Ikea kitchens vs the rest

Found 11th Sep 2017
hello.
we are looking to get a new kitchen in our reasonably small flat (kitchen is 2.5 x 3m)

we have looked into Ikea and have pretty good idea what we want and we already have most appliances.

Now the issue is some say the quality isn't the best, some don't agree.

my question is are there other companies that can get even close to Ikea's prices and cupboard choice?

ive heard good things about wickes but I'm not sure about the prices and if they can offer such space utilising cupboard choices as Ikea can.

our budget is very limited which may end up being the most important decisive factor.

thank you for any advice.
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
I went through a few of the main kitchen suppliers recently (we ended up going with a smaller, local company in the end). Lots of scare stories out there etc. etc. - Out of all of them (Homebase, B&Q, Wren, etc) B&Q impressed me by saying you do not pay the final balance until you are happy with EVERYTHING.

Not quite sure how that works out in practice but at least it gives you some leverage if at the end things are not done properly.
ikea was fine but didnt have any space behind for pipes or cables their cupboards go right back, others leave a gap, have you tried howdens it supplies to the trade and public
Howdens do not sell to the public, they will show you their ranges etc etc, but they will not sell to you unless you have a trade account with them or you can move you're a tradesperson
Cakeboy792 m ago

Howdens do not sell to the public, they will show you their ranges etc …Howdens do not sell to the public, they will show you their ranges etc etc, but they will not sell to you unless you have a trade account with them or you can move you're a tradesperson

Thanks, I've just checked them as well and it does say you need a trades person to install it. I also can't find any prices in terms of basic cabinets etc to compare.
Cakeboy7910 m ago

Howdens do not sell to the public, they will show you their ranges etc …Howdens do not sell to the public, they will show you their ranges etc etc, but they will not sell to you unless you have a trade account with them or you can move you're a tradesperson

Alllfff7 m ago

Thanks, I've just checked them as well and it does say you need a trades …Thanks, I've just checked them as well and it does say you need a trades person to install it. I also can't find any prices in terms of basic cabinets etc to compare.

oh sorry my mistake
I've heard Wickes make good kitchens.
I think Wickes is on a price par with B&Q but wickes kitchen carcasses are a few mm thicker which could make them stronger.
personally I always use b&q as they have the cheaper kitchens in stock on the shelves in store and if you need a replacement part they're readily available. Try to spend a larger chunk on an upgraded worktop and door handles (get them off eBay). In my view a better quality worktop can transform even the cheapest cabinets and door fronts.
Alllfff1 h, 15 m ago

Thanks, I've just checked them as well and it does say you need a trades …Thanks, I've just checked them as well and it does say you need a trades person to install it. I also can't find any prices in terms of basic cabinets etc to compare.

I used to work for Howdens and they have a price list for the public and then a price list for the tradespeople with a discount off the public price. For the kitchen ranges, it's anything from 35% for the lower end stuff to 65% for the higher ranges. That said, they can adjust the percentage discount in store as well at their discretion. It's no use asking for a price list as the prices they quote are ridiculous and won't allow you any comparison.

Admittedly, it's been a while since I worked there, but I guess it's not changed too much. The cabinets come already built so your fitter saves time not having to build them, and also if there's any damaged bits when it's delivered they usually have it in stock for collection that day. It also makes life easier if you suddenly need an extra cupboard.

If you know anyone who is in the trade then you ask them to go in and get you a trades price list and that'll help you for comparison.
go to kitchen compare.com via google search.
Howdens is trade only but anyone can sign up with a bit of decent computer and printing work for business cards and letterheaded paper. but upto 85% off as ive seen on one slip then they are in fairyland with their prices.
Wickes always have 50% of + 15% off so I wouldn't trust their prices at all. Homebase play the same game but I think they've changed. Don't know if the tradesmen get the other % off for having the secret trade card.
B&Q don't do the offers, don't do rigid either but as someone said most stores got the basics on the shelf. Watch out for the designs adding on useless items like plinth seals at £6 a time. Remove these and itll be cheaper. Know a tradesman and they can get another 10% off on top
Ikea units are pretty basic, but that goes with the price (id avoid melamine laid on doors as they do wear bad on the edges)
All this said it doesn't matter how good the alleged quality is, but if its installed properly and looked after and not misused then you can have a kitchen for years to come from a little spend.
Ive used the software that B&Q let you log onto to create your own designs and the price updates everytime you change something so this may be worth doing if you want to try a few things in your kitchen
I had a quote from Wickes and a local kitchen shop easily beat it with better a better spec too. I found Wickes incredibly hard to deal with as they wouldn't give a final fitting price until you have paid a deposit.
Thank you very much for all your advice.

I've been to kitchen compare and surprisingly b and q is one of the best? Wickes Also makes some very good and some very bad kitchens according to the websites scoring. Ikea isn't even on it.

I'm planning to build and fit it all myself so I'm going to get a quote from Ikea on Saturday and wickes on sunday and will see what they come up with.
Have you looked at online retailers such as diy-kitchens?
If you are planning on fitting this yourself it might work out as you'll know which components you need. Looks like a great site, we are planning on getting our kitchen from them. Great review and there is even a sale on right now!
On the website you can compare kitchen companies.
Good luck!
What you've got to remember is that kitchen units are generally all made from chipboard - it's the density and thickness of this and the lamination process that makes it good or otherwise. What's also important to note is that there are only so many laminated chipboard manufacturers around, so the units are pretty similar in essence, providing you look for a minimum of 18mm thick units.

Door finishes will have a similar story.

I liked the IKEA kitchen I had installed - there are limited sizes of the cabinets available however - something to bear in mind. Also, as someone else mentioned, there is no room for any concealed pipework behind them, but any decent joiner can overcome this - but because of this, they are also deeper than other units, giving more space.
My Howdens kitchen is just fantastic.

If I ever needed a new kitchen they'd be my first port of call.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants