Impersonating a police officer

Found 28th Sep 2017
In the UK can a member of the public drive a car with the word police on it? What if it was a 60s/70s Ford Mustang for example? What if the car said highway patrol and not police or maybe sheriff instead? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Is this to do with that woman who drives that mustang painted black and white that's been in the news a few times?
Destard6 m ago

Is this to do with that woman who drives that mustang painted black and …Is this to do with that woman who drives that mustang painted black and white that's been in the news a few times?

Nope, never seen that article. I know in some counties having police on the side where the word for police is anything like police is a no no, and any patterns, like checkered blue/white (Australia) is not really allowed, but what about a 20+ year old American car which is black with white doors and something written in the doors? Just wondering.
Edited by: "MIDURIX" 29th Sep 2017
it's probably fine

........or A fine
There are very strict rules and severe penalties for driving Ex Police Cars in the UK, google PC-UK who will give all the guidance you need and UK rules, including the most common asked question, driving restored Police Vehicle to Shows, Film sets etc.
Pretty sure that it would be illegal. Friend of mine years ago imported an ex police bike from the US which had a blue light on it (think it was a Harley) - he was stopped first time he was out on it - doubt the law has changed since then!
zirk7 h, 3 m ago

There are very strict rules and severe penalties for driving Ex Police …There are very strict rules and severe penalties for driving Ex Police Cars in the UK, google PC-UK who will give all the guidance you need and UK rules, including the most common asked question, driving restored Police Vehicle to Shows, Film sets etc.

Just did that and it was no help.
Plenty of horse riders seem to get away with it.
I doubt you'll have any problems so long as you're not trying to impersonate the UK police. Friend of mine used to have an ex American Police car which he regularly drove to shows and used for weddings and things, it had "Sheriff" and "Bay County Police Dept" and a gold shield on both sides, and other stuff like "To Protect and Serve" and "Call 911".
The only reason he ever got pulled over was because of the lights, he was told that blue ones were illegal, even if they didn't work. I think he got around that by making plastic covers for them.
zirk2 h, 59 m ago

http://www.policecaruk.com/BuyingFirst/Buying.html

Looks like I need a good week to read through that
American Police Dodge Charger drives round my way all time. Has police markings and has been about for 2 or so years. Northumbria police would have it off the road by now if not street legal.
Paddy_o_furniture1 h, 16 m ago

American Police Dodge Charger drives round my way all time. Has police …American Police Dodge Charger drives round my way all time. Has police markings and has been about for 2 or so years. Northumbria police would have it off the road by now if not street legal.

I can't imagine anyone getting done for "impersonating a police officer from another country"
dataload1 h, 25 m ago

I can't imagine anyone getting done for "impersonating a police officer …I can't imagine anyone getting done for "impersonating a police officer from another country"

There will be some doylem that thinks it has a authority in the UK.
Phone 101 and ask them they will know / give advice on this subject
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants