I’m New To Renting A Property

Posted 14th Jun
Hi, so as the title suggests I am new to renting as I have never rented before, in one of the properties description it says that it comes furnished.

I know this might sound like a silly question but are you allowed to ask the estate agent to unfurnish the property as I’d quite like to furnish it with the things I like?
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
deleted2510354
Thank you
some landlords will be able to take the furniture out if they have somewhere to store them but some won't be able to do so. it all depends on their circumstance. often those who are flexible will advertise the property as furnished or unfurnished and those that are advertised as furnished may be less likely to be able to remove the furniture.
Have also rented unfinished to move in and find a bed and mattress 2 wardrobes and a drawer there. Took up the box room for 3 years we were there. Thankfully we didn't need the space.

Basically don't be afraid to ask anything and everything. Best to cover all bases before you sign and get in there
Some people can't...
Doesn’t seem a silly question. However you’ll be paying more for furnished and I doubt they’ll reduce the rent.
Do you already have furnishings, is it that much of a deal to use theirs if you don’t? Practical advice would be to save cash towards buying your own place than paying to furnish a furnished property.
britlad14/06/2020 22:10

Some people can't...

some people's cricumstance also means they are not yet ready to commit to a huge mortgage and settle down. renting for them is what suits them at the time.
deleted2510354
Oneday7714/06/2020 22:47

Doesn’t seem a silly question. However you’ll be paying more for furnished …Doesn’t seem a silly question. However you’ll be paying more for furnished and I doubt they’ll reduce the rent. Do you already have furnishings, is it that much of a deal to use theirs if you don’t? Practical advice would be to save cash towards buying your own place than paying to furnish a furnished property.

I live with parents at the minute so can take some stuff out of my bedroom to take in to the new flat, but that’s about it really. Just that the furniture in the properties images looks a bit dated shall we say
Oneday7714/06/2020 22:47

Doesn’t seem a silly question. However you’ll be paying more for furnished …Doesn’t seem a silly question. However you’ll be paying more for furnished and I doubt they’ll reduce the rent. Do you already have furnishings, is it that much of a deal to use theirs if you don’t? Practical advice would be to save cash towards buying your own place than paying to furnish a furnished property.

this is not true. furnished properties are not always more expensive than unfurnished ones. landlords can have properties advertised at a stated price and allows the prospective tenants to choose whether they want it furnished or unfurnished, this particularly applies to houses.

landlords make the decision to furnish a property to attract a certain type of market, similarly for unfurnish. it also used to be more tax efficient for landlords to rent out furnished properties.
deleted251035414/06/2020 23:02

I live with parents at the minute so can take some stuff out of my bedroom …I live with parents at the minute so can take some stuff out of my bedroom to take in to the new flat, but that’s about it really. Just that the furniture in the properties images looks a bit dated shall we say

Well done on taking the leap and moving out.

The biggest bit of advice I can give you, is avoid consumerism and save to buy. Many of us have fallen into the trap of trying to keep modern and fashionable. It only wastes money and impresses for a shallow period of time.

Sorry if that sounds all fuddy duddy, enjoy your freedom but it’s worth learning from others mistakes, wish I had.
I am not sure if this is still the case but the rules for unfurnishished and furnished properties were different, as a renter you have more rights to unfurnished. this maybe different now. So landlords used to want to rent fully funrnished....
If it’s old dated like you say it will have bugs on so tell the agent its very old dated and will have stains on so your not comfortable with the sofa and bed! Imagine how many people slept on that! Yuk!
Keep all the appliances tho.
Ask the landlord what comes in the property. If it’s already in there the landlord will prob be reluctant to remove it and therefore you won’t have a choice! But have a conversation - renters are more empowered than before due to covid19
Peejay123415/06/2020 08:52

I am not sure if this is still the case but the rules for unfurnishished …I am not sure if this is still the case but the rules for unfurnishished and furnished properties were different, as a renter you have more rights to unfurnished. this maybe different now. So landlords used to want to rent fully funrnished....

with regard to tenants have rights, renting a furnished or unfurnished property made no difference. there were tax incentives for landlords who rented out furnished properties but that has now stopped so going forward you may see less furnished properties around.
Post a comment
@
    Text