Groups

Im off to the petshop ,.......**PICTURESS**

And probally going to buy some sort of animal , i have a hamster , and might get another one ... BUT , rats looks quite cute , so :

- anyone had a rat before
    - are they kind natured
    - do they tend to bite
    - do they smell ??

, oh yeah , and im actually obsessed with hamsters sooooo, if they arent as good as hamsters they off the list lol !

40 Comments

Do you realise that rats require much bigger cages than hamsters?

inb4
    'yes'
    'alright till I dumped him'
    'only in bed'
    'if he hadn't had a bath for 3 days'

Original Poster

kimbyanne;8502269

Do you realise that rats require much bigger cages than hamsters?

yes, because rats are bigger than hamsters lol, but i hace a massive 3 tire cage suitable for hamsters & rats

Original Poster

whatsThePoint;8502278

why would anyone say that to a 13 y/o

im 14 now !!

Yes
    It was horrible creature
    It bit me and my Dad, never my mum though
    a little bit more then hamsters...especially their wee.

...on a further note it bit my dad and he bashed the cage and it died within a few hours after that...it then got thrown down a rubbish chute! (i didnt want anything dead in my room)

This is merely my opinion, I would never get one again, nor when I have kids let them have one. Whereas I would let them have hamsters, maybe a rabbit, certainly cats and dogs. But it all depends...personally I'm not a big fan of small animals as pets.

aah96;8502277

yes, because rats are bigger than hamsters lol, but i hace a massive 3 … yes, because rats are bigger than hamsters lol, but i hace a massive 3 tire cage suitable for hamsters & rats

You would be surprised at how many people think rats can live in hamster cages. Seriously.

buy a small wolf or a medium cheetah

Original Poster

kimbyanne;8502287

You would be surprised at how many people think rats can live in hamster … You would be surprised at how many people think rats can live in hamster cages. Seriously.

what idiots !! hamster cages = hamsters lool !

we had pet rats and they were brilliant, we had females so their wee was not strong, they were very loving and playfull, you have to spend time with them right from the start,ours were bout 6 weeks old when we got them, they need human contact or another rat as they are very sociable, they lived bout 2 and half yrs, would recommend them anytime

Original Poster

whatsThePoint;8502286

Just the right age to get a Sugar Glider then :thumbsup:

i didnt know what they were until i googled them , and there really cute !!

Original Poster

im not just interested in rats are there another other animals ?? , just not a bugerigar i dont have enough money and there all look like my last one sunshine :cry:

they need quite a large cage, at least a two storey one and los of thinks to gnaw on so their teeth don`t get too long, we put fine sandpaper on their ladders as it helps keep their nails short too

Original Poster

fskinner;8502302

they need quite a large cage, at least a two storey one and los of thinks … they need quite a large cage, at least a two storey one and los of thinks to gnaw on so their teeth don`t get too long, we put fine sandpaper on their ladders as it helps keep their nails short too

will a 3 storey one doo then ??

Banned

erm excuse me...... you have milo.

no sharing milo's love please

also don`t put in with a hamster, as the rat will kill it, needs to be seperate as they don`t get on at all

- anyone had a rat before
    Yes

- are they kind natured
    Mine were, very friendly and sociable. You can't really get one on it's own though.

- do they tend to bite
    No, but I suppose they could, just like any animal with teeth.

- do they smell ??
    The actual rat doesn't smell, but it's wee does a bit. As long as you clean it's cage out regularly it'll be fine.

My advice would be to wait a bit and have a read of some books or on the internet about them. They are clever and sociable animals and can live for about 3 years.

en.wikipedia.org/wik…rat

Original Poster

fskinner;8502310

also don`t put in with a hamster, as the rat will kill it, needs to be … also don`t put in with a hamster, as the rat will kill it, needs to be seperate as they don`t get on at all

i know , lol !

Original Poster

Goldenballs;8502313

- anyone had a rat beforeYes- are they kind naturedMine were, very … - anyone had a rat beforeYes- are they kind naturedMine were, very friendly and sociable. You can't really get one on it's own though.- do they tend to biteNo, but I suppose they could, just like any animal with teeth.- do they smell ??The actual rat doesn't smell, but it's wee does a bit. As long as you clean it's cage out regularly it'll be fine. My advice would be to wait a bit and have a read of some books or on the internet about them. They are clever and sociable animals and can live for about 3 years.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fancy_rat

i dont want to wait , lol, i might just get a hamster (syrain)

get guinea pigs :-D

Original Poster

whatsThePoint;8502315

Once they know you they will stay on you if you go out the house and you … Once they know you they will stay on you if you go out the house and you can teach them to glide to you as well

they look amazing, doubt i would be able to find one in a pet shop tho

Original Poster

micoo;8502326

get guinea pigs :-D

no were too put them !!

aah96;8502332

no were too put them !!

get a cage :lol: there not much bigger than a rat would be and much nicer than rats

ive had rats before, aslong as you handle them alot and they have lots of company they wont bite, really smart also, easy to look after, clean them out, feed them, give them company and things to do

Original Poster

micoo;8502337

get a cage :lol: there not much bigger than a rat would be and much nicer … get a cage :lol: there not much bigger than a rat would be and much nicer than rats

with what money !!

aah96;8502348

with what money !!

u said u already had a big cage

Original Poster

micoo;8502360

u said u already had a big cage

Not that big !

its tall and quite wide but not wide enough !

aah96;8502366

Not that big ! its tall and quite wide but not wide enough !

so why u puttin rats in it? rats are about the same size as guinea pigs

micoo;8502378

so why u puttin rats in it? rats are about the same size as guinea pigs

Guineas weigh about 1-1.25kgs, rats weigh about 250-300 grams...that is quite a LARGE difference :p:p

Mod & Ed

ferrets are cool

whatsThePoint;8502420

Is there any pet more boring than a guinea pig, all they do is eat and … Is there any pet more boring than a guinea pig, all they do is eat and make a funny squeaking noise

ye but they are awesome, easy to look after and affectionate

Get Degus, you wont be disappointed and they cheap. Have to buy more that 1 though.

whatsThePoint;8502402

If you get a skinny guinea and a fat rat they weight about the same

Would have to be quite extremes of both though! :thumbsup:

Mod & Ed

whatsThePoint;8502425

and best of all they will fit in a hamster cage if you bend them in half … and best of all they will fit in a hamster cage if you bend them in half :thumbsup:

well obviously if the only space available is a hamster cage, it has to be a hamster/gerbil, but ferrets are still cool, mine lived happily in a shed:thumbsup:

whatsThePoint;8502454

Only 1 way to find out, fight....oops wrong showMaking the guinea thin … Only 1 way to find out, fight....oops wrong showMaking the guinea thin would be easy but never tried force feeding a rat

I'm sure they don't need force feeding, just leaving food in their constantly and I am sure they have the american gene! :w00t:

Mod & Ed

whatsThePoint;8502480

I had 4 ferrets until last year, 3 got ill and died within a day, rehomed … I had 4 ferrets until last year, 3 got ill and died within a day, rehomed the 4th onethey do beat any pet for being fun to watch, apart from sugar gliders maybe :roll:

Aah, I'm sorry to hear that

Original Poster

i got another hamster !!

unamed yet !

Original Poster

i expired it and i didnt mean too!

Banned

get a feret.....you can put it on a lead and take it for walks.
    http://www.ferretcouture.co.uk/Images/latest-resources/products/Hoody-camo-top-dog-feret-bi.gif

its almost a meerkat haha

aah96;8503174

i got another hamster !! unamed yet !

Just dont call it like my brother did...so boring "Hammy" as he "couldn't think of anything better!"

Request made to unexpire.

i had rats twice, got 2 boys both times. Really lovely pets, never bit me once.
    First two i had were really good, we left their cage open all day and they only ever went on the floor one time(and on that occasion not being able to get back up to their cage seemed to put them off doing it again).

Second pair were a LOT more mischievous, and smart. They learned how to open the door on their cage and often got out, and would jump down on the floor from their table which was about 1m high.

As mentioned before, smell is only bad if you don't clean their cage.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just an thought regarding Paypal98
      2. Samsung 4k TVs which one 49/55inch curved? £1.50034
      3. Type 11, 21 or 22 Radiators?24
      4. Which Kodi Add-ons?1314

See more discussions