Groups

I'm a PC I am Windows 7...not!!!

Most folks have had no problems installing Windows 7 so you can imagine I was looking forward to installing it when I got my copy recently.

So backed up most of my files that I needed to my external USB drive, then decided to do a full install of Windows 7 to my internal SATA hard drive, great I thought initially.

As you may well be aware in Windows 7 after it boots up from the DVD Rom drive gives you the option to do a full format of the hard drive...which I did, after which it stated it could not install Windows 7 to the hard drive...was gutted to say the least!!.

Came across the load driver option thinking well maybe need a SATA driver so that Windows 7 could recognise the hard drive...you could imagine my frustration knowing that I had to reinstall Windows XP again to the drive so as I could get on the web to locate the driver for the SATA.

Finally got the driver from the MSI motherboard website, decided to burn it to a CD and my USB pen, finally I could get around to installing the driver on Windows 7. So again I began to install Windows 7 yet again, selected the load driver option, inserted the CD with the SATA driver, said that the driver was incompatible with Windows 7, so tried the driver on my USB Pen, again said it was incompatible. Enough was enough installed Windows XP again, decided not to even attempt another install of Windows 7 until I buy a new or second user IDE hard drive.

On a good note whilst I was installing Windows XP yet again I came across a neat little free program that installs all essential utilities etc (assuming that you use these programs) for you automatically after you have installed a new copy of Windows XP or Windows 7 for that fact. The website is ninite.com/

So had anybody else had any problems with getting Windows 7 up and running or encountered any problems as well?

25 Comments

No problems here and installed it on 4 machines all with SATA hard drives

Original Poster

Robotochan;6695091

No problems here and installed it on 4 machines all with SATA hard drives

Excellent, must be my crappy board or drivers :thinking:

Shouldnt need to get more drivers.

Banned

Windows 7 has a Remove Old Versions option in it after installation. Why do you need to format?

When you are at the stage when you are setting up the drive do you delete the partition as well as format it - then create a new partition or do you just format the old one?

Also, is the disc a new 'legit' one? Could it be worth downloading a retail version, burning that to disc & using that?

You haven't changed any bios settings that would cause the sata settings to malfunction. Could clearing the cmos & bios settings (as long as you have the ability to update the bios afterwards) help?

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;6695172

Shouldnt need to get more drivers.

That is what I was thinking so gave up in the end, will wait till I buy an IDE hard drive.

Hkem;6695173

Windows 7 has a Remove Old Versions option in it after installation. Why … Windows 7 has a Remove Old Versions option in it after installation. Why do you need to format?

Was a clean install I wanted , never got that far into Windows 7 to get that option.

Original Poster

Painkiller;6695204

When you are at the stage when you are setting up the drive do you delete … When you are at the stage when you are setting up the drive do you delete the partition as well as format it - then create a new partition or do you just format the old one?Also, is the disc a new 'legit' one? Could it be worth downloading a retail version, burning that to disc & using that?

Formatted the old one that was all.

Yes Windows 7 is legit, got it several days ago from Argos.

is your windows xp a genuine version

Original Poster

atigona;6695234

is your windows xp a genuine version

Yes it is genuine

GerryG;6695316

Yes it is genuine

thanks it was more of a question i needed a answer to as i wanted to know if you can gupgrade to windows 7 genuine even if your xp isn't as not sure if it is

^^^Did you spot my edit about the Bios settings & clearing the cmos?^^^

Original Poster

atigona;6695379

thanks it was more of a question i needed a answer to as i wanted to know … thanks it was more of a question i needed a answer to as i wanted to know if you can gupgrade to windows 7 genuine even if your xp isn't as not sure if it is

I opted to do a full install so formatted the hard drive, wish I would have tried to upgrade instead.

Painkiller;6695380

^^^Did you spot my edit about the Bios settings & clearing the cmos?^^^

No sorry, will have a look...thanks.

Original Poster

Painkiller;6695204

When you are at the stage when you are setting up the drive do you delete … When you are at the stage when you are setting up the drive do you delete the partition as well as format it - then create a new partition or do you just format the old one?Also, is the disc a new 'legit' one? Could it be worth downloading a retail version, burning that to disc & using that?You haven't changed any bios settings that would cause the sata settings to malfunction. Could clearing the cmos & bios settings (as long as you have the ability to update the bios afterwards) help?

I never touched any of the bios settings on the board, I might have a look into resetting the bios and play around with it soon...thanks

can upgrade to windows 7 if my xp isn't genuine

Original Poster

atigona;6695440

can upgrade to windows 7 if my xp isn't genuine

Could you not just do a full install on a newly formatted hard drive?

GerryG;6695485

Could you not just do a full install on a newly formatted hard drive?

can you do that with a upgrade version as need to get all my questions answered before buying as don't want to to waste 30 quid

Original Poster

atigona;6695520

can you do that with a upgrade version as need to get all my questions … can you do that with a upgrade version as need to get all my questions answered before buying as don't want to to waste 30 quid

To be honest I don't really know but if I find out I will let you know.

Original Poster

atigona;6695629

i think you can as found this thread … i think you can as found this thread http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/509108/windows-7-professional-full-retail?page=2

Excellent, thanks for that..rep added..ta!!

atigona;6695520

can you do that with a upgrade version as need to get all my questions … can you do that with a upgrade version as need to get all my questions answered before buying as don't want to to waste 30 quid

Yes, You can

shauneco;6695856

Yes, You can

thanks rep left for the avatar and the help

atigona;6695520

you can't upgrade from xp, you need to do a clean install.

I have a Dell XPS420. Whipped out the current HDD, put in new a 1.5TB Samsung, booted with Windows 7 Home Premium in the drive and away it went. No problems during the install and I was amazed to find that virtually all the drivers were installed such as network, chipset etc. The first Windows update grabbed updated Nvidia graphics card drivers but to be honest, Windows 7 onto this machine was the simplest and quickest I've ever performed.

As it's a Dell machine, I really expected a lot of driver issues but there haven't been any!

Q-Tec;6698371

I have a Dell XPS420. Whipped out the current HDD, put in new a 1.5TB … I have a Dell XPS420. Whipped out the current HDD, put in new a 1.5TB Samsung, booted with Windows 7 Home Premium in the drive and away it went. No problems during the install and I was amazed to find that virtually all the drivers were installed such as network, chipset etc. The first Windows update grabbed updated Nvidia graphics card drivers but to be honest, Windows 7 onto this machine was the simplest and quickest I've ever performed.As it's a Dell machine, I really expected a lot of driver issues but there haven't been any!

nice:thumbsup:

do you only get to download or do you get the disk
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions