Impact on Pandemic with H2 Mobile Phones

Posted 5th Aug 2020
Usually the second half of the year brings some coveted mobile phone releases, however the second half of 2020 has seen some some barely passable phones released... Case in point:

IPhone se2 - battery life of a squashed banana
OP Nord - Chocolate fireguard of a camera
Pixel 4a - Processor similar to my zx spectrum
Note 20 - last person to pay that much for plastic was Katie Price

Do we think the OEMs have been impacted by the pandemic hence the shoddy offerings are are they just having us over?

Genuine question
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Personally I think they've just hit a plateau again. But on the other hand lets compare the Pixel versions and be realistic.

4A vs 3A
Slightly bigger screen
Adds Gorillia glass 3
1080x2340 vs 1080x2220
HDR
Snapdragon 730 vs 670
Camera f/1.7, 27mm (wide) vs f/1.8, 28mm
Camera Auto HDR
Video - gyro-EIS.
WLAN - DLNA support
Bluetooth 5.1 vs 5.0
GPS - adds QZSS support
USB 3.1 vs 2.0
Battery 3140 vs 3000.

Drops Audio - aptX HD

Prices at launch.
3A £399
4A £349

So in comparsion to what it is replacing, £50 cheaper, better specs. Built to a price point which is the aimed market.

Now the Note 20's on the other hand
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 5th Aug
cecilmcroberts05/08/2020 21:20

Personally I think they've just hit a plateau again. But on the other hand …Personally I think they've just hit a plateau again. But on the other hand lets compare the Pixel versions and be realistic. 4A vs 3ASlightly bigger screenAdds Gorillia glass 31080x2340 vs 1080x2220 HDRSnapdragon 730 vs 670Camera f/1.7, 27mm (wide) vs f/1.8, 28mmCamera Auto HDR Video - gyro-EIS. WLAN - DLNA supportBluetooth 5.1 vs 5.0GPS - adds QZSS support USB 3.1 vs 2.0Battery 3140 vs 3000. Drops Audio - aptX HDPrices at launch. 3A £3994A £349So in comparsion to what it is replacing, £50 cheaper, better specs. Built to a price point which is the aimed market.Now the Note 20's on the other hand

Some good points well made.

I agree witb the plateau remark, but Samsung, come on - a plastic handset with a renowned iffy processor type again for that money is taking the Michael, no?
BT197805/08/2020 21:23

Some good points well made.I agree witb the plateau remark, but Samsung, …Some good points well made.I agree witb the plateau remark, but Samsung, come on - a plastic handset with a renowned iffy processor type again for that money is taking the Michael, no?

If it brings down the price of the Note 10 Series I'll be happy to skip that terrible 20 and await for a 30.
cecilmcroberts05/08/2020 21:25

If it brings down the price of the Note 10 Series I'll be happy to skip …If it brings down the price of the Note 10 Series I'll be happy to skip that terrible 20 and await for a 30.

The ten series waant great tbh, I do see the logic though.
BT197805/08/2020 21:26

The ten series waant great tbh, I do see the logic though.

They just made too many versions of it with confusing specs between them all. As an example I wouldn't be expecting an S10 to be 1440x3040, 550ppi and a Note 10 to be 1080x2280, 401ppi. I'm coming from an S8+ and found it really hard to find anything to make me want to change, only a Note 10+ or higher I would go for at the right price point.
cecilmcroberts05/08/2020 21:33

They just made too many versions of it with confusing specs between them …They just made too many versions of it with confusing specs between them all. As an example I wouldn't be expecting an S10 to be 1440x3040, 550ppi and a Note 10 to be 1080x2280, 401ppi. I'm coming from an S8+ and found it really hard to find anything to make me want to change, only a Note 10+ or higher I would go for at the right price point.

What aboit battery life dude. Last iteration of Samsung flagships were all diabolical
Your description of iPhone se2 made me lol and your spot on
_Tris_05/08/2020 21:40

Your description of iPhone se2 made me lol and your spot on

Ha ha thanks.

A combination of all of those phones... Now that would be something....
BT197805/08/2020 21:42

Ha ha thanks.A combination of all of those phones... Now that would be …Ha ha thanks.A combination of all of those phones... Now that would be something....

Hell yeah xD
BT197805/08/2020 21:36

What aboit battery life dude. Last iteration of Samsung flagships were all …What aboit battery life dude. Last iteration of Samsung flagships were all diabolical

To be very honest, it all depends far too much these days on what people are doing with own devices. Sync'ing mail every 5 minutes, social media accounts polling for messages, number of alerts, GPS authority on apps,use of GPS apps, power modes devices placed into, bluetooth/wifi always searching,always on displays, moving backgrounds. Too many user defined variables these days which at times makes you understand why some lockdown OS so much, to take away these variables. Each new device comes with more variables for a user to define giving lesser battery thoughts. Personally any device I've had in the past 10 years has always needed to be charged once per day with my own usage or if I have heavy useage with Type C now it only takes a 15 min topup.

One simple variable I always laugh at with Samsung devices. Most people will say how good the screen are on the devices, it's also a selling point. Pop into settings the default is not the highest quality of WQHD+ and alot of people have not even changed it to that.

Just thought I would add. I'm not a Samsung Fanboy! This was actually my first Samsung in about 20 years, normally had a Google device.
cecilmcroberts05/08/2020 21:46

To be very honest, it all depends far too much these days on what people …To be very honest, it all depends far too much these days on what people are doing with own devices. Sync'ing mail every 5 minutes, social media accounts polling for messages, number of alerts, GPS authority on apps,use of GPS apps, power modes devices placed into, bluetooth/wifi always searching,always on displays, moving backgrounds. Too many user defined variables these days which at times makes you understand why some lockdown OS so much, to take away these variables. Each new device comes with more variables for a user to define giving lesser battery thoughts. Personally any device I've had in the past 10 years has always needed to be charged once per day with my own usage or if I have heavy useage with Type C now it only takes a 15 min topup. One simple variable I always laugh at with Samsung devices. Most people will say how good the screen are on the devices, it's also a selling point. Pop into settings the default is not the highest quality of WQHD+ and alot of people have not even changed it to that.Just thought I would add. I'm not a Samsung Fanboy! This was actually my first Samsung in about 20 years, normally had a Google device.

Anything less than 5 hours SOT is poor for a battery of that size I reckon!
BT197805/08/2020 21:56

Anything less than 5 hours SOT is poor for a battery of that size I reckon!

I had a brand new out of the box S10 on Sunday (after charging to 100%), while watching the F1 race, setting up the device, transferring all data from a P20 Pro to the S10, 1 OS update and 2 secuirty updates, it dropped 15%. Then played with all the settings, into a Samsung LED case (the one that has the like stars and emoji's on the back), demo'd functions, all in all around 5 hours, had only dropped to 50%.

41592944-8iBoR.jpg

Left to right S10|S9|S8
41592944-7Q0AP.jpg

Left to right S10+|S9+|S8+
41592944-rQxao.jpg

Left to right Note 10|Note 9|Note 8
41592944-KYswa.jpg
cecilmcroberts05/08/2020 22:01

I had a brand new out of the box S10 on Sunday (after charging to 100%), …I had a brand new out of the box S10 on Sunday (after charging to 100%), while watching the F1 race, setting up the device, transferring all data from a P20 Pro to the S10, 1 OS update and 2 secuirty updates, it dropped 15%. Then played with all the settings, into a Samsung LED case (the one that has the like stars and emoji's on the back), demo'd functions, all in all around 5 hours, had only dropped to 50%.[Image]

Thsts is pretty awesome.
Post a comment
@
    Text