Expired

im only going to be working 20hrs a week so will i be entitled to claim any benifits?

Found 11th Aug 2011
hi im moving from southampton to surrey and have managed to get a transfer with my job however they only have room for me to do 20hrs a week. Someone mentioned that id be entitled to some help is this true? thanx for any help in advance
Community Updates
78 Comments
I think you have to be working less than 16 hours to be entitled to benefits, check on the directgov site
No, nothing.

you expect to be able to work 20hrs and get benefits? it would almost defeat the object of full time work.

I work 17hrs and no benefits....I just dont pay tax...or not alot anyway
I think you may be entitled to a small amount of housing benefit and council tax benefit, provided you are on your own...one of my friends got her hours cut and was able to claim hb but i'm not sure how much. Also if you are over 25/26 (can't remember) you'd probably be entitled to Working Tax Credits.
have you got kids? if not then no.
Does your company offer compensation for the reduction in hours. Long shot, but some do.
girl thats just started at my work said she is entitled to help and she works 30 hours a week? once ive moved up there ill look for another job for full time hours but will just have to cope for a few months then
RosieWoo

I think you may be entitled to a small amount of housing benefit and … I think you may be entitled to a small amount of housing benefit and council tax benefit, provided you are on your own...one of my friends got her hours cut and was able to claim hb but i'm not sure how much. Also if you are over 25/26 (can't remember) you'd probably be entitled to Working Tax Credits.

yeah thats what this women said she gets working tax credits
sbeard1

Does your company offer compensation for the reduction in hours. Long … Does your company offer compensation for the reduction in hours. Long shot, but some do.

no cause its my choice to move but the shop im going to already has staff all they need is part timer 20hrs so i took it better then nothin, ill just look for a different job once im up there need a change anyway lol
deleted265520
Spend the other 20 hours picking up pennies from the street you lazy monster.
dtovey89

Spend the other 20 hours picking up pennies from the street you lazy … Spend the other 20 hours picking up pennies from the street you lazy monster.

He's still working brah, can't argue with that.
deleted265520
DragonChris

He's still working brah, can't argue with that.

I work 24 hours a week and am doing a full time degree. What benefits am I entitled to?
Get behind a store till you ......!
dtovey89

I work 24 hours a week and am doing a full time degree. What benefits am … I work 24 hours a week and am doing a full time degree. What benefits am I entitled to?

The benefit of being a decent person contributing to your society - it pays off in a myriad of ways over time, trust me.

Edited by: "JonnyTwoToes" 11th Aug 2011
deleted265520
JonnyTwoToes

The benefit of being a decent person contributing to your society - it … The benefit of being a decent person contributing to your society - it pays off in a myriad of ways over time, trust me.

I've happily paid taxes since a month turning 16. In my summers off Uni I've always upped my working hours to full time and paid the higher tax.

I don't mean to sound snobby but too many people are far too quick to put their hands out and expect something for doing nothing. Oh - you have 5 children but can't afford to pay for a house? Why the **** did you have 5 children for then you idiot?

The only real people that should get some form of benefit aid is people who have children with severe disabilities.

Some people have no pride and I really wouldn't care if they were purged from society, i.e. all the recent rioters.
Edited by: "deleted265520" 11th Aug 2011
^^ Well said sir!
whatsThePoint

I'm sure i've seen your avatar before somewhere

u crazy guy
DangerGod

No, nothing.you expect to be able to work 20hrs and get benefits? it … No, nothing.you expect to be able to work 20hrs and get benefits? it would almost defeat the object of full time work.

stephchapman1980

really? I know single people working 30+ hours, no kids getting working tax credit, and others working less getting WTC and a small amount of housing and council tax benefit.
How come the OP won't?
deleted265520
DangerGod

No, nothing.you expect to be able to work 20hrs and get benefits? it … No, nothing.you expect to be able to work 20hrs and get benefits? it would almost defeat the object of full time work.

stephchapman1980

You have to question the mentality of those who claim these phoney benefits.

Scum.
dtovey89

You have to question the mentality of those who claim these phoney … You have to question the mentality of those who claim these phoney benefits.Scum.

huh, don't get that, how are they phony benefits?
colinsunderland

really? I know single people working 30+ hours, no kids getting working … really? I know single people working 30+ hours, no kids getting working tax credit, and others working less getting WTC and a small amount of housing and council tax benefit.How come the OP won't?

well in that case,why don't you advise her on what she needs to do, Colin.
entitledto.com is usually spot on for me
isn't it how much you earn not how many hours you work
DangerGod

well in that case,why don't you advise her on what she needs to do, Colin.

because I don't know, I don't claim any benefits, but I do know people who are single working full and part time who are claiming benefits so it goes against what you said, I was asking why they can't when I know people who do?
deleted265520
colinsunderland

huh, don't get that, how are they phony benefits?

Phoney in the sense that they are not deserved.

Why does a single person with no children deserve any form of benefits?

Unless the parents needs a substantial amount of money to aid a severely disabled child (i.e. for equipment, medicine, aid, etc) then no one should be entitled to benefits (pensions are okay though as they are earned and then some).

Society is full of wasters who are clever enough to milk the loopholes but claim they cannot find work. Complete and utter scum.
housing council tax benefit
deleted265520
jazferbetay

housing council tax benefit

They should replace council houses with work camps for those who refuse to get a job or contribute to society in some way.

inb4 the Nazi State comments...
dtovey89

Phoney in the sense that they are not deserved.Why does a single person … Phoney in the sense that they are not deserved.Why does a single person with no children deserve any form of benefits?Unless the parents needs a substantial amount of money to aid a severely disabled child (i.e. for equipment, medicine, aid, etc) then no one should be entitled to benefits (pensions are okay though as they are earned and then some).Society is full of wasters who are clever enough to milk the loopholes but claim they cannot find work. Complete and utter scum.

Does the benefit name Working Tax Credit not suggest that you might have to be working to claim it?

What about someone who can only find part time work, say 20 hours @ £6 an hour, how do you think they should live without any help from benefits?
I know round here you would be lucky to find a flat for much less than £100 a week, so not sure how you would expect someone to pay rent when they get £120 a week gross wages.
deleted265520
colinsunderland

Does the benefit name Working Tax Credit not suggest that you might have … Does the benefit name Working Tax Credit not suggest that you might have to be working to claim it?What about someone who can only find part time work, say 20 hours @ £6 an hour, how do you think they should live without any help from benefits?

The question is why are the only finding part time work now? Surely someone who is living on their own and dependent on themselves wouldn't just be strolling into a part time job? Yet again its the mentality of wanting something (a house and/or a baby) without being able to afford it and then whinging to the government when it doesn't go right. This mentality needs to be eradicated

I work 24 hours a week at around £6.50 p/h (time and a half on a Sunday mind you) and have to pay car insurance, petrol costs, rent (to parents), food costs, etc.

I wouldn't even contemplate claiming any benefits if I was entitled to some. I'm not becoming a drain on society and definitely don't feel like I'm owed something. You make your own way in life.
deleted265520
I'm going to bed now. Is there any benefits I can claim before I turn the light off? What about brushing my teeth? Surely there is something I can claim for. What about a creaky floor board?
yeah but i get reduction housing and council tax and i only work 16 hrs but i have a child tho
dtovey89

The question is why are the only finding part time work now? Surely … The question is why are the only finding part time work now? Surely someone who is living on their own and dependent on themselves wouldn't just be strolling into a part time job? Yet again its the mentality of wanting something (a house and/or a baby) without being able to afford it and then whinging to the government when it doesn't go right. This mentality needs to be eradicatedI work 24 hours a week at around £6.50 p/h (time and a half on a Sunday mind you) and have to pay car insurance, petrol costs, rent (to parents), food costs, etc.I wouldn't even contemplate claiming any benefits if I was entitled to some. I'm not becoming a drain on society and definitely don't feel like I'm owed something. You make your own way in life.

I agree to a certain extent, but not everyone has the luxury of being able to live with parents and pay a token rent (unless you are paying them £100+ a week, then I apologise).
A real example, a couple I knew, he worked for Nissan, she worked for Woolworths, both had the jobs for about 6 years, married, bought a house and had a child. Woolworths went bust, she lost job, Nissan laid off 1200 workers, he lost job, both struggled to get work, she got a part time job in another shop after about 6 months, it took him about 9 months to get a min wage 30 hour job. What do you expect them to do, just move back in with parents as through no fault of their own, their income dropped to less than half what it was?

You really don't have any idea of how the world works. Try paying your parents £100 a week rent from your wages, plus say 80% of the electric and gas bills (as they aren't much different for one or 5 people), plus the full sky/telephone/broadband bills, say 50% of the food bill, full water bill, full council tax bill etc, see how much you have left to run your car then.

dtovey89

The question is why are the only finding part time work now? Surely … The question is why are the only finding part time work now? Surely someone who is living on their own and dependent on themselves wouldn't just be strolling into a part time job? Yet again its the mentality of wanting something (a house and/or a baby) without being able to afford it and then whinging to the government when it doesn't go right. This mentality needs to be eradicatedI work 24 hours a week at around £6.50 p/h (time and a half on a Sunday mind you) and have to pay car insurance, petrol costs, rent (to parents), food costs, etc.I wouldn't even contemplate claiming any benefits if I was entitled to some. I'm not becoming a drain on society and definitely don't feel like I'm owed something. You make your own way in life.

LOL - "rent" to parents. Come back when you pay "big bad real world" bills little boy.

I work full time, my wife is a stay at home mum to our three children. We claim child tax credits and I am NOT ashamed of it. They top up my earnings and help tremendously. As someone who has substantially paid INTO the system over the years why the hell shouldn't I get something back to help me when I need it?

My wife also worked full time until 2 years ago and she will again once the kids are in school.

I wish I only had to pay "keep" to my parents and run a car ... life would be easy. You honestly are clueless.
^^^ In response, I have to agree with:

"Yet again its the mentality of wanting something (a house and/or a baby) without being able to afford it and then whinging to the government when it doesn't go right. This mentality needs to be eradicated"

I'm 36 and we are expecting our first in 2 months time. Simply because I wanted to make things 'comfortable' before making such an important decision.
Edited by: "JonnyTwoToes" 12th Aug 2011
JonnyTwoToes

^^^ I have to agree with:"Yet again its the mentality of wanting … ^^^ I have to agree with:"Yet again its the mentality of wanting something (a house and/or a baby) without being able to afford it and then whinging to the government when it doesn't go right. This mentality needs to be eradicated"I'm 36 and we are expecting our first in 2 months time. Simply because I wanted to make things 'comfortable' before making such an important decision.

and what happens if your business fails and you are out of work?
I completely agree that benefits shouldn't be so easy to get, but don't see the problem if someone is trying, and is prepared to take a low paid job why they shouldn't get some help if needed, rather than just sit there watching jezza kyle everyday, popping out kids and getting everything paid for them.
I can second entitledto, it's very comprehensive and will tell if you are entitled to council tax or/and housing benefit, if you are single you may get a reduction on your council tax, just make sure it's applied.

What I would do is inform the HMRC of a change in circumstances, in your case, reduced hours and then when you receive your amended tax credit notice, telephone your local council or pop down to the council office with this and your wage slip etc and tell them you think you are entitled to council tax benefit and housing benefit. It shouldn't take long to sort out, around a week for the amended tax credit notice and if you go in person the council tax/housing benefit claim should be made the same day.

Good luck!
colinsunderland

and what happens if your business fails and you are out of work?

Impossible. I've worked 9-5, freelance, self employed and now business owner (for 6 years). I am 'lucky' enough to have a skill that I spent years homing. My worse case scenario (which I think everyone should be able to establish) is to go back to freelance and still earn a very comfortable living.
My working life isn't 'par chance', I made strict decisions years ago to make sure things would be 'OK'.

Edited by: "JonnyTwoToes" 12th Aug 2011
JonnyTwoToes

Impossible. I've worked 9-5, freelance, self employed and now business … Impossible. I've worked 9-5, freelance, self employed and now business owner (for 6 years). I am 'lucky' enough to have a skill that I spent years homing. My worse case scenario (which I think everyone should be able to establish) is to go back to freelance and still earn a very comfortable living.My working life isn't 'par chance', I made strict decisions years ago to make sure things would be 'OK'.

well done, but you are the exception rather than the rule, which I'm sure you can agree with?

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants