal.com/%7E…_uk livejournal_uk community.

If you drive a car, please read -

Sarah Kennedy was talking about this proposed car tax scheme on Radio 2.

Apparently there is only Until the 20th February left to register your objection to the 'Pay As You Go' road tax.

The petition is on the 10 Downing St website but they didn't tell anybody about it. Therefore at the time of Sarah's comments only 696,025 people had signed it and 750,000 signatures are required for the government to at least take any notice.

Once you've given your details (you don't have to give your full address, just house number and postcode will do), they will send you an email with a link in it. Once you click on that link, you'll have signed the petition.

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it. The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a delivery driver. A non working mother who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month.

On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit in time you can probably expect a Notice of Intended Prosecution with your monthly bill.

If you are concerned about this Orwellian plan and want to stop the constant bashing of the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website (link below) and pass this on to as many people as possible. Sign up if you value your freedom and democratic rights

petitions.pm.gov.uk/tra…ax/petitions.pm.gov.uk/tra…ax/

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
17 Comments

i think this has been posted before? or something similar?

hotukdeals.com/for…ion

yeh this got posted a few months ago. although im sure it had reached millions of people not thousands as suggested

Original Poster

oops!! I completely missed it! :oops:

Feel free to delete mods!

Worth a reminder for those who missed it though Sharon. :thumbsup:

cuzzy

Worth a reminder for those who missed it though Sharon. :thumbsup:

def, :thumbsup:

Does #10 even officially recognise electronic/online petitions?
I'd be surprised if they really do.

I'm really hoping Top Gear mention this next Sunday, they if anyone will get the mass support to try and delay this kind of tax (it's kind of invitable long term I think, privacy? no longer exists)

I wonder where EU human rights law stands on this.

It's got over 800,000 signatures on it now:thumbsup:

ThePennyPincher

yeh this got posted a few months ago. although im sure it had reached … yeh this got posted a few months ago. although im sure it had reached millions of people not thousands as suggested

So far only 801,376 signatures.:-(

ultimately the government will do whatever it wants and whatever it takes to achieve it. it doesn't matter what government is in power, they all are the same and we end up of this illusion of "choice". they make us think we get a vote, but current events etc are played out in a way to basically control what we think we want.

global warming wasn't recognised a few years ago by any government, and now their is some money to be made on cars it's a hot topic!

i agree something needs to be done, but charging more isn't going to solve anything. If i could get away with not doing any driving for my job I would! but the majority of the country and even the world are in a position where commuting is nessasary and ironically the government and bigger corporations (lol they are basically all the same thing!) have given us no other option but to use a car/truck/lorry...

none of these cars that run on love etc seem to get off the ground

i just wish people cared more about what happens like everyone seemed to of 50+ years ago when this country was a major player in just about everything. nowadays it's all about driving an audi and getting a 100" tele :-(

Currently at 803,521

It is getting out of hand in this country the amount of tax that we pay on everything not just on cars etc. This won't solve any of the problems, before anyone would consider not using their car they need to drastically improve the public transport in this country. Out public transport system is so poor and expensive compared to other countries

Ive forwarded this on and signed - only commenting so it keeps high up on the list and more people see it.
Thanks Guys
xx

The signatures are flying in. I don't currently drive but I'll be damned if I want another cost associated with driving when I do!
822696 and counting, that's over 2000 more in the time it took me to fill it out and click the confirm email link.

Signed !!

828,964 now

My car now qualifies for £50 VED as it's under 120gsm emissions.

I'd rather not go back to paying a fortune again!

Just signed.

Get your signature in before it ends on the 20th, cant see how anyone can be in favour of this ridiculous invasion of privacy and waste of money.

http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1499116.gif

Hopefully that & Clarksons column in tomorrows Sunday Times and hopefully a mention tomorrows Top Gear Sunday BBC2 8PM might push this long to millions.

1,033,980 now!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. amazon echo idiots guide45
    2. Whey protien625
    3. Bean to cup machine66
    4. eBay query1018

See more discussions