If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?

Found 22nd Aug 2017
As the question says, to expand the business needs to be run from home.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
45 Comments

I'd love to start a business making jams and chutney and the like so I would spend the money converting my garage to make a kitchen to make these in.

Not sure. Think I’d open up a milkshake shop.

Loan Shark.

psychobitchfromhell29 m ago

I'd love to start a business making jams and chutney and the like so I …I'd love to start a business making jams and chutney and the like so I would spend the money converting my garage to make a kitchen to make these in.

Now now girl

You don't need to use the garage

Just clear out all those gadgets and appliances that you've purchased over the last few years or more that have been used once or still in their box unopened

Then just get back in the kitchen where you belong

ps for all the SJW's and feminists and gender neutral / transgender or whatever you want to be identified as - it's humour something from a long long time ago where people laughed and enjoyed the satire... oh forget it just get back to your tablet/phone
at least I know pschobitchfromhell will chuckle

Game design, you could do something special with 50k

A website where you could find deals, really good exciting deals and no negative voting unless substantiated by fact and more importantly no flamedeer

Oh wait ................... where am I

Is that copyright infringement? with my added changes

Shatwell23 m ago

Loan Shark.

Shark Loans, although not many homes have the aquarium space.

On a more serious note I'd probably design a piece of hardware. Identify a gap in a market you're familiar with, get prototypes made using the initial fund and then crowdfund it when you're ready to go into production. It's a high risk strategy, but a lot of fun and it seems like a great start for a business if you are successful.

philphil6122 m ago

Now now girlYou don't need to use the garageJust clear out all those …Now now girlYou don't need to use the garageJust clear out all those gadgets and appliances that you've purchased over the last few years or more that have been used once or still in their box unopenedThen just get back in the kitchen where you belong ps for all the SJW's and feminists and gender neutral / transgender or whatever you want to be identified as - it's humour something from a long long time ago where people laughed and enjoyed the satire... oh forget it just get back to your tablet/phoneat least I know pschobitchfromhell will chuckle

Indeed I will. Thing is my kitchen diner is like 27 feet by 11 which should be big enough but somehow it isn't . It works well as it is and it would be sacrilege to abuse it by cooking in it. Garage is full of stuff which needs sorting out and is far too narrow to fit a car in unless you wish to exit via sunroof. My car does not have a sunroof. Irony is I don't even like jam. Of all the talents you could have, what good is making jam for someone who never eats the stuff?

psychobitchfromhell14 m ago

Indeed I will. Thing is my kitchen diner is like 27 feet by 11 which …Indeed I will. Thing is my kitchen diner is like 27 feet by 11 which should be big enough but somehow it isn't . It works well as it is and it would be sacrilege to abuse it by cooking in it. Garage is full of stuff which needs sorting out and is far too narrow to fit a car in unless you wish to exit via sunroof. My car does not have a sunroof. Irony is I don't even like jam. Of all the talents you could have, what good is making jam for someone who never eats the stuff?

Your kitchen diner is big enough it's just your ambition that's restrictive

The only reason your garage appears narrow is because you're a wo.....

Shut up Phil
You car had a sunroof but all the makeup spilt whilst you were driving has hidden it
Edited by: "philphil61" 22nd Aug 2017

Cat prostitute. You could rent me out to make your cat purr.

Go to property auctions, in some areas £50k will get you a flat or small terrace house.
Or a few holiday cabins/apartments if your ok with site fees/ground rent and leases.

Relatively easy money for minimal work as long as your willing to do a lot of research and leg work to begin.

As long as nothing major happens it will only go up in price so about as safe an investment as you can get.

It costs less to insure the car on the drive than in the garage which is ridiculous. Another reason for converting the garage into a kitchen would be to stop son and heir annexing it. There are two of us in a four bedroom house and so far he occupies two bedrooms and two thirds of the attic. He has ideas on the garage being a home gym and I caught him sleeping in the spare bedroom the other night. I offered him my other house if he was prepared to pay the rent on it but that didn't go down well.
As for the driving bit, I seem to remember a video of you falling off your motorbike......

Padded room, and locked away in a straight jacket weekend experiences - large discount for a limited time to hukd members or their loved ones.

Free 'breakfast in a bowl' on your next visit if you provide an honest trip advisor review after your stay.

joedastudd15 m ago

Go to property auctions, in some areas £50k will get you a flat or small …Go to property auctions, in some areas £50k will get you a flat or small terrace house.Or a few holiday cabins/apartments if your ok with site fees/ground rent and leases.Relatively easy money for minimal work as long as your willing to do a lot of research and leg work to begin.As long as nothing major happens it will only go up in price so about as safe an investment as you can get.

50k could get you a two up two down round here but there a lot of other factors to take into consideration. Last year I had to replace the fence at my rental property which cost £850. On Sunday my tenant sent me a text saying the shower was broken so that will cost me a few hundred quid and within the next couple of years I will need to replace the boiler. It isn't that lucrative. Other thing is, it is a case of the buck stops with you. If it is four in the morning and the roof blows off, that is your problem not the tenants.

psychobitchfromhell2 h, 19 m ago

It costs less to insure the car on the drive than in the garage which is …It costs less to insure the car on the drive than in the garage which is ridiculous. Another reason for converting the garage into a kitchen would be to stop son and heir annexing it. There are two of us in a four bedroom house and so far he occupies two bedrooms and two thirds of the attic. He has ideas on the garage being a home gym and I caught him sleeping in the spare bedroom the other night. I offered him my other house if he was prepared to pay the rent on it but that didn't go down well. As for the driving bit, I seem to remember a video of you falling off your motorbike......

"As for the driving bit, I seem to remember a video of you falling off your motorbike."

roflmao you got me

And the rest you wrote has confused the hell out of me - I'll pm you

Professional gambler. Put it all on red.

Tough luck

31760879-Bvg8Q.jpg

Bank transfer or paypal gift?

Original Poster

joedastudd11 h, 19 m ago

Go to property auctions, in some areas £50k will get you a flat or small …Go to property auctions, in some areas £50k will get you a flat or small terrace house.Or a few holiday cabins/apartments if your ok with site fees/ground rent and leases.Relatively easy money for minimal work as long as your willing to do a lot of research and leg work to begin.As long as nothing major happens it will only go up in price so about as safe an investment as you can get.

Am looking for a property, it's not as easy as you or "homes under the hammer" suggest. I think the big money is buying houses in outside london and moving them inside london :-) for example 3 bed detached with land in Wales = £130k in London £1.5m :-)

I would start my own software company primarily creating automated accounts software. All the accounting packages I have used have too much need for simple data entry which can be automated 99% of the time.

If I didn't have to do it from home I would open an optician for my other half, she would manage the shop etc and I would just do her books for her.

MSK.11 h, 51 m ago

Cat prostitute. You could rent me out to make your cat purr.

Original Poster

CoeK20 m ago

I would start my own software company primarily creating automated …I would start my own software company primarily creating automated accounts software. All the accounting packages I have used have too much need for simple data entry which can be automated 99% of the time.If I didn't have to do it from home I would open an optician for my other half, she would manage the shop etc and I would just do her books for her.

You don't know how qualified I am to do that or how difficult it would be. The are massive packages for accounting and simple one.

PulisOut6 m ago

You don't know how qualified I am to do that or how difficult it would be. …You don't know how qualified I am to do that or how difficult it would be. The are massive packages for accounting and simple one.

I was answering for me not for you.

I have used a variety of accounting packages, they all fall short imo.

deeky12 m ago

Apparently, there's quite the market for it...
31762183-BNcNU.jpg

fivegoldstars47 m ago

Apparently, there's quite the market for it...[Image]

I just thought all that stuff was illegal

Whatever it was I would make a business plan and approach a bank for financial assistance and accept my home would be used as security. Cashflow is the single biggest issue for startup businesses and £50k is quite restrictive. It can be done, but a business plan is always a good thing to do. I reckon a good personal training/bootcamp business offering group workouts is a pretty sound choice. I happily pay more per month than any gym membership I've had in the past. I actually go three times a week where it's 45m sessions, no faffing about, whereas previous gym memberships have ended in messing around for 30 mins, a sauna and then home once a week. You need to know what you're doing though and a membership diet plan helps sell it
Edited by: "OllieSt" 23rd Aug 2017

AV consultancy. Someone gives me a budget and requirements for their home entertainment setup, I'll buy the kit, install it, program up a universal remote, etc. The £50k can go towards stockpiling an inventory of decent pieces of kit when they turn up cheap on HUKD

psychobitchfromhell15 h, 0 m ago

Indeed I will. Thing is my kitchen diner is like 27 feet by 11 which …Indeed I will. Thing is my kitchen diner is like 27 feet by 11 which should be big enough but somehow it isn't . It works well as it is and it would be sacrilege to abuse it by cooking in it. Garage is full of stuff which needs sorting out and is far too narrow to fit a car in unless you wish to exit via sunroof. My car does not have a sunroof. Irony is I don't even like jam. Of all the talents you could have, what good is making jam for someone who never eats the stuff?

my god, that's massive, i've worked in commercial kitchens slinging out 3 courses for 60+ people in a smaller space

jax6196 h, 41 m ago

how much do you charge?I have a disabled cat looks like this[Image] … how much do you charge?I have a disabled cat looks like this[Image] However the poor thing has no legs or ears Oh and no tail.I warn you though he spits when he purrs for to long

are you sure that's a cat? its looks like some kind of snake or devil creature.

eset123452 m ago

my god, that's massive, i've worked in commercial kitchens slinging out 3 …my god, that's massive, i've worked in commercial kitchens slinging out 3 courses for 60+ people in a smaller space

My kitchen is at least that size. I think it was possibly supposed to be a diner kitchen split by a breakfast bar but I've never put a dining table in and the people before us removed the breakfast bar.

Feels like a lot of wasted space tbh.
Edited by: "CoeK" 23rd Aug 2017

Original Poster

stevenjameshyde40 m ago

AV consultancy. Someone gives me a budget and requirements for their home …AV consultancy. Someone gives me a budget and requirements for their home entertainment setup, I'll buy the kit, install it, program up a universal remote, etc. The £50k can go towards stockpiling an inventory of decent pieces of kit when they turn up cheap on HUKD

You wouldn't last long, the very last thing a new business should be doing is stocking piling. Your aim should be to get the stock on need basis with sale or return. Holding stock costs money.

PulisOut20 m ago

You wouldn't last long, the very last thing a new business should be doing …You wouldn't last long, the very last thing a new business should be doing is stocking piling. Your aim should be to get the stock on need basis with sale or return. Holding stock costs money.

Exactly. Especially when it is a type of stock that goes out of date pretty quickly.

PulisOut20 m ago

You wouldn't last long, the very last thing a new business should be doing …You wouldn't last long, the very last thing a new business should be doing is stocking piling. Your aim should be to get the stock on need basis with sale or return. Holding stock costs money.

This would be an excellent thing to know if I had any serious intention of doing any of this

I've always seen a big gap in the market for a "we'll buy stuff online for you and have it delivered here for you to pick up later" shop...
The name might be in need of a small tweak though!
I see/hear too many elderly people being told in shops that they can only get an item they need online, which if they don't have Internet access is no different to telling them to jog on
Charge a fair minimum fee, with a percentage based mark up. 2-3 staff per shop, one in charge of finding products and processing the sale, one in charge of loading/unloading the items in/out of the back warehouse.

You've got all the benefits of every shop on the market, with none of the issues of stock becoming outdated, theft etc

Build a car park near some type of holiday theme park - the one near Skegness seems to make a killing.

I would like to get back in the antiques game, but then remember what a pain it was finding stock, selling it was a doddle.

So probably a review site for a specific sector of Mental health, reviewing all the products available, via a Board of members represented by both clinicians and patients.

eset123453 h, 56 m ago

my god, that's massive, i've worked in commercial kitchens slinging out 3 …my god, that's massive, i've worked in commercial kitchens slinging out 3 courses for 60+ people in a smaller space

Yeah but they probably have more than one cooker in them and no washing machine or dining table. It is a big kitchen. It was one of the things that attracted me to the house in the first place
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 23rd Aug 2017

Buy a van, rent shop space and go bargain hunting over gum tree, sphock and eBay collection only.

Then stock the shop with used goods.

Seen some expensive things go for mega cheap because people can't collect.

Hell, I even bought a £150 skateboard grind rail (element) for £16 hardly used was a 40mile drive to collect.

The guy gave me all his kids old skateboards and scooters as it was just in his garage taking up room (brand new it would've been £600+ with ease).

Original Poster

kos1c12 m ago

Buy a van, rent shop space and go bargain hunting over gum tree, sphock …Buy a van, rent shop space and go bargain hunting over gum tree, sphock and eBay collection only. Then stock the shop with used goods. Seen some expensive things go for mega cheap because people can't collect. Hell, I even bought a £150 skateboard grind rail (element) for £16 hardly used was a 40mile drive to collect. The guy gave me all his kids old skateboards and scooters as it was just in his garage taking up room (brand new it would've been £600+ with ease).

Well done, yes I agree the are some bargains to be had but the profit is not in it for a business. Van £2,000, Shop space £2k a month = Stock if you can find it £40k. Lets say you made 50% on each item ? profit £20k less expenses starting at £14k :-) Working about 16 hours a day,

PulisOut7 m ago

Well done, yes I agree the are some bargains to be had but the profit is …Well done, yes I agree the are some bargains to be had but the profit is not in it for a business. Van £2,000, Shop space £2k a month = Stock if you can find it £40k. Lets say you made 50% on each item ? profit £20k less expenses starting at £14k :-) Working about 16 hours a day,

Yeah true would need to have a few workers that would know it'll be a long road a head (family business low pay at first maybe).

But then could just be long hours for nothing in the end.

Other idea I have is designing a website based company. Wouldn't cost as much and may not take up more man hours.

Or just go down the Nigerian Prince scam route

Phil has got to be the cringiest user on here. Give it a rest.
Post a comment
@
    Text