import charges

Posted 20th Dec 2019
what is allowed gods value, you can import? I believe its £15? So it needs to be below this figure, else you might get a charge from the royal mail?
Community Updates
Buying From Abroad
18 Comments
If its more than £15 im sure theres 20% import tax and sometimes a handling fee
It’s the handling fee that is the killer - £8 on top of any import fee. HMRC make the post office collect it so tax upon tax!
Buckyball20/12/2019 18:12

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Yes I look. I was just hoping i read it correctly. Is it up to £15, or including £15?
Actually, the import tax is the usual VAT. Anything above £390 attracts a separate Customs duty of 2.5%.
leegp7920/12/2019 18:44

Yes I look. I was just hoping i read it correctly. Is it up to £15, or …Yes I look. I was just hoping i read it correctly. Is it up to £15, or including £15?

£15.00
What are you ordering and where from.
If it’s Amazon.com it already charged at checkout.
Aliexpress for eg state lower price $5.00.
So do eglobal central.
If ebay.com and email to sell might do it.
I had Highlander the series, 7 box sets shipped from eBay.com £150 worth.
Seller declared as used and lower price.
leegp7920/12/2019 18:44

Yes I look. I was just hoping i read it correctly. Is it up to £15, or …Yes I look. I was just hoping i read it correctly. Is it up to £15, or including £15?

Up to £15 and you won’t be charged VAT + a handling fee.

Over £15 and you’ll be charged VAT on the order total, including that £15, and a handling fee (which alone is up to £13 on top depending on the courier)

If you have the option to pay the VAT upfront, it’s best to.
bigwheels20/12/2019 20:32

What are you ordering and where from.If it’s Amazon.com it already charged …What are you ordering and where from.If it’s Amazon.com it already charged at checkout.Aliexpress for eg state lower price $5.00.So do eglobal central.If ebay.com and email to sell might do it.I had Highlander the series, 7 box sets shipped from eBay.com £150 worth.Seller declared as used and lower price.

A vape mod £15.99. But £15 is limit. So not sure where i stand. Dont want £8 fee. It's from ebay
leegp7920/12/2019 20:41

A vape mod £15.99. But £15 is limit. So not sure where i stand. Dont want £ …A vape mod £15.99. But £15 is limit. So not sure where i stand. Dont want £8 fee. It's from ebay

I assume from eBay com.
Is shipping included?.
If so ask if they can state price but no shipping ie free shipping.
Second issue is that currency goes up and down. When it arrives it could cost £17 who knows.
Any chia seller with the item as they normally state a lower cost so no duty is paid.
Look at Banggood AliExpress for example.
leegp7920/12/2019 20:41

A vape mod £15.99. But £15 is limit. So not sure where i stand. Dont want £ …A vape mod £15.99. But £15 is limit. So not sure where i stand. Dont want £8 fee. It's from ebay

Also depends on what the seller is using to ship. If it is ebay's shipping, then you will be charged the VAT on the full amount as there is no exemption for the first £15.
bigwheels20/12/2019 20:55

I assume from eBay com.Is shipping included?.If so ask if they can state …I assume from eBay com.Is shipping included?.If so ask if they can state price but no shipping ie free shipping.Second issue is that currency goes up and down. When it arrives it could cost £17 who knows.Any chia seller with the item as they normally state a lower cost so no duty is paid.Look at Banggood AliExpress for example.

ebay.co.uk. Free shipping
leegp7920/12/2019 21:21

ebay.co.uk. Free shipping

Is it a US seller on eBay uk.
Whats the item number, Pm me it.
I will see if I can find the item elsewhere at a cheaper price if you want ?
It depends on where the item Is coming from. Inside the EU, no tax. Outside EU and over £15 value, you will.
Just to piggyback on this thread, does the £15 maximum value include postage charges, or is it just the value of the item itself? Asked the seller and they weren't sure
xbox-360-elite21/12/2019 18:35

Just to piggyback on this thread, does the £15 maximum value include …Just to piggyback on this thread, does the £15 maximum value include postage charges, or is it just the value of the item itself? Asked the seller and they weren't sure

Yes customs take shipping into consideration, stop people sending £1 items with £200 shipping costs
Sc4mp021/12/2019 19:35

Yes customs take shipping into consideration, stop people sending £1 items …Yes customs take shipping into consideration, stop people sending £1 items with £200 shipping costs

That makes sense honestly. Good to know. thanks. Item I'm looking at was about £10, shipping was around £15/£20. I'd probably get stung
But what are they going to do, now we are leaving the eu? I would have thought there would have been changes to intice bussines with other companies that are not in the eu?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants