If your buying some from the UK from France do you have to play any extra import taxes etc?

Found 2nd May
Community Updates
AskFrance
9 Comments
No, any shipments of goods between two EU member states do not attract customs duty. VAT is still liable & will typically be included in the consumer price you paid.
Not until we leave the single market.
No. Only if you buy from outside the EU.
You would think the answer is a simple No but this is Govt we are talking about.

It is YOUR responsibility to confirm that the goods you import from France have been correctly taxed in France if they originated outside France/EU. Otherwise you acquire the liability.

You must also ensure VAT at the relevant rate is charged on the invoice to you. Otherwise you are liable.

Excise Duty/Tax is payable on booze or fags for RESALE. As a person, you can import essentially what you can drink or smoke. So for a wedding, anniversary etc, you can fill up a van with booze. But take the van back and forth every week and they will get very interested in you (and can simply seize the booze and fags if they think you are taking the P).
ccnp6 h, 49 m ago

You would think the answer is a simple No but this is Govt we are talking …You would think the answer is a simple No but this is Govt we are talking about.It is YOUR responsibility to confirm that the goods you import from France have been correctly taxed in France if they originated outside France/EU. Otherwise you acquire the liability.You must also ensure VAT at the relevant rate is charged on the invoice to you. Otherwise you are liable.Excise Duty/Tax is payable on booze or fags for RESALE. As a person, you can import essentially what you can drink or smoke. So for a wedding, anniversary etc, you can fill up a van with booze. But take the van back and forth every week and they will get very interested in you (and can simply seize the booze and fags if they think you are taking the P).

Why are you making this so complicated without a reason? He is talking about a bog standard online purchase... Not buying booze or cigarettes and certainly not using a van to travel from France to the UK lol.
You think you're being helpful but your answer is just gonna confuse the OP unnecessarily and making him doubt our correct answers.

The answer is no. No need to go on about all that. No one pays import tax or VAT for goods coming from the EU. Don't make something more complicated than it needs to be.
Edited by: "hearts22" 3rd May
hearts2211 h, 6 m ago

Why are you making this so complicated without a reason? He is talking …Why are you making this so complicated without a reason? He is talking about a bog standard online purchase... Not buying booze or cigarettes and certainly not using a van to travel from France to the UK lol. You think you're being helpful but your answer is just gonna confuse the OP unnecessarily and making him doubt our correct answers. The answer is no. No need to go on about all that. No one pays import tax or VAT for goods coming from the EU. Don't make something more complicated than it needs to be.

Thanks for clearing that up hearts22; I did start to question the other answers lol
ccnp22 h, 10 m ago

You would think the answer is a simple No but this is Govt we are talking …You would think the answer is a simple No but this is Govt we are talking about.It is YOUR responsibility to confirm that the goods you import from France have been correctly taxed in France if they originated outside France/EU. Otherwise you acquire the liability.You must also ensure VAT at the relevant rate is charged on the invoice to you. Otherwise you are liable.Excise Duty/Tax is payable on booze or fags for RESALE. As a person, you can import essentially what you can drink or smoke. So for a wedding, anniversary etc, you can fill up a van with booze. But take the van back and forth every week and they will get very interested in you (and can simply seize the booze and fags if they think you are taking the P).

I like people like you. Sadly most people want to live blissfully ignorant.
Ah, the bliss of ignorance. In which case, WHY ASK?
When you ship something from an EU country to another country in the EU you don't have to include declarations and there are no questions about VAT either...

I often send stuff to my sister back in Italy and no courier wants to know the VAT status of my shipment.

They ask that instead when I send stuff the US... Which is not part of the EU.

I would like to know where ccnp has ever seen someone checking the VAT status of an EU shipment lol.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants