Expired

Ikea Bed Problems - too hot - help!

Found 13th Jan 2014
Hi All,

We bought a new bed last month and are currently trying to get a good nights sleep - we always wake up too hot!

The mattress in a sprung type (Hovag) and this sits on wooden slats in a frame (Brimnes with storage).

Has anyone else got this or a similar set up.

We have tried a coolmax topper, an Ikea protector that is designed to regulate temperature. We have also tried removing the storage drawers to increase air flow under the mattress. Sadly nothing works!

Our room is cold - no central heating and we only have a 3 tog duvet.

We are larger than average in size and I have great circulation (generally get warm easily) but my partner has poor circulation (always cold!). So why are we both too hot in the new bed!!

New things we might try next are -

Raising the mattress up - there are two height settings on the bed frame, this will exposure the sides more - help air flow from the mattress?

Wearing pajamas to bed - apparently thats cooler than nothing!

Any help would be appreciated - we need a good nights sleep!
Community Updates
AskBedMattressMovie
29 Comments
good thread, sure many would love a warm bed in the winter months.
Hot water bottle filled with ice cubes ?
Ikea offer a guarantee on their mattresses although I'm not sure if it applies when ur not generally happy with the mattress. It may be worth finding out then you could posdible swap it for another one??
Buy/use a summer quilt?
Does the mattress have a memory foam top layer? These are terrible for making me over hot, we had a memory foam topper but it caused me serious sweats, took it off the bed when we got a new mattress and its now a comfy dog bed for the bigger dog (folded into four) and I no longer have the sweats.

Apparently memory foam does not "breathe" and as its designed to mold to your shape it makes it even worse than as it covers more of your body.
fan
I think ikea have a 90 day exchange policy on mattresses-change it now while you can. I had terrible problems trying to return an ikea mattress after the 90 days that had sagged badly-they send 'engineers' out to inspect the bed and make a report, etc. I had the full latex mattress that I also found incredibly hot to sleep on.
Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback -

We can exchange still - we went to store on Saturday and spoke to them - sadly they didn't have an answer to our problem and the only obvious change was to a cheaper one with worse springs. We came away with advise on removing the drawers for air flow or turning the mattress as there is less foam on the bottom.

The mattress doesn't have memory foam on the top just a layer of foam for comfort.

In regard tom pocket springs and Bonnell springs (joined up ones I think), are pocket warmer then?

We have a 3 tog duvet on so the suggestion of a summer duvet has been sorted.
Hot - Take the quilt off

Cold - Put the quilt over you

All sorted.
Banned
Cold water bottle
Have you tried making your wife sleep on the sofa? That may help with heat reduction and less chance of her waking you up in the morning when she puts the kettle on.
Edited by: "Mark2111" 13th Jan 2014
Put the bed in the garden
Original Poster
Lots of useful comments!!!!

Really hoped for someone else with an Ikea bed to post with feedback
Foam at the top is still artificial fiber which doesn't regulate temperature-I'd exchange for the cheapest bed they do-get money back for the difference and get a bed made with natural fibers only, i.e. cotton, wool, etc. It made a huge difference for me. RE pocket sprung-they do cushion better and don't allow 'roll together' like the other type of springs. However, I believe that the pocket springs in ikea beds are enclosed in polyester (again making things hotter and less breathable). Maybe if you compare the new mattress to the old one, you will see where the problem stems from...
Banned
i want your problems
He doesn't have a wife, just me. When he does, he can get her to make the tea :-)

Thanks Mermoo. We spoke to a helpful chap in Ikea on Saturday and he said the next mattress down had the different springs (don't know whether both spring types are polyester-wrapped at Ikea...?) so might get roll together but it also had a layer of foam albeit a thinner one. Hence our next step tonight is to try the mattress turned over to the non-foam side.

Shame really, I can't fault the one we have for comfort.

Thanks for the help everyone. Now, who knows a non-Ikea mattress that will fit

This is the best thread ever.
markluk

Lots of useful comments!!!!Really hoped for someone else with an Ikea bed … Lots of useful comments!!!!Really hoped for someone else with an Ikea bed to post with feedback

I don't think this is one of these 'you have to have walked a mile in my shoes' scenarios.

Try shoving on the carpet instead.
Lasted longer than I thought.
Original Poster
daturastorm

I don't think this is one of these 'you have to have walked a mile in my … I don't think this is one of these 'you have to have walked a mile in my shoes' scenarios.

I was just wondering if there were any 'tricks' on how to setup the Brimnes / Hovag bed and whether anyone else had experience of such problems.

I am getting the impression that modern day, good quality mattresses are better made and have more insulation. I think it may be back to a cheaper uncomfortable mattress just to catch up on sleep!
daturastorm

This is the best thread ever.

It's not, it's daft X)
Edited by: "OldEnglish" 13th Jan 2014
Product description for HOVAG:

Ticking/ Ticking, side/ Ticking: 100% polyester
Ticking, underside/ Ticking: 73% cotton, 27% polyester
Pocket spring units: Steel
Comfort material: Polyurethane foam 33 kg/cu.m.
Comfort material: Polyester wadding
Lining: Non-woven polypropylene

It seems that the underside is cotton based, so turning it over might help solve your problem. However, I'd say the problem lies in the polyurethane foam (basically plastic) - sleeping on plastic would certainly make most people sweat. So I'd switch to the HAFSLO - get some credit back and go to a local independent bed maufacturer who will be able to make your bed to the right size for the frame (if you've got yourself a silly Ikea sized frame) and only include natural fibres. It might cost slightly more (I got a pocket sprung kingsize for £306 with only natural fibres, but I'm in Yorkshire where people are known to be tight), but in the long term you'll be happy you did.

If your old bed was an open coil, I think this will explain the huge difference - the airflow decrease is significant in a pocket spring. If you want an open coil, it will cost you less too.
Original Poster
Mermoo

Product description for HOVAG:Ticking/ Ticking, side/ Ticking: 100% … Product description for HOVAG:Ticking/ Ticking, side/ Ticking: 100% polyesterTicking, underside/ Ticking: 73% cotton, 27% polyesterPocket spring units: SteelComfort material: Polyurethane foam 33 kg/cu.m.Comfort material: Polyester waddingLining: Non-woven polypropyleneIt seems that the underside is cotton based, so turning it over might help solve your problem. However, I'd say the problem lies in the polyurethane foam (basically plastic) - sleeping on plastic would certainly make most people sweat. So I'd switch to the HAFSLO - get some credit back and go to a local independent bed maufacturer who will be able to make your bed to the right size for the frame (if you've got yourself a silly Ikea sized frame) and only include natural fibres. It might cost slightly more (I got a pocket sprung kingsize for £306 with only natural fibres, but I'm in Yorkshire where people are known to be tight), but in the long term you'll be happy you did.If your old bed was an open coil, I think this will explain the huge difference - the airflow decrease is significant in a pocket spring. If you want an open coil, it will cost you less too.

Thanks a lot for a wonderful answer.

I think we are going to try a few more things but I think we will be downgrading to a cheaper ikea mattress option via the 90 day exchange program (getting some credit back for other items we need) and then look into other non-ikea options for a better cooler mattress like you describe if we dont get on with the cheaper mattress. I think at the moment a less comfy mattress will be a small price to pay just to be cool enough to sleep!
markluk

Thanks a lot for a wonderful answer.I think we are going to try a few … Thanks a lot for a wonderful answer.I think we are going to try a few more things but I think we will be downgrading to a cheaper ikea mattress option via the 90 day exchange program (getting some credit back for other items we need) and then look into other non-ikea options for a better cooler mattress like you describe if we dont get on with the cheaper mattress. I think at the moment a less comfy mattress will be a small price to pay just to be cool enough to sleep!

Glad to help - hope you have success - lack of sleep is a killer
Original Poster
Morning All,

OK, some sleep has been had I think mainly due to the colder nights!

Mattress exchange time - just wondered if anyone had done an Ikea mattress exchange and if you have to go to store to arrange it or if you can do it over the phone. We had delivery so I understand we will get a free collection / delivery so ideally we don't want to visit the store (again!).
Original Poster
Just a quick update.

Mattress changed on Saturday and we are now all ok!

We have change to the basic sprung mattress Hasflo as recommended by Mermoo

As proof it must have been the mattress we have needed a duvet and blanket over us for the last two night so we are warm enough!

The only bad thing now is that I didn't want to get up at 5-30am this morning for work!!
why would sleeping in pyjamas be cooler than wearing nothing ??

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants