IKEA Trafdi Smart Bulbs on Phillips Hue Bridge and Alexa £7 at Ikea

Posted 3rd Sep 2019
Hi All

I found out last night that I can setup IKEA Trafdi Smart Bulbs on my Phillips Hue Bridge.

I bought 3x E14/SES Candle Bulbs at £7 each and now have these working with Phillips Hue and Amazon Alexa!

Pre-Requisites:
  • Install "Hue Essentials" from Playstore (Not sure if there's an iOS version)
  • Open the app and connect your Phillips Hue Bridge

What to do next:
  • Get a lamp and plug in near your Phillips Hue Bridge
  • Install your new IKEA bulb into the lamp
  • Turn the lamp on/off 6 times to reset the bulb
  • Open Hue Essentials, Click Lights from Menu
  • Add a light and press the 'Touchlink' button (Your bulb should start pulsing)
  • Once finished pulsing, click 'Search for lights'
  • You should now be able to name your light, control it via Hue and sync with Alexa

I believe you can also sync the Wireless Dimmer Switch!

Good Luck!

ikea.com/gb/…12/
Community Updates
19 Comments
Do you need to use the IKEA gateway as well?
You don't need Hue essentials. It can be done with the native App. This is not new...
Ferdy03/09/2019 13:15

Do you need to use the IKEA gateway as well?

No, you can connect them to the Hue hub.
If you have an echo plus do you need a a philips hue hub?
As a note for the iOS users out there, when pairing tradfri bulbs to a hue hub you will not have visibility of the bulb in HomeKit and will only be able to control it through the hue app and not by voice / automations.

You can get round this by using homebridge on either a raspberry pi or docker container and installing the hue plugin. There is a config option to enable it to only announce non-hue bulbs to HomeKit so you don’t get duplicates of any legit hue bulbs.

I would also recommend having an ikea tradfri hub to update bulb firmware before pairing to a hue hub as a lot of bulbs in stores have old firmware which causes disconnect issues.
This isn't news. And it's not as complicated as your description. In my experience Ikea bulbs can be added with less fuss than native Hue bulbs. Also works with the wireless LED drivers.
Neither a deal, nor new.
I’ve been using Tradfri bulbs in places I don’t need/want the full Hue features. A couple of things to note using Tradfri with Hue:
- you can’t update the firmware on Tradfri bulbs with Hue Bridge
- you can’t change brightness and colour/temperature at the same time with Tradfri bulbs. Hue bridge will try to end both commands at the same time but only one will take effect
Easy enough stuff to work around
MarkPatterson03/09/2019 13:17

As a note for the iOS users out there, when pairing tradfri bulbs to a hue …As a note for the iOS users out there, when pairing tradfri bulbs to a hue hub you will not have visibility of the bulb in HomeKit and will only be able to control it through the hue app and not by voice / automations.You can get round this by using homebridge on either a raspberry pi or docker container and installing the hue plugin. There is a config option to enable it to only announce non-hue bulbs to HomeKit so you don’t get duplicates of any legit hue bulbs.I would also recommend having an ikea tradfri hub to update bulb firmware before pairing to a hue hub as a lot of bulbs in stores have old firmware which causes disconnect issues.

You can also get around this by ditching Apple for Android

*Everybody take cover!!!*
Edited by: "Slurrpy" 3rd Sep 2019
Savvy103/09/2019 13:16

If you have an echo plus do you need a a philips hue hub?

Yes the hue hub will be required.
vShane1403/09/2019 14:48

Yes the hue hub will be required.

Okay.... I was under the impression that the plus has built in home hub? I'm confused
Slurrpy03/09/2019 14:39

You can also get around this by ditching Apple for Android*Everybody take …You can also get around this by ditching Apple for Android*Everybody take cover!!!*

This should not be necessary as you should not have bought Apple in the first place.
Savvy103/09/2019 14:54

Okay.... I was under the impression that the plus has built in home hub? …Okay.... I was under the impression that the plus has built in home hub? I'm confused

Oh sorry "plus"... I didn't even know there was a "plus"... it might be worth trying...
Will it work with Samsung's SmartThings?
vShane1403/09/2019 17:06

According to this, yes they do : …According to this, yes they do : https://community.smartthings.com/t/ikea-tradfri-wireless-driver/166544

Thanks a lot!
Savvy103/09/2019 14:54

Okay.... I was under the impression that the plus has built in home hub? …Okay.... I was under the impression that the plus has built in home hub? I'm confused

The Echo Plus can add and operate bulbs and you can use those Alexa 'skills', whatever they may be. But it won't work with sensors, don't know if it works with switches and as far as I know it won't retain and operate scenes and effects, which are a massive part of Hue.
Pokey03/09/2019 18:35

The Echo Plus can add and operate bulbs and you can use those Alexa …The Echo Plus can add and operate bulbs and you can use those Alexa 'skills', whatever they may be. But it won't work with sensors, don't know if it works with switches and as far as I know it won't retain and operate scenes and effects, which are a massive part of Hue.

Great.... Would the plus control any zigbee device such as zigbee motion sensors?
Further to the info above, I'd advise against using Tradfri bulbs on a Hue hub, as there are STILL bugs with it.

The requirement for homebridge is a pain in the proverbial, if you want Homekit integration. It may very well break randomly when it updates or requires updates. I know this from experience, as I will again have to re-setup my mate's Homebridge install running on a Ubuntu VM.

The "two commands at once fails" thing is really annoying if you want to use scenes (where the brightness and colour temp change at the same time).

You can't update the firmware without a Tradfri gateway. (Well, you can, but it's not straight forwards from a Hue hub. I have a Tradfri gateway, bulbs etc.)

The most infuriating ongoing issue however is the bulbs randomly "flash" from off or dim, to full brightness, and then back. Which appears to be them resetting, at seemingly random intervals when connected to a Hue hub. Imagine a camera flash in a dark room while trying to watch a movie.

I wouldn't recommend Tradfri to others, although they're vastly better now than they used to be. But absolutely avoid using Tradfri bulbs on a Hue hub, the price difference isn't worth the hassle.
Post a comment
@
    Text