I'm looking to move away from my registrar and web hoster

Found 9th Oct 2017
This is a joint venture between my brother and I, We have motels in New Zealand with a website which was set up by the son of the outgoing owner. We have had it for 4 years now and his hosting / registration seemed reasonable at the time ( NZ$50+GST reg) and (NZ$510+GST hosting). I'm looking at moving away from him, downloading with HTtrack and uploading the site with wordpress. any pointers would be appreciated.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  1. Ask
I am assuming you currently use WordPress? If so then you’ll need to ask for a copy of the website and database from the existing owner. HTtrack will only copy public html pages and media so the website won’t work correctly. Regarding the domain, it’s not quite as simple to transfer as a .com but can be done. The cost seems fairly reasonable however for a .nz domain. With regards to the hosting, you can pick any hosting company you wish. The registrar and hosting doesn’t need to be with the same company. Depending on the size and complexity of the website, it will cost anything from £5 to £70+ a month depending on who you choose and whether you go for shared, vps or dedicated server hosting.
Original Poster
I have access to the the wordpress through the existing host. The site itself has little traffic as most of the booking goes through Booking.com or AATravel.co.nz.

.NZ for the domain is in dispute as we have the .co.nz but there is also xxxx.school.nz and xxxxx.org.nz but that is a side issue.
@nougat I’m not completely sure I understand your question. But I’m a web developer and have been for 12+ years now so if you need any advice or pointers, feel free to send me a PM and I’ll answer any questions you have regarding domains, hosting and WordPress.
Post a comment

Top Discussions

Top Merchants