IMEI Number does not match mobile model

Found 10th Jun 2016
Hi
Just brought a Note 4 from a power seller from eBay described as used but as close as new as possible with 12 month warranty. The mobile is in new condition however when I did a check on imeidata.net it shows that the model is the Note Edge not Note 4 which is the model that I have.
I have checked under the battery and through menu and same IMEI number.

I have emailed to ask the seller what's going on and am awaiting reply. Anyone have an idea if this is fishy?
Community Updates
AskMobilesMobile Phone
20 Comments
Seem so .There's an app called Phone.info on google.play which will give you more info i.e. when the the device was produced & wot variant .
Original Poster
waynersheridan

Seem so .There's an app called Phone.info on google.play which will give … Seem so .There's an app called Phone.info on google.play which will give you more info i.e. when the the device was produced & wot variant .

Hi
Thanks for the advice. It has been rooted and originates from US. I'll ask for a return as it's been tampered with
wadz

HiThanks for the advice. It has been rooted and originates from US. I'll … HiThanks for the advice. It has been rooted and originates from US. I'll ask for a return as it's been tampered with

Probably just had a new rom flashed and was an edge rom or something.. Would that affect the imei? The phone is about 2 years old so if was a good buy and good condition why not keep it?
Original Poster
t3rm3y

Probably just had a new rom flashed and was an edge rom or something.. … Probably just had a new rom flashed and was an edge rom or something.. Would that affect the imei? The phone is about 2 years old so if was a good buy and good condition why not keep it?

Got it for £200 with 12 month warranty, so yes it is a good buy. I already have a Note 4 just wanted the warranty. Let's see what the sellet says
waynersheridan

Seem so .There's an app called Phone.info on google.play which will give … Seem so .There's an app called Phone.info on google.play which will give you more info i.e. when the the device was produced & wot variant .

Is this the app?
play.google.com/sto…=en
raj75

Is this the … Is this the app?https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phoneinfo.free&hl=en

No, it's This one but only for Samsungs.
Edited by: "Taliban_Army" 10th Jun 2016
No, it's This one but only for Samsungs.
[/quote]

I used this App with my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and it gave pretty accurate information.
t3rm3y

Probably just had a new rom flashed and was an edge rom or something.. … Probably just had a new rom flashed and was an edge rom or something.. Would that affect the imei? The phone is about 2 years old so if was a good buy and good condition why not keep it?

Never.
It could have had a new motherboard fitted? I 'think' the imei is on a chip on that? (can someone correct me if that's wrong).
Changing the imei is illegal in the UK, but if the phones from the US I'm not sure of the law there. . .
A new motherboard would change the IMEI that's for sure so it's entirely possible the motherboard has been replaced previously so the phone is probably refurbished
Have you checked the IMEI on a different site? I cant remember if it was the Note 3 or Note 4 but, which ever one it was, I had bought it brand new from Carphone Warehouse when it was released. When I came to sell it, someone asked for the IMEI so they could make sure it wasnt blocked etc. Ended up emailing me back telling me the IMEI came back as a different phone so they were just gonna leave it.

I ended up having a little look around and must have found the site they'd used because sure enough, it told me the IMEI was for a different phone. Tried my partners phone and that came back correct. But, knew mine was was a 100% genuine Note phone.
Tried it the IMEI on a few other sites and got two to confirm it was a Note 3/4 (whatever it was) and did sell it to the person who asked about it in the end as I could prove it was a genuine phone.
Checking IMEI on different sites wot help as Samsung don't hand out that info .Buyer has to decide if they want to keep ,if there is any problems dealing with Samsung service centre will be a mare !
i.e. my N9005 had the sticker under the Battery wasn't **** perfect "stuck @ a slight angle " .They tried to imply it was a chinese fake
waynersheridan

Checking IMEI on different sites wot help as Samsung don't hand out that … Checking IMEI on different sites wot help as Samsung don't hand out that info .Buyer has to decide if they want to keep ,if there is any problems dealing with Samsung service centre will be a mare ! i.e. my N9005 had the sticker under the Battery wasn't **** perfect "stuck @ a slight angle " .They tried to imply it was a chinese fake

No, what I meant was, if the OP had only checked the IMEI on one site, the site could be incorrect. Hence asking if the OP had tried entering the imei on a different site. Because like I say, a potential buyer of one of my phones told me (and I confirmed) that one particular site, the first in Google search results at the time actually had the incorrect information regarding my phone IMEI. However the third site on the results page of Google, got the info 100% spot on and was correct. And similarly if Id paid for a Checkmend report, £1.99 it would have told me the accurate and correct information.
My point was, don't trust random free imei checking sites, as they could be wrong.
Yeah fair enough
Original Poster
Hi all
Yes I had checked the IMEI number on a number of sites.
The seller confirmed that the mobile was refurbished and offered to refund if I send it back.
So went was the out come ?
Original Poster
waynersheridan

So went was the out come ?

It turned out to be a refurbished handset. I decided to sell it on even though it came with 12 month warranty
thats wot I would have done ! "get rid off straight away "
Original Poster
waynersheridan

thats wot I would have done ! "get rid off straight away "

Great minds think alike
wadz

It turned out to be a refurbished handset. I decided to sell it on even … It turned out to be a refurbished handset. I decided to sell it on even though it came with 12 month warranty

why did you do that when the seller offered a refund, better hope your buyer doesn't do the same.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants