iMac 20 HD Smart Error help

Found 1st Nov 2017
My old iMac was running really slow so I decided to erase the HD, now I can't reinstall an OS because I get the error message: this disk has S.M.A.R.T errors, it can't be repaired because of a hardware problem.

I'd rather just get rid of it than repair it in its old age,is this safe to donate to someone? Will I have erased the HD anyway? Just there was a lot of photos and data I'd rather was deleted before someone else gets their hands on it.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
6 Comments
Which year, model# or Serial# iMac is it please?

The Mac OS installer should come with a program called Disk Utility that has an in-build secure erase function.
Unfortunately the success of the secure erase process will depend on the exact fault with the hard drive, so if the erase fails you may still have to remove hard drive to guarantee that the data will not be read out later.

Please watch the video from 1:46min onwards
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 1st Nov 2017
Original Poster
SUMMONER4 h, 52 m ago

Which year, model# or Serial# iMac is it please?The Mac OS installer …Which year, model# or Serial# iMac is it please?The Mac OS installer should come with a program called Disk Utility that has an in-build secure erase function.Unfortunately the success of the secure erase process will depend on the exact fault with the hard drive, so if the erase fails you may still have to remove hard drive to guarantee that the data will not be read out later.Please watch the video from 1:46min onwards[Video]

MB323LL/A

I think it's 2008
Edited by: "icecreamwoman" 1st Nov 2017
the hdd is a goner, can you not just remove it before passing the system on then you can put a hammer through it yourself
Original Poster
maddogb6 m ago

the hdd is a goner, can you not just remove it before passing the system …the hdd is a goner, can you not just remove it before passing the system on then you can put a hammer through it yourself

It's probably what I'll do to keep on the safe side
Try the Disk Utility method, may be it completes or may be it will just hang/crash or make odd clonking/grinding noises for 24hours - there is absolutely no way of knowing until one has tried it.

See below a video with the steps needed for removing the hard drive from a 2008 iMac.

replacing the hard drive using proper tools

taking the front off with some sticky tape

taking the front off with a plastic card/tool
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 1st Nov 2017
Original Poster
SUMMONER1 h, 40 m ago

Try the Disk Utility method, may be it completes or may be it will just …Try the Disk Utility method, may be it completes or may be it will just hang/crash or make odd clonking/grinding noises for 24hours - there is absolutely no way of knowing until one has tried it.See below a video with the steps needed for removing the hard drive from a 2008 iMac.replacing the hard drive using proper tools[Video] taking the front off with some sticky tape[Video] taking the front off with a plastic card/tool[Video]

Thanks so much, appreciate your help here
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions