Groups
    EXPIRED

im, thinking of having surgery abroad for excess skin/ Hello. I am looking for advice: I've lost a massive amount of weight (13st) and require surgery to remove excess skin around various parts of my body. I've been declined by the NHS on two occasio

Hello. I am looking for advice: I've lost a massive amount of weight (13st) and require surgery to remove excess skin around various parts of my body. I've been declined by the NHS on two occasions so am resorting to paying myself. I've checked out the prices in the UK and they're quite high, and so I'm considering going abroad to get this done.

Does anyone have any recommendations or general advice on going about this? Any countries or clinics in particular which are reputable or did a good job or whatever else? I'm currently considering one in Cyprus called 'Cosmetic Surgery Cyprus' with a Dr Bugra.

Thank you,

Manpreet

17 Comments

unless you are going to the USA where they must do the most of those sort of things I think the answer as to be err.....no.

Cant help I'm afraid but well done on the weight loss.

Firstly congratulations on the weight loss it's a fantastic achievement.
    I understand it may be expensive to have the op in the UK but personally I do believe you get what you pay for. I have had surgery in the UK, although I could have had it cheaper abroad, just for the fact that if anything were to go wrong I haven't got far to go to have the issue rectified.
    Good luck for the future with whatever decision you do make

If something goes wrong in the UK you will have the option of NHS emergency treatment. If something goes wrong overseas you might be faced with a huge bill for any resulting medical care.

Just something to bear in mind.

Try poland not sure about the surgery your after but im friendly with alot of polish people and most fly home for dental treatment and to see the doctor because our health service is so bad

Banned

You may lose the excess skin, but you'll be left with pretty thick scars from the procedure. These may prove to be more unsightly to bear than the excess skin.

Also, I think the idea that you've set up a gofundme page very crass.

lg27

Firstly congratulations on the weight loss it's a fantastic achievement. … Firstly congratulations on the weight loss it's a fantastic achievement. I understand it may be expensive to have the op in the UK but personally I do believe you get what you pay for. I have had surgery in the UK, although I could have had it cheaper abroad, just for the fact that if anything were to go wrong I haven't got far to go to have the issue rectified. Good luck for the future with whatever decision you do make

Depends what country you are in really we seem to have this idea in this country that our health service is great but the reality is its a joke

I dont include our hard working nurses in this as they are brilliant and keep the health service alive but the the standard of surgeons and doctors in the uk is pathetic they havent got a clue

Think some people are being unnecessary harsh and judgemental

Davidben83

Think some people are being unnecessary harsh and judgemental

Nobodys been judgemental as far as i can see the op has been congragulated on weight loss and been given good advice

Congrats op, I can't recommend anywhere but hope you find somewhere reasonable and have the results you expect.

It's so wrong, they will spend thousands on gastric bypasses for patients to literally eat their way out of them but when someone is at a healthy weight albeit with excess skin the NHS do not want to know!!

gozneyeje

It's so wrong, they will spend thousands on gastric bypasses for patients … It's so wrong, they will spend thousands on gastric bypasses for patients to literally eat their way out of them but when someone is at a healthy weight albeit with excess skin the NHS do not want to know!!

Correct the nhs is a joke and its only getting worse. Ive seen the money they will waste trying to manage a condition rather than just admit they made a balls up of the original op they would rather cover it up. Its quite worrying to see the rubbish they will try to make you believe

Lot of work being done in Hungary at the moment around £2500 for what you require + living expenses.

markvirgo

Lot of work being done in Hungary at the moment around £2500 for what you … Lot of work being done in Hungary at the moment around £2500 for what you require + living expenses.

And you wont end up with c-diff, mrsa or ant rubber gloves left inside after they finish.

what diet was it ? Keto ?

its funny that pre op gastric bypass classes says exactly what will happen and why NHS does not cover plastic surgery....

gozneyeje

It's so wrong, they will spend thousands on gastric bypasses for patients … It's so wrong, they will spend thousands on gastric bypasses for patients to literally eat their way out of them but when someone is at a healthy weight albeit with excess skin the NHS do not want to know!!

gozneyeje

It's so wrong, they will spend thousands on gastric bypasses for … It's so wrong, they will spend thousands on gastric bypasses for patients to literally eat their way out of them but when someone is at a healthy weight albeit with excess skin the NHS do not want to know!!

and what condition that would be? should they just leave it and let the patient suffer and say "ohh sorry our fault you carry on?"
    Go to any countrywhere you pay for your own health care, I'm sure you will change your opinion about nhs as soon as the bill comes in
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
      2. Biscuit addiction1231
      3. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325
      4. Easyjet - book now or wait?813

See more discussions