Expired

If your not using check and send on passport can you use any post office to pay for the application?

Found 5th Nov 2015
Hi,

Just want to check my understanding.

if you are applying for a first time adult passport and do not want to use check and send can you pay for the application fee and special delivery at any post office in cash?

The table here seems to imply you have to use check and send:for cash ?

gov.uk/pas…ees

Thanks
Community Updates
AskOffice
16 Comments
it's always best to use the check and send service to see if you done any mistakes nothing worst than it's been sent back because you feel something incorrectly
holmeview12345

it's always best to use the check and send service to see if you done any … it's always best to use the check and send service to see if you done any mistakes nothing worst than it's been sent back because you feel something incorrectly

if they send it back do you lose your fee?
When I did mine recently, I just paid online with my debit card, and then put the relevant printouts and paperwork into an envelope, and went to my local post office to pay the right postage. Job done.

Never ever felt the need to use check and send. If you can read, it's not difficult to fill in the forms, get your birth certificates if required, and get your pictures counter signed. Plenty of guidelines are provided. No need to waste money unless you want to.

Very straightforward.
Edited by: "Taliban_Army" 5th Nov 2015
Taliban_Army

When I did mine recently, I just paid online with my debit card, and then … When I did mine recently, I just paid online with my debit card, and then put the relevant printouts and paperwork into an envelope, and went to my local post office to pay the right postage. Job done.

You dont by any chance have a link please?

i can only find how to do the whole application online
you need a part office large enough to deal with passport applications even if you don't use check service
When we did the online application we still had to print out everything and post it off. If I remember rightly there were quite a few sheets that printed for each application that weren't required, a bit of a waste of paper and ink, but that may have changed.
mutley1

you need a part office large enough to deal with passport applications … you need a part office large enough to deal with passport applications even if you don't use check service

​That's not true my local post office is tiny just one person and if you're sending through normal post not check and send then you can do it from any post office. I've always used signed for that way I know it's got there.

I wouldn't use check and send because to be honest even if they check it sometimes it still comes back. although I don't think you'd lose your fee otherwise what would be the purpose of check and send. saying that I don't know if you would or not because I used the service years ago and I can't remember if I had to pay for the postage again. Besides the person on the checkout is just a normal person they make mistakes too.

You fill in the form online and then print off all the pages and get it counter signed put your documents in the envelope write a check or pay
online (not sure if you can do that) then go to the post office and post it. job done.
liamf12

When we did the online application we still had to print out everything … When we did the online application we still had to print out everything and post it off. If I remember rightly there were quite a few sheets that printed for each application that weren't required, a bit of a waste of paper and ink, but that may have changed.

​I preferred it when you filled it online and then they sent the form out to you for you to sign was less waste. now they've passed the printing cost on to us and they no longer lose out on postage either. As if the passport isn't expensive enough as it is.
I used the check and send on my first passport and they messed it up and I ending up having to re do the application. Got a refund. Next time did it myself and had no issues so I wouldn't bother.
adamwilko007

if they send it back do you lose your fee?

​i did one a few months back and they sent it back saying pictures were no good but all you do is send them the info/pictures they need and they carry on the application it just delays it a few days.
stefromuk

​i did one a few months back and they sent it back saying pictures were n … ​i did one a few months back and they sent it back saying pictures were no good but all you do is send them the info/pictures they need and they carry on the application it just delays it a few days.

​how did you pay for it yourself please? Cash at post office
adamwilko007

​how did you pay for it yourself please? Cash at post office

I actually did it check and send at the post office and paid there as I thought I'd mess it up somewhere.
But they still contact you the same either way.
You can just send a cheque or put your card details on the form can't you then just pop it in the post box.
Check and send is a waste of money.
The post office staff aren't trained and don't know what they're doing.
Partner works for the passport office and they're always getting applications through that have been checked by the post office and are missing information or not done correctly.
Then they have to contact the applicant and tell them that there is a problem with their application and to get a refund from PO.

It's just a money making exercise by the PO, you might as well get a friend to check your application.
holmeview12345

it's always best to use the check and send service to see if you done any … it's always best to use the check and send service to see if you done any mistakes nothing worst than it's been sent back because you feel something incorrectly

Rubbish. It's not difficult to read the form and fill it in correctly.
Is your passport back yet? ..
I checked my neighbours for them and notice two mistakes (much better to ask someone else to check for free as sometimes when you've been starting at something for so long it all tends to blend it and errors go unnoticed..) anyway, their passports came back within the week. I was so shocked as the last time o sent mine off (may) it didn't come back for about 8weeks or sommat silly..
Mine took around 3 weeks including going for a interview as it was a first time passport

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants