Expired

Ikea DIY Furniture - Help with dowels please

Found 19th Jan 2013
I'm moving in just over a weeks time from Wales to Scotland and yes....I am happy about it as it is through choice. No DLM. no needed

I'm am taking apart the units in post 1 and pulling them apart, I have broken some dowels and others are stuck in the holes!! What can I do to get the broken ones out and how do I remove the ones that are stuck as I fear they will break if I leave them in and the piece of wood gets knocked.

Thank you
Community Updates
MiscDIYFurniture
7 Comments
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/images/products/expedit-shelving-unit__0092723_PE229445_S4.JPG

[img]http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90116275/#/20116274[/img]

Edited by: "fern37" 19th Jan 2013
:):)
Corkscrew into the broken ones that are stuck
Well try pliers if they are sticking out and you can get a grip on them, otherwise you could use a drill and hollow it out...Or use a small screw and screw it into top of dowel then use pliers to pull it out...

Then buy new ones..

There done my helping for the day, im off to annoy people again...

Edited by: "simplex" 19th Jan 2013
simplex

Well try pliers if they are sticking out and you can get a grip on them, … Well try pliers if they are sticking out and you can get a grip on them, otherwise you could use a drill and hollow it out...Or use a small screw and screw it into top of dowel then use pliers to pull it out...Then buy new ones..There done my helping for the day, im off to annoy people again...

Tried using pliers to grip them to pull them out but the dowel splintered and half is still stuck
fern37

Tried using pliers to grip them to pull them out but the dowel splintered … Tried using pliers to grip them to pull them out but the dowel splintered and half is still stuck

Try a small screw in the top of it...or use a small drill to create a hollow cavity then once in hole use bigger drill same diameter to hollow rest out, be careful though
Make a smaller hole with a nail, so the drill that you put in does not slip...
Edited by: "simplex" 19th Jan 2013
Drill out the old dowels and replace

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants