If you're returning items to Amazon, make sure you're checking refunded amounts

Just a heads up, just in case people aren't aware of what Amazon are doing with refunds.

I bought 3 items from Amazon in December in 2 separate orders.

All were Xmas presents, but were not needed, so I contacted Amazon to return and a Hermes collection was arranged. Was told that there would be a £3 charge for arranging the collection for both orders, which sounded good to me.

Just checked the refund amounts and they deducted £6 on the refund amount for each item (£18 in total), so a flat £6 for each item returned.

I've just got this sorted via Amazon chat and the £18 has been refunded, but just a heads up for people to keep an eye on what they are refunding as it's outrageous.

Don't know if this is a recent thing as I don't usually return items that aren't faulty to Amazon.

23 Comments

Are you sure it wasn't an error?

Original Poster

misterleoni

Are you sure it wasn't an error?

Yes.

Just did a quick Google on Amazon refunds and it looks like this happens when you choose 'item no longer required' as the return reason.

But to deduct £6 off each item is a joke, especially when I arranged a collection via Hermes.

You're better off selecting item faulty as the reason even if the item hasn't been opened.

Edited by: "IWannaBeAdored" 5th Jan

I've never been charged for a return. I normally do collect plus or royal mail. Are you a prime customer?

I think this is Amazon trying to stop folks from ordering loads of stuff "to try" and then returning most of them . Seems more and more folks are having their accounts barred for returning too much stuff . To me many customers take the mick out of Amazon and view them as a " wear it ,try it ,use it then return it " free facility and then moan when their account is closed . I have no great love for the profiteering Amazon ,but even they have to draw the line somewhere -Surely ?

Original Poster

sparx1981

I've never been charged for a return. I normally do collect plus or royal … I've never been charged for a return. I normally do collect plus or royal mail. Are you a prime customer?

Yep, a Prime customer.

rogparki

I think this is Amazon trying to stop folks from ordering loads of stuff … I think this is Amazon trying to stop folks from ordering loads of stuff "to try" and then returning most of them . Seems more and more folks are having their accounts barred for returning too much stuff . To me many customers take the mick out of Amazon and view them as a " wear it ,try it ,use it then return it " free facility and then moan when their account is closed . I have no great love for the profiteering Amazon ,but even they have to draw the line somewhere -Surely ?

I don't usually return items though. Why should I be penalised for others that are taking advantage?

For the first time in years Amazon are really cheesing me off. So far I am waiting 2 weeks for a refund and being told to wait further. I have asked them 4 times now to tell me if they have my item or not so I can proceed with an investigation if they havent as I sent it tracked which states it was delivered. All they keep saying is that the returns department havent updated the status ,Why cant they just tell me whats going on instead of stalling.
I thought I was lucky after the 5th email that they said they requested a refund but still nothing.
The returns policy is now 2-3 weeks for a refund.

Count yourself lucky, it took me the best part of three months to receive a refund on a faulty Rug from Argos, six phone calls, three promises and eventually involving head office. When they did refund (this was only a few days ago) I was stung for £3.76.

Strangely I bought a phone battery for 6 quid which was sold by Amazon and was delivered opened with the seals broken. I already had a tablet I bought 2 weeks prior in the same situation - sold as new, seals broken and fingerprints on the screen. They wanted me to go to a Collect point over 4 miles away. I refused and advised them if they want it back, it'll be on my door step. They then sent DPS disguised as 'Amazon Logistics' to collect from my house and eventually they were both delivered back to Amazon after over a week - got the full refund amount plus £3 per item. So I'm £6 up. Guess someone made a boo boo

You see plenty of advice on HUKD... order multiple items to get free delivery then return them all except the one you need.

There are 2 reasons why some people swear by Amazon "Prime " "Helpfully " oO provided by the God that is Amazon .

1 Next day delivery (or even quicker if you live in the right area) .
2 Unrivalled customer service

It certainly can't be on price - the genuine bargains are very few and far between these days , and "Prime " prices are easily beaten elsewhere without fail . Amazon has "roped their dopes" ie Prime customers (me included) , and it appears (from reading several posts on here and other forums) the customer service isn't so hot these days . So for your Prime subscription you get next day delivery and Jeremy Clarkson oO . You pay your money and make your choice .

Edited by: "rogparki" 5th Jan

Gollywood

You see plenty of advice on HUKD... order multiple items to get free … You see plenty of advice on HUKD... order multiple items to get free delivery then return them all except the one you need.

And get your account barred , as many have . I've read all those posts .

At the no, free returns are on clothing and shoes, and maybe on items where it's stated on the listing, otherwise they charge, and not always at the same rate, even if sent back the same way (in my case RM) and am also a prime member £6 per item is very steep though!

They do charge for returns if there is nothing wrong with it, only clothing and shoes are free returns but only from amazon. It has always been expensive to return items and can be massive difference between each of the return methods they offer.

Gollywood

You see plenty of advice on HUKD... order multiple items to get free … You see plenty of advice on HUKD... order multiple items to get free delivery then return them all except the one you need.

Think that's the order a pre order item and then cancel it once your cheaper item is dispatched process, don't actually return anything unless it's really faulty.
Edited by: "eslick" 5th Jan

rogparki

There are 2 reasons why some people swear by Amazon "Prime " "Helpfully " … There are 2 reasons why some people swear by Amazon "Prime " "Helpfully " oO provided by the God that is Amazon . 1 Next day delivery (or even quicker if you live in the right area) . 2 Unrivalled customer service It certainly can't be on price - the genuine bargains are very few and far between these days , and "Prime " prices are easily beaten elsewhere without fail . Amazon has "roped their dopes" ie Prime customers (me included) , and it appears (from reading several posts on here and other forums) the customer service isn't so hot these days . So for your Prime subscription you get next day delivery and Jeremy Clarkson oO . You pay your money and make your choice .

Customer service i have to agree has gone right downhill very recently..

haritori

Customer service i have to agree has gone right downhill very recently..

Likewise

always return through love chat. they make you a free label.

live chat

I would watch out returning so many items with amazon. Don't want to get your account blocked.

I have recently returned an Xbox one S.
Went into the chat and explained the problem.
Sent me a label to print and send back.
No problems at all. Customer service was great. (first return ever to Amazon)

Customer service on Amazon is terrible now in my opinion, as is Tesco Direct - both use to be great.

Personally Iv never thought the customer service was great in the first place.

dont distance selling rules apply ? how can they charge for returns beyond postage costs ?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread414314050
    2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523382
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763819
    4. (heads up) Mini SNES price finally dropped on Amazon pre orders22

See more discussions