Ikea Kitchens

Found 4th Apr
Anyone had one fitted recently?
I'm planning on paying the £40 to have someone out to measure up and look at what we can do. Never done this before so I'm a bit clueless!
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
Wren came and measured my kitchen for free...take the dimensions to IKEA
Having our wren kitchen fitted at the moment, by an independent joiner and have to say, i am mightily impressed.

Great products - they really have thought of everything.

Top quality at a great price!

Howdens couldnt get near in price or quality!

Any reason why you are going to Ikea. Apparently their kitchens are a bit of a nightmare!
Edited by: "BMOLE" 5th Apr
Once you have a design try going to DIY Kitchens and see how they compare.
Get them to measure it..i did my own and had wonky walls so was a bit of a mess. Do you get the money off when you buy the kitchen?had a few hiccups with ikea but compensated around 600 quid .enjoy xx
BMOLE17 m ago

Having our wren kitchen fitted at the moment, by an independent joiner and …Having our wren kitchen fitted at the moment, by an independent joiner and have to say, i am mightily impressed.Great products - they really have thought of everything. Top quality at a great price!Howdens couldnt get near in price or quality!Any reason why you are going to Ikea. Apparently there kitchens are a bit of a nightmare!

Just had same done used Rated People to find a joiner. I personally would avoid Ikea.
Reasons because in Sweden pipes aren’t behind cupboards like here in uk there’s no space behind units for any pipe work. Also there’s like 3/4 sizes of units and in the design they just end up filling with spacers where as Wren and other kitchen company’s have various sizes thus increase your unit spaces. Cost of the Ikea kitchen we had Planed was nearly half what we paid Wren it just wasn’t worth it we’d of had no storage nor space for pipe work!
Edited by: "ASongOfFireAndIce" 4th Apr
BMOLE20 m ago

Apparently there kitchens are a bit of a nightmare!

Says every dispreputable kitchen fitter/joiner. Why? Because they don't get a kickback from Ikea like they do from most other places. Hence you get the line "they're difficult to install", "I don't do them, poor quality".
Edited by: "cossy3" 4th Apr
cossy37 h, 15 m ago

Says every dispreputable kitchen fitter/joiner. Why? Because they don't …Says every dispreputable kitchen fitter/joiner. Why? Because they don't get a kickback from Ikea like they do from most other places. Hence you get the line "they're difficult to install", "I don't do them, poor quality".

They’re difficult because most standard unit have 2-4 inches of clearance at the rear of units- Ikea don’t. And there minimal selection of sizes means your adding spacers and wasting valuable space. We had quotes off pretty much all company’s and Ikea all though they were far the cheapest we’d of had nowhere near the storage we have now. If you get a carpenter to fit independently they’ll tell you how bad they are. We chose Wren self assembled units and our carpenter said that fitting that style is a joy he ain’t getting no kickback he is an independent tradesman.
IF you have a kitchen where you have no pipework (waste or water or gas) at the rear of your current units and you have the space to occupy there limited unit sizes then your lucky an FairPlay because they’re not too bad in quality and the finish is up there! For us was pure storage issue.
Edited by: "ASongOfFireAndIce" 5th Apr
cossy310 h, 42 m ago

Says every dispreputable kitchen fitter/joiner. Why? Because they don't …Says every dispreputable kitchen fitter/joiner. Why? Because they don't get a kickback from Ikea like they do from most other places. Hence you get the line "they're difficult to install", "I don't do them, poor quality".

Exactly as pointed out below.

Our joiner is completely independent guy from our village.

This is the first Wren kitchen he has installed and I dealt with Wren.

First question he asked when I said we want to kitchen doing was, its not an IKEA kitchen is it?

He also pointed out the lack of clearance on the units, which in a house thats as wonky as ours would have been a nightmare as there is loads of pipework to be run through the rear of the cabinets.

After fearing the worst with Wren, have to say I am pleasantly surprised!
Just make sure you use an independent fitter as thats where the horror stories come in.
Edited by: "BMOLE" 5th Apr
cossy310 h, 45 m ago

DO you have an IKEA kitchen by any chance?
It's not necessary to pay for kitchen designers.

Just measure your kitchen walls, mark the windows and doors, stopcock and gas entry point and go to Wickes, B&Q etc and also some local independant kitchen shops. All kitchen designers are not the same and by going to several, you will get different ideas. Once you have a design you like get all the designers to tweak their design to that one and compare the quotes. At this point your chosen company will come around and check your measurements and off you go.

I've had 2 kitchens replaced in 2 different properties, and both times, a local independant was cheaper than Wickes etc.
I bought ours from wickes as the units have a good reputation. Cost about £1700 all in for everything bar the plumber, tiler and carpenter to cut the worktop.

Probably £2300 in all so not a bad price. Paint is steep though.
We have a home visit from Wickes in a few weeks... Anyone had any experience with them?
Ours is from Ikea, fitted 18 months ago by my husband and a local joiner. Clearance at the back of a couple of the the cupboards for the pipes was an issue, but the joiner just altered the cupboards manually (not sure what he did but I knew he had to do some alterations/botching!) not that you’d know.
The worktop is good quality too, thing with Ikea is you have to use all Ikea products as b&q/wickes etc won’t fit. We have their sink and tap because I think they’re a slightly different size to others and fit their worktops perfectly.
We had our kitchen measured and then took the measurements to Ikea and ordered it all in store, no issues with sizes etc and no need to return.
We also found thatIkea accessories (tap, sink, handles) were cheaper and better quality/design than others.
BMOLE13 h, 26 m ago

DO you have an IKEA kitchen by any chance?

No. B&Q. Are you trying to say that I am wrong?
ASongOfFireAndIce17 h, 0 m ago

They’re difficult because most standard unit have 2-4 inches of clearance a …They’re difficult because most standard unit have 2-4 inches of clearance at the rear of units- Ikea don’t. And there minimal selection of sizes means your adding spacers and wasting valuable space. We had quotes off pretty much all company’s and Ikea all though they were far the cheapest we’d of had nowhere near the storage we have now. If you get a carpenter to fit independently they’ll tell you how bad they are. We chose Wren self assembled units and our carpenter said that fitting that style is a joy he ain’t getting no kickback he is an independent tradesman.IF you have a kitchen where you have no pipework (waste or water or gas) at the rear of your current units and you have the space to occupy there limited unit sizes then your lucky an FairPlay because they’re not too bad in quality and the finish is up there! For us was pure storage issue.

If a kitchen fitter can't solve the pipe issue they're not worth employing. That's just basic joinery to get around that. Stop believing the tripe coming out their mouths.
cossy36 h, 32 m ago

If a kitchen fitter can't solve the pipe issue they're not worth …If a kitchen fitter can't solve the pipe issue they're not worth employing. That's just basic joinery to get around that. Stop believing the tripe coming out their mouths.

Who’s mouth? My own experience? Observations my farther in law is Gas and Plumber so that “tripe” is from our own experiences nobody else’s. If anyone wants to hack up there brand new units go ahead. Or if you want everything hidden and neat and tidy - and actual units rather than a kitchen full of spacers only then avoid Ikea. This isn’t my opinion this is Fact! 5 kitchen designs in the past couple of months with different company’s. I’m not doubting Ikea quality Nor image in fact the one they had we really wanted. But came down to i wanted somewhere to put my stuff in the kitchen!(nerd)
Edited by: "ASongOfFireAndIce" 6th Apr
superfreddy18 h, 9 m ago

We have a home visit from Wickes in a few weeks... Anyone had any …We have a home visit from Wickes in a few weeks... Anyone had any experience with them?

They were also good , there good quality. There all good they want your money
cossy310 h, 37 m ago

No. B&Q. Are you trying to say that I am wrong?

You are wrong. My joiner doesnt care. He doesnt get a kick back from ANYBODY. He's just giving his advise based on years of experience.

As pointed out above, you shouldnt have to butcher your units to get the pipes to fit through. Nor should you have to see them every time you open the cupboard.

Its bad design that ends up costing more as the joiner has to take time to fit the pipework through!

Even worse, if the walls arent plumb (ours were 30mm out over floor to ceiling) then you are really screwed as there is no way of scribing the unit to the wall and getting everything level without a hell of a lot of hassle.
Edited by: "BMOLE" 6th Apr
BMOLE10 h, 24 m ago

You are wrong. My joiner doesnt care. He doesnt get a kick back from …You are wrong. My joiner doesnt care. He doesnt get a kick back from ANYBODY. He's just giving his advise based on years of experience. As pointed out above, you shouldnt have to butcher your units to get the pipes to fit through. Nor should you have to see them every time you open the cupboard.Its bad design that ends up costing more as the joiner has to take time to fit the pipework through!Even worse, if the walls arent plumb (ours were 30mm out over floor to ceiling) then you are really screwed as there is no way of scribing the unit to the wall and getting everything level without a hell of a lot of hassle.

I am wrong because of your experience?? Don't think so pal. I am older and wiser than you.
cossy33 h, 9 m ago

I am wrong because of your experience?? Don't think so pal. I am older and …I am wrong because of your experience?? Don't think so pal. I am older and wiser than you.

Im wise enough to know that you cant guarantee that last statement. Its pure speculation!

You're wrong because of FACT. You implied my joiner was biased as he was getting kickbacks which isnt true.
BMOLE18 h, 32 m ago

Im wise enough to know that you cant guarantee that last statement. Its …Im wise enough to know that you cant guarantee that last statement. Its pure speculation! You're wrong because of FACT. You implied my joiner was biased as he was getting kickbacks which isnt true.

Once again, your personal experience cannot be extrapolated to the wider population. You are one person. Most kitchen fitters get a kickback, now that really is a FACT.
I had evidence to back up my fact. You are confusing FACT with OPINION.

I wouldnt expect someone with your IQ to understand that though.

Im not extrapolating or generalising in the slightest. You implied MY joiner was biased against IKEA as he wasnt getting a kickback. I merely stated that wasnt true in this instance.

Ive not implied kitchen fitters wouldnt ever get a kickback or extrapolated my experience to the wider population.

I wouldnt expect a MAGNET kitchen fitter to be singing the praises of a homebase kitchen or vice versa. They would clearly badmouth the competitors to boost their own workload.

To say most kitchen fitters get a kickback is your opinion. It just isnt true when you buy a kitchen yourself and get someone completely independent to fit it, which is what a lot of people do.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions