Groups

import duty

has anyone on here bought a penknife from the USA? did you get hit with import tax? & if so, how much?
    many thanks

7 Comments

I bought folding knife and a few years later a knife for carving called a carvin jack.
    Neither got hit for duty or tax I believe as both were marked gift by the seller.

Without giving the purchase amount no one will give you a realistic answer. It's probaly easier if you just google the issue and use an import calculator.

Original Poster

purchase amount will be £10
    can't find an "import calculator"
    seller isn't amenable to labelling it up as a gift or worth less than it sells for.
    it's just a very small keyring type Swiss army

You pay on the total cost of products and services, so it includes any delivery costs.

If the total cost is under £15 you don't pay anything. Above that you pay the normal 20% VAT and whatever the delivery company charges you for bringing it through customs (~£15).

You won't get hit with any customs duty at that sort of price, they don't collect that on anything under £135.

Beware royal mails handling charge if they decide to process your item, total rip off 15 to 20 quid from what i remember plus duty on top.

PhilthyPhil

has anyone on here bought a penknife from the USA? did you get hit with … has anyone on here bought a penknife from the USA? did you get hit with import tax? & if so, how much? many thanks

Item purchase price should be £15+ to be pulled by customs, when expect to pay two items: 20% VAT plus courier's handling fee. Handling fee will likely vary between £10-£15. gov.uk/goo…uty

Original Poster

thank you all for all your help
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!1010
      2. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers1317
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767229
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047103

See more discussions