Imac ram

Found 21st Apr
HI,

I need to increase the memory on my mid 2010 27 inch imac.

According to the apple website I need 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM.

I currently have 2 lots of 2gb and have 4 slots available which can take a maximum of 16gb.

I could probably get away with only an extra 4 gb but I have no idea about whether it would be better to just add 1 extra 4gb or 2 lots of 2gb etc or even scrap the 2 I have and get 2 new 4gbs? If you see what I mean?

Could someone offer me any advice on this?

Many thanks in advanced for advice offered.
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Having added RAM to a couple of iMacs myself in the past, I strongly recommend going for the maximum 16GB (4x4GB). You won't regret it and, provided you use some good RAM, it should make a real differnce to your machine. I usually buy from Crucial at uk.crucial.com/gbr…ory because they guarantee the RAM will work for your machine.

HTH
If your that intent on keeping an 8 year old machine then you may as well max out the ram and stick 16gb in, while your in there I would also change your drive to an SSD too for maximum benefit.
Only max out to 16GB of RAM if you need it. If you don't then it's pointless. Maybe you only need 4GB RAM to go with your 2x2GB RAM. You can pick up another 2x2GB DDR3 RAM from CEX for as little as £4 click.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 21st Apr
Different capacities per channel can have quite a big effect on memory bandwidth so it's best practice to add them evenly - i.e. go for 2x2GB on each of the two channels instead of 1x2GB & 1x4GB on one and 1x2GB on the other.

4x2GB vs. 2x4GB and 2x4GB & 2x2GB vs. 4x4GB are generally much closer in performance.

Although you're not likely to be doing anything limited by memory bandwidth on PC with dual channel DDR3-1333 so the practical impacts are minimal.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 21st Apr
RiverDragon850 m ago

Only max out to 16GB of RAM if you need it. If you don't then it's …Only max out to 16GB of RAM if you need it. If you don't then it's pointless. Maybe you only need 4GB RAM to go with your 2x2GB RAM. You can pick up another 2x2GB DDR3 RAM from CEX for as little as £4 click.

Great thank you that looks perfect! I don't think I really need more on this machine its my wifes old machine and she has a new mac book pro. I only use it watching stuff and a slightly memory hungry teaching app although she will probably use photoshop on it at some point.

CEX seems to have 4GB for £10 which would still fit my budget will the extra 4 GB be noticeable?
Edited by: "Andyo123" 21st Apr
EndlessWaves10 m ago

Different capacities per channel can have quite a big effect on memory …Different capacities per channel can have quite a big effect on memory bandwidth so it's generally best practice to add them evenly - i.e. go for 2x2GB on each of the two channels instead of 1x2GB & 1x4GB on one and 1x2GB on the other.4x2GB vs. 2x4GB and 2x4GB & 2x2GB vs. 4x4GB are generally much closer in performance. Although you're not likely to be doing anything limited by memory bandwidth on PC with dual channel DDR3-1333 so the practical impacts are minimal.

That's really useful information! Many thanks.
I was under the impression that the 2010 iMac (before their mid 2010 refresh)despite being 64 bit in processor could only boot into 32 bit mode. Could be wrong but if this is the case it won’t read any more than a little less than 4 gig. Could you check the mode you are running, is it 64bit
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 21st Apr
Dannyrobbo10 h, 4 m ago

I was under the impression that the 2010 iMac (before their mid 2010 …I was under the impression that the 2010 iMac (before their mid 2010 refresh)despite being 64 bit in processor could only boot into 32 bit mode. Could be wrong but if this is the case it won’t read any more than a little less than 4 gig. Could you check the mode you are running, is it 64bit

I have a mid 2010 iMac 27 (that I am 'intent' on keeping going :rollseyes:) and it is most certainly a full 64bit machine, the 64bit capable, but 32bit efi knobbled machines were the previous generation Core Duo machines, I understand the Core 2 Duo onwards machines were 64/64
I also have a 2007 24" iMac which is 64bit CPU / 64bit efi
Edited by: "andymagic" 22nd Apr
Also buy a SSD to go with your 4GB RAM click.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 22nd Apr
RiverDragon841 m ago

Also buy a SSD to go with your 4GB RAM click.

Would this be easy to fit? The thought of opening up an imac fills me with horror.
Also I see someone mentioned "good memory" Is there a difference between brands/types?
Andyo12328 m ago

Also I see someone mentioned "good memory" Is there a difference between …Also I see someone mentioned "good memory" Is there a difference between brands/types?

No difference really for the RAM you need (cheaper the better but I do prefer Samsung or Hynix). Just buy any DDR3 1333MHz 204 pin SODIMM RAM. Skip the SSD for now. I've never fitted a SSD in an iMac before but following a simple video tutorial off Youtube should be simple enough.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 22nd Apr
RiverDragon815 m ago

No difference really for the RAM you need (cheaper the better but I do …No difference really for the RAM you need (cheaper the better but I do prefer Samsung or Hynix). Just buy any DDR3 1333MHz 204 pin SODIMM RAM. Skip the SSD for now. I've never fitted a SSD in an iMac before but following a simple video tutorial off Youtube should be simple enough.

Many thanks to you and all the other people who have given great advice! You have saved me a good few hours of my life!
Just wanted to let everyone know that I received my 2 times 4GB from CEX (£23) this morning. I installed it and the program I needed to get better performance from has gone from minimum to good status. Thank you everyone for your help especially RiverDragon8, I owe you a beer!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants