Groups

I'm with Three but can I use my data allowance abroad?

I'm a Three customer and as I type I'm on hold waiting for a customer service rep to answer my call. I've been on hold for half an hour and I'm getting bored now so decided to come here for advice.

I'm off to France next week for 9 days. I've read you can use your data abroad but can't find anything about it on Three's website. Does anyone know the cheapest way to use data in France please?

20 Comments

Just search "3 feel at home" give you all the details, but you'll be able to use your phone in France as you do at home

Link is this - three.co.uk/fee…ome

On Pay Monthly, you'll need to be on one of our Advanced plans to benefit from the service - our Essential plans do not include Feel At Home. On Pay As You Go, you'll just need to convert your credit into an Add-on to benefit from Feel At Home.
    Edited by: "BeerDrinker" 9th Jun

I thought from the 15th of this month no matter what plan you're on you can use it in the EU with the new EU regs? is that not right?

Original Poster

BeerDrinker

Link is this - http://www.three.co.uk/feel-at-homeOn Pay Monthly, you'll … Link is this - http://www.three.co.uk/feel-at-homeOn Pay Monthly, you'll need to be on one of our Advanced plans to benefit from the service - our Essential plans do not include Feel At Home. On Pay As You Go, you'll just need to convert your credit into an Add-on to benefit from Feel At Home.

Thanks. I got through to a CS advisor and he said I can use the Feel at Home plan so I can use by data abroad, but your post has made me doubt this. I can't find online what my plan is called but I pay £10.99 a month and get 200 minutes and 2Gb of data.

Original Poster

m4rky2011

Just search "3 feel at home" give you all the details, but you'll be able … Just search "3 feel at home" give you all the details, but you'll be able to use your phone in France as you do at home

Thank you. I searched for Feel at Home and am still reading through all the details.

If you want confirmation, use the 3 app, click plan, and it will say in green "you can use your phone abroad at no extra cost"

I'm sure when you log in you can check if you have feel at home, as I did it the other day. If they've told you verbally then you should be covered as all calls are recorded.

Do they still make you do something online before you go though to activate the roaming... Sure I had to do it once but that was years ago.

Original Poster

m4rky2011

If you want confirmation, use the 3 app, click plan, and it will say in … If you want confirmation, use the 3 app, click plan, and it will say in green "you can use your phone abroad at no extra cost"

It doesn't say that on my app, but thanks for the tip. I'll keep playing about until I find something helpful on the app!

Original Poster

sixonenine

Do they still make you do something online before you go though to … Do they still make you do something online before you go though to activate the roaming... Sure I had to do it once but that was years ago.

I have no idea. The CS rep on the phone said he was sending me a text telling me how to activate it but when I got off the phone I looked at the test and it was just a link to install the app, FGS!

Original Poster

Caroline_1993

https://www.threemicrosites.co.uk/euregulation/nonessentialplan

That's not applicable to going to France, but thank you for the link.

squiff

That's not applicable to going to France, but thank you for the link.

​login to my 3 and on your account look for international settings to see if 'uk and abroad' is ticked if you can't get data abroad which has happened to a few people I know and me in cyprus I manually searched for networks and then joined which ever came up then tried the data etc... if that setting didnt work i tried the next available and so on

squiff

I'm off to France next week for 9 days. I've read you can use your data … I'm off to France next week for 9 days. I've read you can use your data abroad but can't find anything about it on Three's website. Does anyone know the cheapest way to use data in France please?

squiff

I got through to a CS advisor and he said I can use the Feel at Home plan … I got through to a CS advisor and he said I can use the Feel at Home plan so I can use by data abroad, but your post has made me doubt this.

Disconnect from any wifi so that you are using 3 cellular data. Open any browser that has a direct connection to internet (no VPN; no proxies). Enter (or click) three.co.uk/New…ary or navigate to the Bill_Summary page to see what your plan is.
    If it's an advanced plan, you can use your data in France as if you were in UK.

Just need to go to your 3 account and turn on the setting for international roaming

Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone for your replies. I think I've turned on international data roaming but I'm not sure. They sure as heck don't make this straight forward! I guess I'll find out when I get to France (or when it comes to billing, when I get back!)

You can use it in France but they throttle the speed so much that you may as well not bother. Conversely, my EE sim was working with no detectable throttling. Three push their 'feel at home' but from a data perspective, it is not like being in the UK! If you need data to do anything productive you may want to look at an alternative to your 3 sim.

15th of June all UK networks can be used (voice, text and data) within the EU at no extra cost, this is called "roam like home".

Your service should not be throttled and you should be able to use all services like you are at home.
    Feel at home is a different service offered on some three contracts, it allows roaming in the EU plus other select countries.

metro.co.uk/201…08/
    Edited by: "Paddy_o_furniture" 9th Jun
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Virgin Media TV56
      2. Do you use a case on your iPhone?33
      3. Tooth extraction99
      4. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?611

See more discussions