If you use any alternative or natural health products........

Found 21st Apr 2011
If you use any alternative or herbal remedies or know someone who does you will find the following information useful.
To be honest I had heard that a ban was coming but knew nothing of timescales.

I have been the recipient of a number of licenced drugs and I can attest that they are not without side effects. Whether or not I choose to take alternatives I have been happy to know that they are there.

If this European ruling is passed in its current form, it could make any kind of alternative therapies illegal. Unless they have undergone the same test procedures as big pharma uses. That also applies to remedies that have been used for thousands of years.
Producers of alternatives do not have the same resources as big pharma so passing the lengthy and expensive testing controls are unlikely meaning that they will then become illegal products.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
24 Comments

Banned

So things that people might put into their bodies will have to be tested like those evil drugs that 'big pharma' produces.

Not surprised to see this on Hitler's birthday. oO

Original Poster

Its nothing to do with evil drugs or big pharma hating. Its about allowing people to make a choice for themselves.

Banned

WoolyM

Its nothing to do with evil drugs or big pharma hating. Its about … Its nothing to do with evil drugs or big pharma hating. Its about allowing people to make a choice for themselves.

You're the one who mentioned 'big pharma' in your OP, implying that the evil big corporations are trying to do something nefarious.

The thing about these companies is that they actually want to produce decent medications.

I do so hate people who talk about 'natural' or 'alternative' medicine. Medicine is medicine. The alternative to medicine is at best a placebo. If it actually worked we wouldn't call it 'alternative medicine'.

It would be called medicine.

aaah yes, the memory of the ingredient

lmao

Original Poster

FilthAndFurry

You're the one who mentioned 'big pharma' in your OP, implying that the … You're the one who mentioned 'big pharma' in your OP, implying that the evil big corporations are trying to do something nefarious. The thing about these companies is that they actually want to produce decent medications. I do so hate people who talk about 'natural' or 'alternative' medicine. Medicine is medicine. The alternative to medicine is at best a placebo. If it actually worked we wouldn't call it 'alternative medicine'.It would be called medicine.

Oh wise one!!
Why are certain foods advocated by the 'medical profession' and others discouraged.
We are all affected to some degree by what we put into our bodies.

Much as I agree with the basic tennant of your point that medicine is medicine, I dont agree that all alternatives are false remedies. That is precisely why 'big pharma' conducts testing on many natural products in search of the next wonder drug.
If an alternative has been used happily by many without problems I cant see a reason to make this an illegal product.

Banned

WoolyM

Oh wise one!! Why are certain foods advocated by the 'medical profession' … Oh wise one!! Why are certain foods advocated by the 'medical profession' and others discouraged.

You mean foods that have to go through similar testing that drugs do?

In fact in the states the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) handles both I believe.

Original Poster

I was actually suggesting studies pointing to the benefits of oily fish and garlic and suchlike

WoolyM

Oh wise one!! Why are certain foods advocated by the 'medical profession' … Oh wise one!! Why are certain foods advocated by the 'medical profession' and others discouraged. We are all affected to some degree by what we put into our bodies.Much as I agree with the basic tennant of your point that medicine is medicine, I dont agree that all alternatives are false remedies. That is precisely why 'big pharma' conducts testing on many natural products in search of the next wonder drug. If an alternative has been used happily by many without problems I cant see a reason to make this an illegal product.

I think you will find that it was because Boots had to concede to the Law Courts that alternative remedies/therapies have no scientific fact or merit attributed to them, and could be advertised as so, even though Boots defense was to offer consumer choice.

It was the dilution factor and the fantastic idea that the memory of the active ingredient that is now no longer there was still able to offer therapeutic aid, kinda like an air guitar.
Edited by: "Alfonse" 21st Apr 2011

Original Poster

Alfonse

I think you will find that its was because Boots had to concede to the … I think you will find that its was because Boots had to concede to the Law Courts that the alternative remedies/therapies have no sicentific fact or merit attributed to them, and could be advertised as so, even though Boots defense was to offer consumer choice.It was the dilution factor and the fantastic idea that the memory of the active ingredient that is now no longer there was still able to offer therapeutic aid, kinda like an air guitar.

You know I have never used homeopathic medicine but alternative medicine is very much more broadbased than just homeopathy.
I wonder though what will happen to the Royal London Hospital for Integrated medicine and others like it. At the moment you can be referred there as an NHS patient

uclh.nhs.uk/Our…spx

Banned

WoolyM

I was actually suggesting studies pointing to the benefits of oily fish … I was actually suggesting studies pointing to the benefits of oily fish and garlic and suchlike

So you're comparing the benefits of a good diet to 'alternative medicine'?

Original Poster

I have used certain alternative products in the past.
I also have a friend who uses homeopathic remedies after her condition deteriorating and being almost written off as a lost cause by the medical profession.

I have seen the effectiveness for myself of products such as tea tree oil and other oil based products.
In the past I have had a tooth abcess that took high doses of antibiotics to control. I then read about oregano oil.
The next time I had a problem I applied some oregano oil to the area and it seemed to remove any infection. Now the medical profession have suggested that root canal work on the tooth is the only way forward. But for the last 18 months I have found an alternative solution.

get a room you two

Original Poster

rehydrated

get a room you two

No that is most definitely NOT alternative medicine I would approve of due to the ingredients
Edited by: "WoolyM" 21st Apr 2011

wierdness

there is an answer to every ailment somewhere in nature. so the eu banning such things will be detramental to the development of so many medications, as often it is people using herbal or alternative therapies that can find modern medicine answers.

like the active ingredient in cough mix, being liquorice. I use herbal options as the chemical ones do me more harm in many cases.

WoolyM

I have used certain alternative products in the past. I also have a … I have used certain alternative products in the past. I also have a friend who uses homeopathic remedies after her condition deteriorating and being almost written off as a lost cause by the medical profession. I have seen the effectiveness for myself of products such as tea tree oil and other oil based products.In the past I have had a tooth abcess that took high doses of antibiotics to control. I then read about oregano oil.The next time I had a problem I applied some oregano oil to the area and it seemed to remove any infection. Now the medical profession have suggested that root canal work on the tooth is the only way forward. But for the last 18 months I have found an alternative solution.

I think you are confusing your products, Tea Tree oil for example is generally neat not diluted and does hold antiseptic qualities so would be classed as a natural remedy not a medicine per say.

The arguement and basis for this "ban" is down to the whole dilution ratios where there is only miniscule trace of an element in an item that is claiming to be a cure/medicine when infact it is nothing short of snakeoil
Edited by: "Celticsun" 21st Apr 2011

Celticsun

I think you are confusing your products, Tee Tree oil for example is … I think you are confusing your products, Tee Tree oil for example is generally neat not diluted and does hold antiseptic qualities so would be classed as a natural remedy not a medicine per say.The arguement and basis for this "ban" is down to the whole dilution ratios where there is only miniscule trace of an element in an item that is claiming to be a cure/medicine when infact it is nothing short of snakeoil

which is why i gave up

Original Poster

Celticsun

I think you are confusing your products, Tea Tree oil for example is … I think you are confusing your products, Tea Tree oil for example is generally neat not diluted and does hold antiseptic qualities so would be classed as a natural remedy not a medicine per say.The arguement and basis for this "ban" is down to the whole dilution ratios where there is only miniscule trace of an element in an item that is claiming to be a cure/medicine when infact it is nothing short of snakeoil

The ban may actually be much more wide ranging than just hitting homeopathic remedies, ie those with dilution ratios.
It could affect more regular items that people take daily if they have not gone through a lengthy and costly testing process.
So it could include natural or herbal supplements that do not meet this criteria as well.

Kitten13

there is an answer to every ailment somewhere in nature. so the eu … there is an answer to every ailment somewhere in nature. so the eu banning such things will be detramental to the development of so many medications, as often it is people using herbal or alternative therapies that can find modern medicine answers. like the active ingredient in cough mix, being liquorice. I use herbal options as the chemical ones do me more harm in many cases.

Cough Mixture where the active ingredients is liqourice is not a medicine is simply to stop you coughing because of a dry cough.

These are not items touting themselves as medicinal as with no basis hence they will not be affected by the ban. Its your .0000000001ml of tanglerootfunglefoot in 50ml of water that claims to make you see again that they are taking to task.

WoolyM

[quote=Celticsun] [quote=WoolyM] I have used certain alternative products … [quote=Celticsun] [quote=WoolyM] I have used certain alternative products in the past. I also have a friend who uses homeopathic remedies after her condition deteriorating and being almost written off as a lost cause by the medical profession. I have seen the effectiveness for myself of products such as tea tree oil and other oil based products.In the past I have had a tooth abcess that took high doses of antibiotics to control. I then read about oregano oil.The next time I had a problem I applied some oregano oil to the area and it seemed to remove any infection. Now the medical profession have suggested that root canal work on the tooth is the only way forward. But for the last 18 months I have found an alternative solution.

Again I think not, It will be a case that supplements are just that they need to be classed and labelled as supplements not a miracle cure or medicinal.

In regards to your tooth, you may find there is an underlying infection in the gum or root/nerve which only would be treated by the root canal procedure, sure your oil may stop or soothe the infection, but I bet you a pound to a penny it comes back.

Edited by: "Celticsun" 21st Apr 2011

Original Poster

Celticsun

I think you are confusing your products, Tea Tree oil for example is … I think you are confusing your products, Tea Tree oil for example is generally neat not diluted and does hold antiseptic qualities so would be classed as a natural remedy not a medicine per say.The arguement and basis for this "ban" is down to the whole dilution ratios where there is only miniscule trace of an element in an item that is claiming to be a cure/medicine when infact it is nothing short of snakeoil

What the legislation in its current form is suggesting is a ban on all products that have not gone through the lengthy test procedures. Many producers of alternative products will not be able to afford this so they will be at risk. Think echinacia or st Johns Wort etc.

Original Poster

Btw I have no doubt that there was an infection in the gum/tooth. And yes it may return at some point. But I was told the ONLY way forward was root canal work. I have found that it was not actually true.

Are you really suggesting that if you are prescribed a medicine for a condition via your doctor you will never again have the same ailment again. Now that would be wonder medicine.
Edited by: "WoolyM" 21st Apr 2011

WoolyM

Are you really suggesting that if you are prescribed a medicine for a … Are you really suggesting that if you are prescribed a medicine for a condition via your doctor you will never again have the same ailment again. Now that would be wonder medicine.

No I am saying if I had gangrene in my foot and it was amputated then I wouldn't get gangrene in that foot again

A treatment/procedure is not the same as a medicine/ointment

Banned

Kitten13

there is an answer to every ailment somewhere in nature. so the eu … there is an answer to every ailment somewhere in nature. so the eu banning such things will be detramental to the development of so many medications, as often it is people using herbal or alternative therapies that can find modern medicine answers. like the active ingredient in cough mix, being liquorice. I use herbal options as the chemical ones do me more harm in many cases.

I don't think I've seen so much rubbish contained in one post on here - and I've tried a few times myself. oO
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Dog advice please. Think my Labrador is dying after catching the cold1011
    2. Cineworld - possible to book film for future at counter to save booking fee…66
    3. disneyland paris tickets22
    4. Android pay set up56

See more discussions