Groups

I'm on Jury service.....boy is it boring me stiff!!!

Day 1: Turn up at 9:15 - get dismissed at 11:00
    Day 2: Turn up at 11:15 - get dismissed at 12:45
    Day 3: Turn up at 10:15 - get dismissed at 14:30
    Day 4: Turn up at 10:15 - get dismissed at 11:00
    Days 5 to 10: Dismissed!

Will i ever get to sit on a case?!?!? - Clearly not!

Out of the 60 of us that turned up at the start of the week, 12 got used on Monday, 24 on Tuesday, 24 Wednesday & 24 Thursday. On Wednesday five got told they weren't required again - but would still get paid for the remaining 7 days! .....and then a further 17 (myself included) were given the same news today (Thursday)

What a blatant waste of taxpayers money!!

The fact that I'm sat around twiddling my thumbs (getting paid a paltry £61.28p a day!) when i could be out working, is now starting to get to me!

36 Comments

I feel your pain, did it in 2008. Never got a case until the second week :x

nice lol, i got to start jury service later this month, sounds like it will be right fun....

I would love to do jury service

xena_morph;3985326

yh me too. Bet I'll never be picked :-(

Banned

Never had to do it - and I'm so pleased!

I'd rather go to work - and that's saying something.

Original Poster

Elberto;3985273

I feel your pain, did it in 2008. Never got a case until the second week … I feel your pain, did it in 2008. Never got a case until the second week :x

Welcome aboard Elberto

What you moaning for, i would love to earn £62 for a couple of hours doing nothing. An all rest of the day to go out have some fun or get on & do some DIY around the house

Original Poster

xena_morph;3985326

Me too!! :lol:

mrfun1981;3985426

What you moaning for, i would love to earn £62 for a couple of hours … What you moaning for, i would love to earn £62 for a couple of hours doing nothing. An all rest of the day to go out have some fun or get on & do some DIY around the house

very true x x

Original Poster

mrfun1981;3985426

What you moaning for, i would love to earn £62 for a couple of hours … What you moaning for, i would love to earn £62 for a couple of hours doing nothing. An all rest of the day to go out have some fun or get on & do some DIY around the house

I'm a self-employed carpet fitter/floor layer, i normally earn well over double that!

Original Poster

guv;3985393

Never had to do it - and I'm so pleased!I'd rather go to work - and … Never had to do it - and I'm so pleased!I'd rather go to work - and that's saying something.

Watcha guv :thumbsup:

When i first got the letter, i didn't want to do it. Now that I'm there - I'd like to, listening to a case has to be better than twiddling my thumbs!??!

golfchip;3985395

Welcome aboard Elberto

Thanks

Waiting that first week for a case felt like waiting for a plane that is never coming. When I did get onto a case it was one of the best things I have ever done. Very emotional too as it was a big case.

Supermod

I spend more time in court than I would like to. If only it was like it is portayed in Eastenders!!

Have a quiet word with the Jury Officer and see if you can be released - explain you are losing out on earnings etc and if they have more people than they need, I'm sure they will consider it.

Just done my second stint of Jury service in Dec.....even when you are picked for a jury there are times when you have to wait hours for them to start.

Was interesting - like for instance the jurors have to sit in the same place every session and you have line up and go in to court in order, so that there is no "unseemly" shuffling past one another. There were long pauses between the questions put to the witnesses - not because the lawyers were trying to think of what next to ask but because they were waiting for the judge to finish writing his notes. When we retired to consider the verdict we were not allowed to leave the jury room, all mobiles were removed and a court official was permanently sat outside the door.

How come you don't get a proper level of compensation?
    The early finishes are OK though.
    Your country's legal system needs you, but not as much as nearly all the other 59 who started;-)

Banned

been to court loads of times, still get the old butterflys, but alwasy good for a laugh when your get the defence laywers trying to find a loophole somewhere when their client is bang to rights

Original Poster

gari189;3985718

Have a quiet word with the Jury Officer and see if you can be released - … Have a quiet word with the Jury Officer and see if you can be released - explain you are losing out on earnings etc and if they have more people than they need, I'm sure they will consider it.

Hi gary.

I overheard somebody asking just that question, it didn't help him - he's currently sat on a Jury!

Original Poster

chesso;3985849

How come you don't get a proper level of compensation?The early finishes … How come you don't get a proper level of compensation?The early finishes are OK though.Your country's legal system needs you, but not as much as nearly all the other 59 who started;-)

Evening ches

After 2 weeks it doubles to a maximum of £122.57p - which is more acceptable, but apparently it's very rare if your asked to stay on longer than the 2 weeks.

I can't do any work either, as the majority of my customers require at least a weeks notice.

Original Poster

dog_cop;3985896

been to court loads of times, still get the old butterflys, but alwasy … been to court loads of times, still get the old butterflys, but alwasy good for a laugh when your get the defence laywers trying to find a loophole somewhere when their client is bang to rights

DC.....does your "Dog" have to take the stand as well!?!?!:giggle:

Must be frustrating as hell when you know damned well someone is guilty as hell.....but gets off?

Hi this may be of some use to you,

Financial loss

An allowance may be claimed for an amount of loss or additional expense (other than travelling or subsistence) which you have incurred, subject to the maximum set out in the allowances sheet (PDF) . This is calculated on a daily basis, according to the period of time over which the earnings or benefits under the National Insurance Acts are lost or additional expense incurred.

Above taken from ]Here

Hope this is of use to you.

On the link there is also a part on self employed jurors

golfchip;3986071

Evening ches :)After 2 weeks it doubles to a maximum of £122.57p - which … Evening ches :)After 2 weeks it doubles to a maximum of £122.57p - which is more acceptable, but apparently it's very rare if your asked to stay on longer than the 2 weeks.I can't do any work either, as the majority of my customers require at least a weeks notice.

kcphil;3986467

Hi this may be of some use to you, Financial lossAn allowance may be … Hi this may be of some use to you, Financial lossAn allowance may be claimed for an amount of loss or additional expense (other than travelling or subsistence) which you have incurred, subject to the maximum set out in the allowances sheet (PDF) . This is calculated on a daily basis, according to the period of time over which the earnings or benefits under the National Insurance Acts are lost or additional expense incurred. Above taken from ]HereHope this is of use to you.

Hiya Golfchip, There must be more than that available. This link that kcphil has provided suggests you can claim more, I've had a quick squizz through it. Get forms during your empty hours of waiting!!!

chesso;3986829

Hiya Golfchip, There must be more than that available. This link that … Hiya Golfchip, There must be more than that available. This link that kcphil has provided suggests you can claim more, I've had a quick squizz through it. Get forms during your empty hours of waiting!!!

nahh, hes right i got form in front of me , up to 4 hrs and more than four hours, my form says you can claim £29.98 a Day for up to four hours and £59.96 for more than four hours, after 10 days it basically doubles, then more after 201 days lol

Original Poster

On my FAQ sheet it states:

[SIZE="4"]I'm self-employed, does that make a difference to what i can claim?[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]No. The items and allowance levels are the same for all jurors. However if you are self-employed, you will have to provide the court with some evidence of your loss of earnings. Where available, you may wish to consult your accountant on this.[/SIZE]

Many thanks kcphil for going out of your way.

Original Poster

intenso100;3987034

nahh, hes right i got form in front of me , up to 4 hrs and more than … nahh, hes right i got form in front of me , up to 4 hrs and more than four hours, my form says you can claim £29.98 a Day for up to four hours and £59.96 for more than four hours, after 10 days it basically doubles, then more after 201 days lol

Woohoo!! .....i get £1.32p a day more than you

.....:? how does that work?

golfchip;3987130

Woohoo!! .....i get £1.32p a day more than you :p.....:? how does that … Woohoo!! .....i get £1.32p a day more than you :p.....:? how does that work?

dunno but my form is a yr old, must be inflation, was meant to go in march last year, but they rang me and said i wasnt needed then and gave me 3 months to choose from when i wanted again.

So, something of a swizz if you're normally out earning but I'm thinking it would be a good move for me - a nice addition to the pension. :thinking:
    Truro is do-able!!:thumbsup: How do I get chosen?

I didn't know that about - Oh you're not needed this time we'll use you later, intenso. Well obviously I didn't know anything about being on a jury to begin with. What I mean is - I'm surprised, I thought it was along the lines of - we've stuck in the pin and got you for this time.

chesso;3987268

So, something of a swizz if you're normally out earning but I'm thinking … So, something of a swizz if you're normally out earning but I'm thinking it would be a good move for me - a nice addition to the pension. :thinking:Truro is do-able!!:thumbsup: How do I get chosen?I didn't know that about - Oh you're not needed this time we'll use you later, intenso. Well obviously I didn't know anything about being on a jury to begin with. What I mean is - I'm surprised, I thought it was along the lines of - we've stuck in the pin and got you for this time.

yer i thought it was strange, few weeks before i was due to start got a call, saying not needed for this date, and i was given a choice of 3 diff months, so, anyway a bit of time of work, all good

Original Poster

intenso100;3987153

dunno but my form is a yr old, must be inflation, was meant to go in … dunno but my form is a yr old, must be inflation, was meant to go in march last year, but they rang me and said i wasnt needed then and gave me 3 months to choose from when i wanted again.

And what may i ask are you planning to spend your new found fortune on?!?!? :lol:

golfchip;3987302

And what may i ask are you planning to spend your new found fortune … And what may i ask are you planning to spend your new found fortune on?!?!? :lol:

actually we in similar trades, but i sell it, you fit it, lol :thumbsup: so u earn a lot more than me! hows ur knees? !

Original Poster

intenso100;3987315

actually we in similar trades, but i sell it, you fit it, lol :thumbsup: … actually we in similar trades, but i sell it, you fit it, lol :thumbsup: so u earn a lot more than me! hows ur knees? !

I remember you saying a while back on one of C32's threads.

Hope you don't resent what your fitters earn? our salesmen our terrible for it!

My knees are fine, "snickers floorlayers trousers" :thumbsup:

golfchip;3987524

I remember you saying a while back on one of C32's threads.Hope you don't … I remember you saying a while back on one of C32's threads.Hope you don't resent what your fitters earn? our salesmen our terrible for it! :)My knees are fine, "snickers floorlayers trousers" :thumbsup:

no i dont resent, u guys work hard, our fitters are top guys they help with deliveries and all sorts, just hard pricing the fitting to customers and they moan about price, but end of day your a trade, so, they dont mind paying for electricians etc, what u on £2.50sq mt or so ? i work for allied carpets.

Original Poster

I tend to fit mainly vinyl (£3.50) for felt backed we get (£2.50) for hessian backed we get (£3.00 - we supply gripper) + an additional .60p per sq mtr for HSL's.

I work for a large independent company in Devon, they pay slightly better rates than Carpet Right so as to get the better fitters.

I know it's hard to price the jobs exactly, but at the end of the year it all evens itself out :thumbsup: ....."swings & roundabouts"

Our minimum charges are: £25 felt, £30 H/B & £35 vinyl - plus we get extras for uplifts & moving furniture etc.

golfchip;3987693

I tend to fit mainly vinyl (£3.50) for felt backed we get (£2.50) for h … I tend to fit mainly vinyl (£3.50) for felt backed we get (£2.50) for hessian backed we get (£3.50 - we supply gripper) + an additional .60p per sq mtr for HSL's.I work for a large independent company in Devon, they pay slightly better rates than Carpet Right so as to get the better fitters.I know it's hard to price the jobs exactly, but at the end of the year it all evens itself out :thumbsup: ....."swings & roundabouts"

oh right we tend to have flat rate whenever its felt, hessian, ulay down etc same when i worked for an independent, agree on the roundabout quote

Original Poster

I wasn't quite quick enough with the edit: H/B £3.00.

I'm just starting to discover one of the main advantages of doing "Jury service" i can drink "Magners" into the early hours without having to worry about the hangover! :-D

Original Poster

Turned up at 10:15 was then informed at 11:00 that i wouldn't be required again!

"Jury Service" - not something that I'd want to go through again.:lazy:

Best see if i can bring some work forward! :x
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?910
      2. Important info for Ryanair customers1927
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767277
      4. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1526

See more discussions