Groups

Imac.. is this a good price for a used sample

Hello

My daughter wants to buy an Imac and has seen this for sale nearby. It will be used mainly for graphic design work as she uses a mac at work. Is it worth £500?

Late 2009
    OS Sierra
    Display 27"
    306 GHz Intel core duo
    16 GB 1067MHz DDR3
    Graphic - ATi Radeon HD 4670 256mb
    1 TB SATA disk
    Wireless mouse and Keyboard

Any advice on the above or pointers as to where she good get something better for the same price would be appreciated

13 Comments

Personally I would say no. You are paying £500 for technology which is coming up to 8 years old. You would be better off increasing your budget and buying something a lot newer. I believe Apple are currently offering 12 months interest free on purchases so it could be worth looking at that.

Also, take a look at the Apple Refurb store: apple.com/uk/…mac

£500 is a lot for some hair removal cream (which was my first thought when I saw imac used sample)

I have had two late 2009 iMacs and both suffered from a degraded yellowing of the screen after a year or so. I work in graphics and it was particularly off putting. I believe its a common issue with that particular monitor. I just had a play on the one i still have and it's god awful. Slow and freezing between clicks. I wouldn't touch it tbh.

Look into getting her a hackintosh as you get a lot more for your money

For graphic designing this will be woefully under spec, as will most Apple systems. To get one worth while it's going to cost a lot.

Much better to go with a Windows PC. Will be cheaper and higher spec. Somebody mentioned Hackintosh which would be the best of both worlds as she would have the familiarity as well as it being better spec and cheaper.

Much better to get a windows device. for that money you could actually get something functional and good. Ridiculous that there are people paying that sort of money for outdated ****.

vardx

Much better to get a windows device..

or a toaster maybe...or a Lawnmower....

OP says his Daughter specifically wants to buy an iMac...... yeah the posted example was a bad one but sometimes people genuinely have a need for an Apple computer, If she uses a Mac for graphic design at work it make sa ot of sense to use a Mac for the same at home.

@OP...should be able to find a 2011/2012 21.5" i5 iMac for around £500-£600 if you shop around, usually plenty of good refurbished models on ebay.

Or as others have a said a normal PC can be converted to run MacOS, commonly called Hackintosh's they will give you a lot more performance for your money but can take a little more looking after than a genuine Mac in terms of updating etc...
    Edited by: "Uridium" 8th Mar

tommy6000009

For graphic designing this will be woefully under spec, as will most … For graphic designing this will be woefully under spec, as will most Apple systems.

I'm far from an Apple fanboy but that statement is not fact based whatsoever.

Firstly, we don't know how much and specifically what type of graphic design the user will be undertaking. Macs in my experience tend to handle this type of thing very well.

You simply cannot compare a PC to a Mac purely on specs. Yes, you'll get a higher specification Windows based PC for the equivalent money but that's only half the story.

ipswich78

I'm far from an Apple fanboy but that statement is not fact based … I'm far from an Apple fanboy but that statement is not fact based whatsoever.Firstly, we don't know how much and specifically what type of graphic design the user will be undertaking. Macs in my experience tend to handle this type of thing very well.You simply cannot compare a PC to a Mac purely on specs. Yes, you'll get a higher specification Windows based PC for the equivalent money but that's only half the story.

​what's the rest of the story? The function has been stated. I simply said that it's under spec for that function and most Apple computers for that price will be the same. Can you provide a link showing me an apple computer for £500 which will achieve the function specified?

An equivalent Windows PC would be maybe £60 for a Core 2 Duo base unit and another ~£150 for a similar quality monitor of the same age like a Dell U2711.

Ask your daughter if she'd rather spend £300 on Mac OS, or £300 on other graphic design tools like a drawing tablet and colourimeter.

Second hand Apple PCs are hugely overpriced and unless you're tied to Mac OS for some reason they're best avoided.

Mac is very popular with graphic designers. My son is selling his 2012 iMac. With upgrades it cost about £2500. Selling now on eBay for between £800 and £1000. You can't compare a Mac with a £50 Windows PC from the same era. It's not the same thing. It's like comparing a focus with a BMW or Mercedes. It's in a totally different league. I have a 2009 macbook pro running and Intel core duo. It will knock the socks off some of today's windows PC's for performance because Mac's don't have all the programmes running in the background, the ones you can't stop. Mac's don't clog up with registry garbage like windows PC's do. My Mac doesn't need periodic reload of ,the operating system. It doesn't need CC cleaner and other add on software to keep it working fast. Mac's just work and work and work continuously and all operating system upgrades are free. Windows is a pants operating system. Windows upgrades are an absolute pain. The best thing Microsoft could do is buy a Mac and see where they went wrong.

Edited by: "Smartguy1" 8th Mar

Smartguy1

Mac is very popular with graphic designers. My son is selling his 2012 … Mac is very popular with graphic designers. My son is selling his 2012 iMac. With upgrades it cost about £2500. Selling now on eBay for between £800 and £1000. You can't compare a Mac with a £50 Windows PC from the same era. It's not the same thing.

Yes it is. It's exactly the same processor, the same memory chips, the same hard drives.

Smartguy1

It will knock the socks off some of today's windows PC's for performance … It will knock the socks off some of today's windows PC's for performance because Mac's don't have all the programmes running in the background, the ones you can't stop.

That's complete nonsense, go and launch Activity Monitor on your mac you'll find that the operating system's functions are split into many processes just as they are on Windows.

Smartguy1

Mac's don't clog up with registry garbage like windows PC's do.

I guarantee you that if you look in /etc, /Library or other system folders you'll find exactly the same sort of leftover data from uninstalled programs.

Smartguy1

My Mac doesn't need periodic reload of ,the operating system. It doesn't … My Mac doesn't need periodic reload of ,the operating system. It doesn't need CC cleaner and other add on software to keep it working fast. Mac's just work and work and work continuously

It was an issue with older versions of Windows, XP and older, but modern versions have solved that problem - provided you don't tinker (such as by running stuff like CCleaner).

And with Windows 8 and 10 it's an easy job to run an automatic reinstall ('reset') even if the previous owner has messed it up.

Smartguy1

and all operating system upgrades are free.

Only since Mavericks. Apple's last Paid for OS version was released on July 25, 2012. Microsoft's last Windows version that wasn't offered free was released eight days later on August 1st, 2012.

Both offered free upgrades to the latest version for OS versions as old as 2009.

No it's not worth it at all - walk away. This should be about half that, and even then it's pushing it. Also, that's probably the last OS upgrade you'd be able to do for that computer.

Second hand Macs and MacBooks hold their value well though. I sold my mid 2011 iMac in 2015 for £400 after buying it for a grand new. I sold my similarly priced PC this time last year that was a year old for £450. Make of that what you will, but the extra you spend at the beginning means you'll get more back when it comes to sell as long as you've looked after it.

Plus they look cooler and the Windows people with big square ugly towers are all jealous
    Edited by: "Cakeboy79" 9th Mar
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Which Zelda Game?79
      2. random company selling fifa 18 for £29.9533
      3. Cinema 24122
      4. Recommend accurate weighing scales22

See more discussions