Can an Ikea side panel be used as a door?

Posted 23rd Jan
I have set my heart on a particular Ikea kitchen range that seems to be end of line. I need to have a door somehow attached to the wall to hide my boiler behind. Ideally 2.4m tall and .6m wide. The problem is that the tallest door available is only 1.2m, on the other hand there is a side panel that is ideal size. Does anyone have any experience of using a side panel as a door? I was thinking that if it’s glued onto plywood of the same size it might become way too heavy, if so would just a strip of plywood where the hinges are be sufficient? Or are there any other problems I’ve not considered at all? Any thoughts from the all knowing and all powerful hukdealers would be very much appreciated
Community Updates
Misc
10 Comments
Why do you need plywood, can't you just get a kitchen cupboard hinge hole saw
Join two doors using brackets similar to link below. Then fix batten to wall and use original hinges. amazon.co.uk/INC…8-8
ding23/01/2020 16:02

Why do you need plywood, can't you just get a kitchen cupboard hinge hole …Why do you need plywood, can't you just get a kitchen cupboard hinge hole saw

I don’t know, but was thinking that the side panel is much thinner than a door and for the hinges to be secured properly larger screws would be needed. I really don’t know that’s way I am asking for suggestions
cuzzy23/01/2020 16:06

Join two doors using brackets similar to link below. Then fix batten to …Join two doors using brackets similar to link below. Then fix batten to wall and use original hinges. https://www.amazon.co.uk/INCREWAY-Stainless-Straight-Support-Brackets/dp/B07HBSWQ3C/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=Flat+brackets&qid=1579795333&sr=8-8

Aesthetically I would prefer one continuous door but if it can’t be done that’s a great suggestion, thank you
So like you say, the side panels are thinner, 13mm I think. Doors using the Ike hinge have a 35mm wide hole cut into them, and this would need to go too deep for the 13mm panel, so yes, a strip, or full panel of plywood would work. You could get a colour match paint to make it less noticeable.

Alternatively, as has already been mentioned, you could join 2 doors, the bonus being that the hinge cutouts already exist, you then need item 503.086.05, which is specifically designed to work with IKEA kit.

Using the plywood, you have to be very accurate with cutting the hinge holes to make sure to door sits right, but there's a good site here which explains how - handycrowd.com/ikea-sektion-ultrusta-cabinet-hinge-template/
Edited by: "rmjowen" 23rd Jan
If the panel is big enough & stable enough then have you not considered using Buttonfix components?
button-fix.com/

That way it can be lifted on & off, if you rarely need access to it then even better
No hinges necessarily needed.
Don’t bodge it you will be able to tell, and make it look like a bodge job. Consider using two doors you can connect them together so it opens as one door. Ikea recommend this for some of their units and many kitchen companies will do it with a couple of drawers fronts to make look like a dresser type of unit.
rmjowen23/01/2020 18:11

So like you say, the side panels are thinner, 13mm I think. Doors using …So like you say, the side panels are thinner, 13mm I think. Doors using the Ike hinge have a 35mm wide hole cut into them, and this would need to go too deep for the 13mm panel, so yes, a strip, or full panel of plywood would work. You could get a colour match paint to make it less noticeable. Alternatively, as has already been mentioned, you could join 2 doors, the bonus being that the hinge cutouts already exist, you then need item 503.086.05, which is specifically designed to work with IKEA kit.Using the plywood, you have to be very accurate with cutting the hinge holes to make sure to door sits right, but there's a good site here which explains how - handycrowd.com/ikea-sektion-ultrusta-cabinet-hinge-template/

Thank you, rmjowen I am happy to hear that side panel idea isn’t totally undoable
I am not an expert but can’t see anyway that a proper cabinet can be constructed to enclose the boiler. It sits in the corner and all the plumbing pipes run the length of the side wall, so I was imagining that the door could be hinged directly to the wall or to wood planks attached to the wall. That would possibly give some freedom as to what hinges could be used, as long as the door/side panel sits flush against the wall cabinets and the sink unit adjacent to it I will be very happy.
I love the look of one uninterrupted surface but I suppose I should consider the two doors jointed approach if it is easier and fewer things can go wrong. I had a look at the connecting rails and for the life of me I cannot see how they work
Thanks again
Mr_Gus23/01/2020 19:14

If the panel is big enough & stable enough then have you not considered …If the panel is big enough & stable enough then have you not considered using Buttonfix components? https://button-fix.com/That way it can be lifted on & off, if you rarely need access to it then even betterNo hinges necessarily needed.

Wow, I’ve never seen these before, absolutely fantastic product Thank you! Unfortunately there is nothing but the boiler there to be buttoned to. Plus, yes I’ll probably make good use of the space underneath the boiler for keeping broomsticks and such so it would need to be easily accessible. Saying that I am very grateful, as I can think of numerous times when I would have loved to have had these magic button-fixers
eslick23/01/2020 20:08

Don’t bodge it you will be able to tell, and make it look like a bodge j …Don’t bodge it you will be able to tell, and make it look like a bodge job. Consider using two doors you can connect them together so it opens as one door. Ikea recommend this for some of their units and many kitchen companies will do it with a couple of drawers fronts to make look like a dresser type of unit.

You’re too right, It’s a pity they don’t have a proper door tall enough and I am just trying to avoid it looking as an afterthought, but as you say it might look bodged which would be worse
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions