Importing from China in the current climate

Posted 24th Jan
I still see new deals appearing from AliExpress and GearBest. With the current flu outbreak, I wonder if getting a good price on something that may not be very necessary is more important than the risk, no matter how insignificant, of spreading the virus.

I've currently got a package showing up as arriving for air transport at Wuhan on the 22nd, which according to the news is the day they started the lockdown. It wasn't for anything important at all. I was just treating myself to some poker chips, of all things, for my birthday.

According to most sources I've read, a virus can only live outside the body for 48 hours, but that depends on conditions. And packages from China are always layered in plastic wrap, and plastic is a good surface for preserving a virus. I wasn't too worried about recieving the package, but at the same time, not eager. My partner, who works in healthcare, was saying this evening that her colleagues wouldn't touch my package, ooh er, I mean parcel.

I tend to have 2 or 3 items arriving each month from China. I save a fair amount importing directly from China to my letterbox. At the moment I'm holding off ordering anything new.

Just wondering what other people's opinions are at the moment?
Community Updates
Buying From Abroad
Top comments
If it's just poker chips, is it worth the gamble...........
Mr_Gus24/01/2020 23:15

Don't be naive & ill-informed

Perhaps that's why they are asking for people's opinions and information? So they can become informed ya know? Just a hunch.
Edited by: "ThePizzaBoxChef" 24th Jan
17 Comments
Well a bleach dunk isn't going to hurt plastic poker chips!
Nor is a pair of latex gloves that you'd use for a dirty drain job with all the nasties in a sewer pipe, (which you'd use to open & air your package.

Don't be naive & ill-informed, perfect time to find out how to take proper precautions rather than asking strangers here too!
what part of "healthcare" is she that her colleagues can't think their way round that one?

Clinell type wipes & so forth!?

Don't be naive & ill-informed

Perhaps that's why they are asking for people's opinions and information? So they can become informed ya know? Just a hunch.
Edited by: "ThePizzaBoxChef" 24th Jan

Well a bleach dunk isn't going to hurt plastic poker chips!Nor is a pair …Well a bleach dunk isn't going to hurt plastic poker chips!Nor is a pair of latex gloves that you'd use for a dirty drain job with all the nasties in a sewer pipe, (which you'd use to open & air your package.Don't be naive & ill-informed, perfect time to find out how to take proper precautions rather than asking strangers here too!what part of "healthcare" is she that her colleagues can't think their way round that one?Clinell type wipes & so forth!?

I appreciate there are ways to reduce the risks. I very much doubt there is a significant risk for 1 individual at the end of a long journey for 1 parcel, but I wouldn't be planning to pick up the package, and then tuck into a sandwich without a good hand wash.

I was thinking as much about parcel journeys. How many people handle a package along the way. Maybe with the millions of parcels out there, it could help spread the virus nearer the source. One sneeze on one parcel, and the next person handling it an hour later.

I was thinking as much about the postman at my door. I can protect myself somewhat with marigolds, disinfectant wipes and soap and water, but the postman handles my package, fnar fnar, and many others along the way. Clearly he can't bleach my package before handling it.

And by "healthcare", I mean healthcare. Doctors and nurses.

I was just curious about opinion.
Edited by: "Pualle" 24th Jan
I wouldn't even consider touching it without one of these:
39756173-CB8io.jpg
In all seriousness, how lucky do you feel? I'd have a ball meeting the poor postie on the doorstep in a dustmask, goggles and marigolds, saying "Just drop the package in this ziplock bag and step away please."
If there was a risk they would warn everyone and stop parcels, late night trolling. Get some sleep.
Better sites than hukd for sars type outbreak advice for sure.
As stated, this isn't "how to get red wine out of a carpet, this is common sense hygiene standards, this isn't ebola.

Practice washing your hands "properly" as a starter for 10.

But you might want to buy a clear lense ski goggle & a full body tyvek suit from the army surplus before they bump the prices up.
Oh boy, I had to post this. Your post just reminded me:

And to feed the paranoia, just remember: The germs can get you within 200 feet of an infected person's sneeze!

Next time you hear "Achoo" in the supermarket - RUN for the exit!
Pualle24/01/2020 23:31

I appreciate there are ways to reduce the risks. I very much doubt there …I appreciate there are ways to reduce the risks. I very much doubt there is a significant risk for 1 individual at the end of a long journey for 1 parcel, but I wouldn't be planning to pick up the package, and then tuck into a sandwich without a good hand wash.I was thinking as much about parcel journeys. How many people handle a package along the way. Maybe with the millions of parcels out there, it could help spread the virus nearer the source. One sneeze on one parcel, and the next person handling it an hour later.I was thinking as much about the postman at my door. I can protect myself somewhat with marigolds, disinfectant wipes and soap and water, but the postman handles my package, fnar fnar, and many others along the way. Clearly he can't bleach my package before handling it.And by "healthcare", I mean healthcare. Doctors and nurses.I was just curious about opinion.

Cold air in long haul transport if it's following the new train route, or in a pressurised plans belly / cold cargo freight plans at altitude,..minimal worries, you could get a decent u.v. light & neutralise some bugs along the way of you feel inclined.

I wouldn't like to be treated by such knee-jerk reaction doctors & nurses for their lack of professionalism, ..really, ask them about all the folk wandering around the streets who have contracted that Russian super resistant t.b.? In the uk, yet no restrictions on Soviet bloc countries get it you get that you know it!

Doctors & nurses should know better, things that took are dying from other things via a weakened system not necessarily the virus itself, ..narrow minded to say the least

Phsycronix24/01/2020 23:35

I wouldn't even consider touching it without one of these:[Image] In all …I wouldn't even consider touching it without one of these:[Image] In all seriousness, how lucky do you feel? I'd have a ball meeting the poor postie on the doorstep in a dustmask, goggles and marigolds, saying "Just drop the package in this ziplock bag and step away please."

Mr_Gus24/01/2020 23:50

Cold air in long haul transport if it's following the new train route, or …Cold air in long haul transport if it's following the new train route, or in a pressurised plans belly / cold cargo freight plans at altitude,..minimal worries, you could get a decent u.v. light & neutralise some bugs along the way of you feel inclined.I wouldn't like to be treated by such knee-jerk reaction doctors & nurses for their lack of professionalism, ..really, ask them about all the folk wandering around the streets who have contracted that Russian super resistant t.b.? In the uk, yet no restrictions on Soviet bloc countries get it you get that you know it!Doctors & nurses should know better, things that took are dying from other things via a weakened system not necessarily the virus itself, ..narrow minded to say the least

Yeah, the weakened immune system bit, that's not a confidence booster in my house, but I take your point.

What's that about superstrength Russian TB? I never had my TB jab as a child, but I never realised until recently it only protected against the most common form for the UK. But it's only recently that it dawned on me that my parents didn't give me my other inoculations as I spent a lot of time as a child with fevers and spots. I think I collected all of the native UK fevers that I could get.
Resistant to pretty much all modern treatment, & nasty as hell.
ibtimes.co.uk/wor…176
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/boo…53/

You only need testing in Russia etc if you are coming over for 6 months or more apparently *cough*
With housing & poverty problems as they are tb is making a comeback.
Mr_Gus25/01/2020 01:30

Resistant to pretty much all modern treatment...*cough*

That's how it starts.
Use DETTOL before opening the package
If it's just poker chips, is it worth the gamble...........
Pualle24/01/2020 23:31

I appreciate there are ways to reduce the risks. I very much doubt there …I appreciate there are ways to reduce the risks. I very much doubt there is a significant risk for 1 individual at the end of a long journey for 1 parcel, but I wouldn't be planning to pick up the package, and then tuck into a sandwich without a good hand wash.I was thinking as much about parcel journeys. How many people handle a package along the way. Maybe with the millions of parcels out there, it could help spread the virus nearer the source. One sneeze on one parcel, and the next person handling it an hour later.I was thinking as much about the postman at my door. I can protect myself somewhat with marigolds, disinfectant wipes and soap and water, but the postman handles my package, fnar fnar, and many others along the way. Clearly he can't bleach my package before handling it.And by "healthcare", I mean healthcare. Doctors and nurses.I was just curious about opinion.

You said, "My partner, who works in healthcare, was saying this evening that her colleagues wouldn't touch my package, ooh er, I mean parcel."

I would question very much the ability and competence of your partner and of her colleagues in healthcare matters, if they could not do an informed opinion with a bit of healthcare know-how and simple "look up" information with just Level 2 or 3 skills, for such a simple question as to how long corona virus can survive (or any virus for that matter and simple virus and bacteria health care are a must-to-have.

Anyone with a bit of healthcare knowledge or problem look-up skill (level 3 or better) knows corona virus, at 4°C, infectious virus persisted for as long as 28 days, as detailed in a medical journal, for example. Inactivation is more rapid at 20°C than at 4°C at all humidity levels; the viruses (SARS/SARS-CoV) persist for 5 to 28 days, and the slowest inactivation occurred at low Relative Humidity (such as that condition in a plastic wrap with moist content). Both SARS and SARS-CoV are inactivated more rapidly at 40°C than at 20°C. (SARS is a coronavirus too.)

If you are nuts worried about it still, I wouldn't, I would suggest that you warm the package a bit next to a radiator for a few day.
If it’s not worth to much I would just get or not accept, saying that with the quarantine in place it might not be posted for a while...
Just wash your hands thoroughly. Coronavirus is usually spread between close proximity of each other through coughing and sneezing. As long as you wash your hands thoroughly afterwards you'll be absolutely fine
@Pualle

Part 2 to what you said, "My partner, who works in healthcare, was saying this evening that her colleagues wouldn't touch my package, ooh er, I mean parcel."

My advice, with this level of problem resolution leading to a draconian pathway, "not touch this package even though perfectly safe to do so", your greatest risk is not this coronavirus but is that level of decision making about every other thing in your life ahead of you with your partner and her colleagues, as one day, you could be the "package" of your partner and her colleagues' ill-informed suspicion, fear and doubt. To put it mildly, you could be a package, ooh er, I mean you.
Edited by: "splender" 26th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants