EXPIRED

IMEI number and mobile phone warranty

Need tome help from you wise folk please.

Looking to buy an HTC Desire HD on pay as you go and have been looking on ebay.
My worry is that if something goes wrong with the phone, where do i stand with a warranty?

I have been told by 2 different people that i can take it into a shop and they will check it using the IMEI number and this will prove it is still under warranty, and therefore fix it.

Is this the case?

Cheers

22 Comments

Wrong place to ask.

Warranties are normally not transferable so walking in to say a Vodafone / phones 4 u shop even if the phone is under warranty they will not entertain your repair. Apple on the other hand are totally different from experience as they have their own outlets which is unlike HTC

Original Poster

Sorry, wrong section. Please can someone move, thanks

they will ask for a receipt unless it is in your name then no repair, there is only a select few companies that go buy IMEI / Serial numbers Apple being one of them

Hot deal!!!

HTC offer a 2 year warranty. So you'd need to send it off to them for any fix.

If you use Ebay make sure the seller has lots of good feedback.
I'm fielding 2 to 3 calls a week from people who've bought phones off the 'bay and then had them blacklisted because either the seller has then reported it lost/stolen or the phones been obtained fraudulently. After 45 days you can no longer clam from paypal so you lose the lot!

Just bought 20 of these. Cheers OP oO

Some manufacturers, for example Nokia, Sony Ericsson etc have their own Service Centres or have agreement with other Service Centres, where you can take you phone for repair, even if you have no receipt as they simply look up the IMEI. An example would be Carphone Warehouse who have many Service Centres and they never ask for receipts (this is not the same as the CPW shops where they will ask for receipts as they send the phone away and have no access to the IMEI database).

Also, many manufacturers will simply carry out the repair if you send the phone to them, may a worth an e-mail or call to HTC. There was a time where Ericsson would collect your phone and have a repaired or a replacement to you within two days. Ahhh, Nostalgia.

steve1221

If you use Ebay make sure the seller has lots of good feedback. I'm … If you use Ebay make sure the seller has lots of good feedback. I'm fielding 2 to 3 calls a week from people who've bought phones off the 'bay and then had them blacklisted because either the seller has then reported it lost/stolen or the phones been obtained fraudulently. After 45 days you can no longer clam from paypal so you lose the lot!

Can you do anything beyond that period to recover your losses or is that money down the drain?

p5x

Can you do anything beyond that period to recover your losses or is that … Can you do anything beyond that period to recover your losses or is that money down the drain?

the only thing you can do is sell it on ebay again, but international only, as uk blocked phones will still work abroad. you will get what you paid back if not more. Although this is not really the right thing to do, you should hand it in to the police and report the seller to see what the police can do about it, but most of the time there is little they can do as the seller would have used fake details, the police will end up taking the phone and closing the case leaving you with a hole in you wallet and no phone.

Here are some Answers of your Questions :-
if something goes wrong with the phone, warranty will be ok because its from htc dirtect even you are on contract or pay as you go ,just need some proof .
The model just come out and it hold 1 Year Manufacturer warranty , so it will be still in warranty till next 10 to 12 Months .

My Question :
Are you still intrested in to buy an HTC Desire HD ?

Original Poster

Yes, i'm still looking for an HTC Desire HD

magough

Yes, i'm still looking for an HTC Desire HD

Ok . Just Recieved one Yesterday Have not open yet . Still Sealed In Box .
If you want can send you pics.
Offer me good price .

Original Poster

Does it have warranty.
Do you have a receipt?
Is it unlocked?
I think you might have to put it up for sale on here tho

magough

Does it have warranty.Do you have a receipt?Is it unlocked?I think you … Does it have warranty.Do you have a receipt?Is it unlocked?I think you might have to put it up for sale on here tho

Yes it in my Contract i have that papers .
Haven't broke the seal yet so not sure about unlocked , but can get it unlocked without any problem .
I am not sure about price , if you can give me any idea i can put this on sale here .

Original Poster

Yes, would like it unlocked.
What contract you on?
I can offer £350

I am on 24 Months . Already got the phone so thats why not need it .
was looking about 400+ with unlocked and not been used .
I better put it on here as you said .

Original Poster

Let me know if you do

magough

Let me know if you do

Ok , I am waiting for unlocking code .
Which network are you on ?

Original Poster

I'm on O2

magough

I'm on O2

Its on Tmobile atm

cooleyes

Ok . Just Recieved one Yesterday Have not open yet . Still Sealed In Box … Ok . Just Recieved one Yesterday Have not open yet . Still Sealed In Box .If you want can send you pics.Offer me good price .

I will offer you £360 for it
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Avoiding Car hire excess (Tenerife)12
    2. Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI (petrol) vs Rio 1.4 CRDI (diesel)713
    3. How much would you pay for this chair?1923
    4. Problem with new double glazed installation99

See more discussions