if you sell something on facebook how long can the buyer ask for a refund?

Found 10th Dec 2012
i sold some toys on facebook at the end of October, (they were working perfectly fine) then yesterday the lady contacts me saying theyre not working can she return them? I suggested she gets new batteries as they were working. My son says not to give her a refund as we know they were working and its been too long now, almost 6 weeks. What would you do?
Community Updates
MiscFacebook
20 Comments
Kindly refer them to the manufacturers warranty.

I assume you sold via one of the Facebook groups, I don't think they're bound by any selling terms and conditions like eBay is. And besides, this is the risk you take when buying second hand goods.
what toys were they? (just nosey lol)

I wouldn't give her a refund and I'd be telling her she has got a cheek asking.
since when was facebook for selling? :s
steve01980

Kindly refer them to the manufacturers warranty.I assume you sold via one … Kindly refer them to the manufacturers warranty.I assume you sold via one of the Facebook groups, I don't think they're bound by any selling terms and conditions like eBay is. And besides, this is the risk you take when buying second hand goods.

I agree, it's a case of "sold as seen"
Up to you really, you could tell them where to go, or you could help them out, it all depends. Just sympathise and say what you can, but at the end of the day, you are not a retailer, you can't predict things going wrong, you sold them working to the best of your knowledge.
Banned
alanlukeb1

since when was facebook for selling? :s

THIS?

wtf.
I would ask her to look at other options as she may be(?) responsible since she clearly had them for about 6 weeks(?) and even consumer law wont justify a refund. She should contact the manufacturer to resolve her disputes just give her the manufacturers number and email to contact so she can resolve the dispute. But thats said knowing only half the story I dont know what to say other than that since the other person isnt present to make her account.
What is the toy?
No chance, 6 weeks is far too long! Obviously worked fine until now, they are just trying their luck.

What sort of toy was it and what fault does it now have?
aircanman

What is the toy?

Also does it have ears?
Original Poster
I sold some paper jamz toys, 2 guitars, 2 amps and a drumpad for £20, she just needed to get a lead to connect to the amp as I couldnt find mine. Then yesterday she messaged that she had tried the guitars with the amp and they didnt work and could she drop them off today. My son says they were working fine as he'd been playing with them just before I sold them, so I sent her a message asking her to check she had the right lead and to check the batteries, but my son seems to think shes either broken them or she needs the money as its near christmas and to tell her sorry but its been too long. I think I will give her the manufacturers email and tell her to contact them as why would she wait this long before trying them, does seem a bit strange, I know if I bought something second hand I would try it out straight away not 6 weeks later. Thanks guys for all your advice, sometmes it helps to get someone elses viewpoint.
jasmin49

I sold some paper jamz toys, 2 guitars, 2 amps and a drumpad for £20, she … I sold some paper jamz toys, 2 guitars, 2 amps and a drumpad for £20, she just needed to get a lead to connect to the amp as I couldnt find mine. Then yesterday she messaged that she had tried the guitars with the amp and they didnt work and could she drop them off today. My son says they were working fine as he'd been playing with them just before I sold them, so I sent her a message asking her to check she had the right lead and to check the batteries, but my son seems to think shes either broken them or she needs the money as its near christmas and to tell her sorry but its been too long. I think I will give her the manufacturers email and tell her to contact them as why would she wait this long before trying them, does seem a bit strange, I know if I bought something second hand I would try it out straight away not 6 weeks later. Thanks guys for all your advice, sometmes it helps to get someone elses viewpoint.

Absolutely sold as seen. If she wants the luxury of aftersales she can pay for it in Argos!
Your not a shop, so you don't have to refund her.
shops give 28 days money back guarantee not 6 weeks, tell them where to go
Edited by: "siwrath" 10th Dec 2012
siwrath

shops give 28 days money back guarantee not 6 weeks, tell them where to go

Not all shops.
Yes I agree with most here that you should just tell her **** happens. Taking the pish I think.
you know why she wants her money back because home bargins has them all for £5 each so for £25 she could get the lot all new and not second hand

i know as i just bought my son a guitar for xmas for £5
Even if she bought them in advance for a present and only just checked them, it's not your problem. Se should have checked them when she got home or asked to see them being used in your home when she picked them up.

I wouldn't buy any item that needs a power source or battery without first seeing it working in the sellers home.

Private sales are sold as seen, so she doesn't have a leg to stand on.
OP did this person pick up from you? i`ve seen some nasty stuff on my facebook groups! just saying.oO
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants