If you know someone is driving without M.O.T...Let it be?

Found 4th Nov 2015
As above. What would you do?
Also They vehicle is leaking oil and has been for months.
Community Updates
Ask
55 Comments
Depends who they are?
I'm assuming you know them to some extent to know their car has no MOT. For me it would be down to who they are and why. If they are clearly struggling and have no choice but to use the car I would talk to them and explain why its important (especially if they have kids in the car for example), perhaps even loan them the money if you know them well enough?
If they are just being an idiot and would rather have a night out than MOT the car then maybe report to 101?
if they crash they will have no insurance?
Aren't all MOT details handled electronically these days? Wouldn't the DVLA/police know already that the car does not have an MOT?
Edited by: "cdm22" 4th Nov 2015
Original Poster
I know them. Not friendly with them. They recently had the car cleaned to a perfect shine. So they are happy to spend money on aesthetics.
No mot will ping an anpr camera if and when they go past one, just as no tax or insurance will, so sooner or later they will get pulled. As for reporting them, maybe they have forgotten to renew it?
How do you know that it doesn't have an MOT with 100% certainty? You don't have to display anything on the car.
Here's how you check: gov.uk/che…tus

It also shows road tax status. All you need is car make and registration plate.
Edited by: "rufnek2kx" 4th Nov 2015
Original Poster
IamMT

How do you know that it doesn't have an MOT with 100% certainty? You … How do you know that it doesn't have an MOT with 100% certainty? You don't have to display anything on the car.

It's free to check the mot status of cars. It's taxed but has no mot
bigjay_uk

Thanks, I just checked mine - my MOT expires on the 20th of this month. I am currently outside the UK and may not return before then. The car is on a private road not a public highway. Will I be OK to just book a MOT upon my return (ie after current MOT has expired)?
I'd grass them up right away. I have to pay it, so do they.
bigjay_uk

Didn't think you could tax a car without a valid mot??
Think of it as saving Someone's life as the MOT is to see if it is roadworthy to drive and if the brakes fail...........
Original Poster
bobdylan

Didn't think you could tax a car without a valid mot??

The car must of been taxed when it was valid. Mot expired September. Taxed till March
Their insurance is void if they have no MOT, no excuse. Hate people who think they are excluded from things the rest of us have to budget for and pay, if you can't afford it take the bus.
bigjay_uk

I know them. Not friendly with them. They recently had the car cleaned to … I know them. Not friendly with them. They recently had the car cleaned to a perfect shine. So they are happy to spend money on aesthetics.

How old is the car? Old cars aren't required to take the MOT, I think the cut off date is some time in the 60s or 70s, and obviously anything under 3 years old doesn't need one but presumably wouldn't be leaking oil.

If it requires an MOT and they're just being an idiot about it then I'd definitely report them, especially with the evidence that they don't appear to know how to care for it mechanically.
I used to think mots were a waste of time and just another excuse to milk the cash cow that is the motorist' however some cars need an mot because not to put to fine a point in it they shouldn't be on the road because they are illegal - in other words an accident waiting to happen!

Best thing to do is way up the car maybe do your own mot on the qt' if you think it's a death trap then snitch if not let it be and monitor the situation oO

Tell you what forget that last post - just get onto the DVLA and let them know - you could be saving a life!

And as somebody else mentioned we all have to pay it and so should they
IamMT

Thanks, I just checked mine - my MOT expires on the 20th of this month. … Thanks, I just checked mine - my MOT expires on the 20th of this month. I am currently outside the UK and may not return before then. The car is on a private road not a public highway. Will I be OK to just book a MOT upon my return (ie after current MOT has expired)?

Ye you will be fine. I recently checked mine online and realised I was 2 weeks over! booked it in ASAP and didn't hear anything from the DVLA. I'd assume its common for people to go slightly over so I bet they give it a good month before taking action (even then I would assume the first step would just be a warning letter)
I would just write a message and leave it on the car just in case they have forgotten ( its happened to me before) and give it a week and if its still not had a M.O.T report them.
will make no difference with the new system they will be getting a letter from the DVLA or worse if they haven't updated their address and it flags when they are picked up by the police (I know long shot). from the police website "the further you travel the more likelihood there is of your vehicle triggering an ANPR camera and you being stopped."
Edited by: "eslick" 4th Nov 2015
Deaa

Ye you will be fine. I recently checked mine online and realised I was 2 … Ye you will be fine. I recently checked mine online and realised I was 2 weeks over! booked it in ASAP and didn't hear anything from the DVLA. I'd assume its common for people to go slightly over so I bet they give it a good month before taking action (even then I would assume the first step would just be a warning letter)

I may be longer than a month and I won't get the letter! Oh well it is not on a public highway, so fingers crossed.
is the car in question a green Honda?
that oil leak has been annoying us as
I'm sat in Costa checking who's got an mot ....so far 2 out of 6 haven't I'm shocked but now I'm looking around the people in here guessing who's car is who's. .......... oO
I would report they may have dodgy brakes and may fly into a nightclub queue or a bus stop where a inocent mum is waziting for the number 49 and some idiot crashes into her killing her two young toddlers !!
Original Poster
EndlessWaves

How old is the car? Old cars aren't required to take the MOT, I think the … How old is the car? Old cars aren't required to take the MOT, I think the cut off date is some time in the 60s or 70s, and obviously anything under 3 years old doesn't need one but presumably wouldn't be leaking oil.If it requires an MOT and they're just being an idiot about it then I'd definitely report them, especially with the evidence that they don't appear to know how to care for it mechanically.

07 plate
Its such an easy thing to do, because there is no system in place to remind you. Its funny how road tax is so criminalised whereas MOT (which could actually lead to death) is not as stringent.
Original Poster
terrinow

is the car in question a green Honda?that oil leak has been annoying us … is the car in question a green Honda?that oil leak has been annoying us as

No
Original Poster
Jason89

I would just write a message and leave it on the car just in case they … I would just write a message and leave it on the car just in case they have forgotten ( its happened to me before) and give it a week and if its still not had a M.O.T report them.

I've been snooping on your car mot history and noticed it's nearly 2 months over due. Don't think I'd dare. Lol
Original Poster
mattinhull

I'm sat in Costa checking who's got an mot ....so far 2 out of 6 haven't … I'm sat in Costa checking who's got an mot ....so far 2 out of 6 haven't I'm shocked but now I'm looking around the people in here guessing who's car is who's. .......... oO

It is good fun isn't it. I checked my old cars. Then things escalated lol. Are you going to report?
Donkii

Their insurance is void if they have no MOT, no excuse. Hate people who … Their insurance is void if they have no MOT, no excuse. Hate people who think they are excluded from things the rest of us have to budget for and pay, if you can't afford it take the bus.

Not usually. It may be in the rules of some insurance companies but the usual requirement is that the vehicle is roadworthy.
IamMT

Thanks, I just checked mine - my MOT expires on the 20th of this month. … Thanks, I just checked mine - my MOT expires on the 20th of this month. I am currently outside the UK and may not return before then. The car is on a private road not a public highway. Will I be OK to just book a MOT upon my return (ie after current MOT has expired)?

Yes. As long as it is insured you can book it in for an MOT and as long as it is roadworthy you are allowed to drive to a pre-booked mot even if you dont have mot or tax.
Original Poster
smellyonion

Its such an easy thing to do, because there is no system in place to … Its such an easy thing to do, because there is no system in place to remind you. Its funny how road tax is so criminalised whereas MOT (which could actually lead to death) is not as stringent.

I agree. I think if reminders were sent. Even via email not necessarily post, a lot less people would be driving around with no mot.
Don't report it to the dvla, report it to the police. MOTs are there for a reason, no one is above the law
mas99

Cool, it is taxed until January.Yes. As long as it is insured you can … Cool, it is taxed until January.Yes. As long as it is insured you can book it in for an MOT and as long as it is roadworthy you are allowed to drive to a pre-booked mot even if you dont have mot or tax.

ktm666

Don't report it to the dvla, report it to the police. MOTs are there for … Don't report it to the dvla, report it to the police. MOTs are there for a reason, no one is above the law

http://s21.postimg.org/kzv77ij9j/image.png
No MOT = No insurance. Having been a victim of this years ago, I'd grass them up without a 2nd. thought.
If people want to dodge something I wish they would dodge tax as it means nothing. There could be a serious defect with the car that could end up people losing their lives.
No MOT doesn't necessarily mean no insurance, most policies state the car must be in a roadworthy condition. The MOT only proves the car was roadworthy on the day tested. If their policy states they must have MOT then they aren't insured but few policies state that.
HondaLad

If people want to dodge something I wish they would dodge tax as it means … If people want to dodge something I wish they would dodge tax as it means nothing. There could be a serious defect with the car that could end up people losing their lives.

Yep, dodging tax means nothing...... It's not like it pays for the police, schools, the NHS or anything important like that, is it?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions