Im going to america on holiday, advice needed on buying computer parts

Found 14th Apr 2015
Hello,

Im going on a 2 week holiday to America, mainly Washington and New York. I was thinking about buying some computer parts out there, mainly a samsung 850 evo 500gb and also a corsair hydro h75.

Ive had a look on amazon.com and they are cheaper.

Does anyone have any advice, is here a problem with me buying them out there?

Also, is there any bricks and mortor shops in the US that sells computer parts as I would prefer to physically get them.

Regards
Farmio

9 Comments

You could try Best Buy, they are mentioned a lot on tech YouTube videos and you can check the prices online before you go too.

samsung 850 evo 500gb - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-850-evo-500gb-internal-serial-ata-solid-state-drive-for-laptops-black/1662009.p?id=1219507980756&skuId=1662009

corsair hydro h75 - bestbuy.com/sit…688

If I bought something in the US I'd unbox it as I'd used it whilst in the US therefore try avoid import tax.
I'm not sure I'd want to bring anything with a circuit board through an airport though.

willhay555

If I bought something in the US I'd unbox it as I'd used it whilst in the … If I bought something in the US I'd unbox it as I'd used it whilst in the US therefore try avoid import tax.I'm not sure I'd want to bring anything with a circuit board through an airport though.

Are you suggesting tax avoidance, you know how hotukdealers frown on that :).

Bestbuys is the biggest seller, you can order online with an international credit card as well which many don't allow. Don't forget about sales tax and the poor exchange rates may not make things as cheap as you want and there may be warranty issues. Saying that I have bought two laptops over the years but then again one of those was with a $2 to the £

Sales tax in New York state is 8.875% that is on top of the advertised price.

Original Poster

Hello All,

Thanks for the replies.

Im not worried about things with circuit board through airports, the hard drive will be unpowered and we take things like laptops, phones, tablets. etc through all the time.

I was thinking of buying stuff from amazon.com and trying to get it delivered to our hotel. I would stand a better chance of amazon replacing it for me over here if anything was to go wrong with it. No guarantee I know, but would you agree its a better bet?

Looks like Washington has a lower rate of tax, so ill try and do my shopping there. Is there a tax back scheme like they operate over here and in Australia?

looking at the prices, ill save about £30 - £50, its better in my pocket than someone else's.

Farmio

Hello All,Thanks for the replies.Im not worried about things with circuit … Hello All,Thanks for the replies.Im not worried about things with circuit board through airports, the hard drive will be unpowered and we take things like laptops, phones, tablets. etc through all the time.I was thinking of buying stuff from amazon.com and trying to get it delivered to our hotel. I would stand a better chance of amazon replacing it for me over here if anything was to go wrong with it. No guarantee I know, but would you agree its a better bet?Looks like Washington has a lower rate of tax, so ill try and do my shopping there. Is there a tax back scheme like they operate over here and in Australia?looking at the prices, ill save about £30 - £50, its better in my pocket than someone else's.

There isn't a tax back program like in some countries

Amazon delivering to hotels seems to be a good process, friend of mine had loads of stuff delivered to his hotel when we were in a business trip there for a few weeks, he joked things just kept turning up as friends were just ordering and having them delivered.

i found bestbuys in nyc had little stock of parts had hoped to buy a year ago so disappointed and dear after tax and carting through airport clearing etc made it pointless imho.

Farmio

looking at the prices, ill save about £30 - £50, its better in my pocket t … looking at the prices, ill save about £30 - £50, its better in my pocket than someone else's.

As long as your happy using up your baggage allowance and space go for it.

Personally I'd rather spend the extra few quid and have the piece of mind if anything goes wrong I'm not jumping in circles to get a replacement or refund.
With something like the h75 I'd be paranoid the luggage would get its standard treatment and loosen or break a seal, leading to it trashing my whole system.

Its something I looked at doing a while back as the company I would for has a branch/arm over in the US.
After some research the risk and hassle vs savings wasn't worth it.

Better to find an outlet and stock up on shoes and clothes
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions