I'm starting up a 'Debating Club' with my school. Please could you suggest some interesting debate topics?

Hi all,
Starting up a Debating Club at the school I work at. Currently devising a weekly plan - age ranges 16-19.

Please could you suggest some interesting 'light hearted starter' debates to get them going and some more formal 'meaty' debates for the sessions.

We have covered the whole Brexit and Donald Trump debates already.

36 Comments

"Freedom of Speech, for and against" is a good one to help cement the importance of debate itself.

More light hearted, "Siri 4 Alexa, AI or Spy".

WHAM! or Duran Duran.......

immigration. public spending. house prices. living wage. 0 hr contracts. dog licencing. national service. anti social behaviour. mps spending. housing shortage. voting. insurance premiums. education ( bullying - sexting ) just a few things to get the ball rolling.

No you're not.

Jaffa cakes - biscuit or cake

The price of strawberries at Wimbledon.

Apple or android

Xbox or PlayStation

Xbox or PlayStation.

The word "Trolling" has taken on a completely different meaning over the last 2 or 3 years . It now has very serious meanings ,many vulnerable people have been driven to suicide by Trolling. Previously the word was used to describe someone online stating an opinion different from that held by the perceived majority in ones peer group - Particularly with those intellectually challenged the word Trolling is a throwaway statement . Discuss
Edited by: "rogparki" 6th Nov 2016

Should the plump, ugly one in Little Mix be allowed to stay in the group?

Pot noodle or a Greggs sausage roll?

That kind of thing?

Check out TED talks for inspiration

Is emotional intelligence EQ more important than IQ ?

Heres a 100 to start with
idebate.org/vie…tes
perhaps you could end up a mass debate they can be fun
Edited by: "archer1204" 6th Nov 2016

What is EQ

Stop you children age 10 and under playing violent games and watching movies they should not watch... I remember when gta5 came out I was in supermarket and a kid age 12 or under asked his dad can I have this game his father said ok..

Even youtube if you allow a kid to go on it its not suitable it has rude stuff

Sorry did not read it was for age 16 and up.. my mistake have debate about who trump and Clinton really are

Futurist. Are any of the ideas right?

Abortion, euthenasia, circumcision (male, female and genital mutilation) are hard hitting ones.

rogparki

The word "Trolling" has taken on a completely different meaning over the … The word "Trolling" has taken on a completely different meaning over the last 2 or 3 years . It now has very serious meanings ,many vulnerable people have been driven to suicide by Trolling. Previously the word was used to describe someone online stating an opinion different from that held by the perceived majority in ones peer group - Particularly with those intellectually challenged the word Trolling is a throwaway statement . Discuss

​Are you still banging on about that? Or are you just, you know.....

kids will love that..."is school actually teaching you anything useful"

First of all, decide who is going to be the "Master Debater".

How to create a fair tax system

Beebee18

​Didnt quite work, that, did it?

freedom of speech versus religious belief

Beebee18

The effect of social media on today's youth. I

Wagon Wheels, have they got smaller or have we got bigger

merry

That one has already been proven in court.

Brexit.
DC or Marvel.
Xbox or Playstation.
To be or not to be.
Evolution.
Religion.
Stickers.

If enough people turn up it'll become a mass debate

You could debate when the 'mass debate' puns will end.

People can't resist taking 'debate'.

aleemiqbal3152

Stop you children age 10 and under playing violent games and watching … Stop you children age 10 and under playing violent games and watching movies they should not watch... I remember when gta5 came out I was in supermarket and a kid age 12 or under asked his dad can I have this game his father said ok..

You've asked and answered your own question, it's down to the parents to stop the kids getting the games. There is an age rating which stops the sales to minors. The fault begins and ends with the parents.

Should the NHS continue to be free. Should there be incentives for people to take out private medical insurance to take the strain off the NHS

Blur or oasis

merry

Easy it a cake, cos it says cake.lol Also the big give away... cakes go hard when stale, biscuits go soft when stale, jaffa cakes go hard so must be a cake..

Edited by: "cornishscouse" 7th Nov 2016

How about the americanisms this country are adopting,
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want some backless loafers for men66
    2. Any good robotic lawn mower someone could recommend?22
    3. Parcel Hero weight adjustment610
    4. Looking for a deal on nowtv movies34

See more discussions