impossible to find a good iphone X deal

Found 29th Oct 2017
i have been using a rule of thumb, £1000 for phone plus around £20 for sim for like a 10gb contract deal, where the total adds up to £1480 over 2 years.

But the cheapest total cost is like £1800 with at least 10gb data.

Guess I will just have the buy sim and phone separately.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

I can think of better things to waste my money on.
27 Comments

If you’re a student with UNiDAYS it’s 900

Original Poster

puddles999942 m ago

How?

puddles999958 m ago

Nope..... student discount doesn’t count towards iPhones

Buy a Xiaomi then

It's a case when you can charge what you want you don't need to give deals. Black friday is just around the corner so sellers need to give the impression of a good deal by keeping price high. You just need to be patience and hope they have enough stock to merit a discount.

Buy one from the Apple shop interest free over 20 months and find a separate sim-only deal that suits you.

apple.com/uk/…lay

Original Poster

Joe222 m ago

Buy one from the Apple shop interest free over 20 months and find a …Buy one from the Apple shop interest free over 20 months and find a separate sim-only deal that suits you.https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/iphone/payments/overlay

Yeh the issue is, you have to go instore for that. Could be like a one month wait for that.

Leaning towards buying it direct from John Lewis instead for the two year warranty

If you have unidays, you can get 20% off tariffs at EE which takes it to £66 pm with £130 upfront with a yearly upgrade for 100gb of data and the 256gb model, also O2 knock 20% off airtime for unidays, other than that I suggest trying the iPhone upgrade program

Original Poster

nathan300726 m ago

If you have unidays, you can get 20% off tariffs at EE which takes it to …If you have unidays, you can get 20% off tariffs at EE which takes it to £66 pm with £130 upfront with a yearly upgrade for 100gb of data and the 256gb model, also O2 knock 20% off airtime for unidays, other than that I suggest trying the iPhone upgrade program

twenty percent deal only works on contracts that doesnt have annual upgrade. already tried

Original Poster

Just called EE, I am getting iPhoneX on £48 per month with £250 up front cost, with BT sports app and 15gb data monthly

Total cost is £1402, taking off phone cost, sim is around£16.75 monthly.

Best deal I have seen so far. Might book it, sim price is fair for 15gb data

I can think of better things to waste my money on.

My opinion is this:

If you're willing to spend over £1000 on a phone, then you are one or more of the following:

1. Insane
2. Are a massive Apple fanboy
3. Have too much money to burn

Seriously though, as a fan of both Android and iOS myself, the iPhone X pricing is obscene.

You could get a top of the range Android phone, like the Galaxy S8 or Huawei P10 for half the price.
Edited by: "preecey" 29th Oct 2017

Every time someone mentions buying an iPhone X I cringe, Why spend such an obscene amount of money on a device that's lagging about 4 years behind the competition?. My brain genuinely hurts.

.MUFC.1 h, 31 m ago

Every time someone mentions buying an iPhone X I cringe, Why spend such an …Every time someone mentions buying an iPhone X I cringe, Why spend such an obscene amount of money on a device that's lagging about 4 years behind the competition?. My brain genuinely hurts.

How is it 4 years behind the competition? Is there an Android device which even sits in the same league as if for realworld performance, or for audio latency?

dxx16 m ago

How is it 4 years behind the competition? Is there an Android device which …How is it 4 years behind the competition? Is there an Android device which even sits in the same league as if for realworld performance, or for audio latency?

I don't mean this in a contentious way (as we have both iPhones and Android in our household) but is audio latency really a purchasing criteria?

Latency refers to a short period of delay (usually measured in milliseconds) between when an audio signal enters and when it emerges from a system.

dxx19 m ago

How is it 4 years behind the competition? Is there an Android device which …How is it 4 years behind the competition? Is there an Android device which even sits in the same league as if for realworld performance, or for audio latency?

Facial recognition has been around around since 2011, Wireless charging has been around since 2012. Realworld performance, Well there will no doubt be a cheaper Android device with similar performance levels for much much cheaper. As for audio I'm sure you could probably buy a top quality stereo and android mobile for much less than an iPhone X. There isn't anything revolutionary about it other than the price. Granted it's probably slightly faster but would you really notice in the realworld?.

Saturn48 m ago

I don't mean this in a contentious way (as we have both iPhones and …I don't mean this in a contentious way (as we have both iPhones and Android in our household) but is audio latency really a purchasing criteria?Latency refers to a short period of delay (usually measured in milliseconds) between when an audio signal enters and when it emerges from a system.

It depends what you use your phone for. iOS devices can be used for all sorts of audio applications because their latency times (which you didn't need to define for me, btw) are in the 10ms range. One popular use, for example, is to use iPhones as fully-featured guitar amp & effects simulators. There have been whole albums recorded with them.

The Galaxy S8, by comparison, has an audio latency of around 80ms. That's useless for such tasks. It'll also cause things like music player apps to feel distinctly less responsive than on an Apple device.

dxx3 m ago

It depends what you use your phone for. iOS devices can be used for all …It depends what you use your phone for. iOS devices can be used for all sorts of audio applications because their latency times (which you didn't need to define for me, btw) are in the 10ms range. One popular use, for example, is to use iPhones as fully-featured guitar amp & effects simulators. There have been whole albums recorded with them.The Galaxy S8, by comparison, has an audio latency of around 80ms. That's useless for such tasks. It'll also cause things like music player apps to feel distinctly less responsive than on an Apple device.

I'll bear it in mind for my next album.

.MUFC.1 h, 31 m ago

Facial recognition has been around around since 2011, Wireless charging …Facial recognition has been around around since 2011, Wireless charging has been around since 2012. Realworld performance, Well there will no doubt be a cheaper Android device with similar performance levels for much much cheaper. As for audio I'm sure you could probably buy a top quality stereo and android mobile for much less than an iPhone X. There isn't anything revolutionary about it other than the price. Granted it's probably slightly faster but would you really notice in the realworld?.

Facial recognition has been around for a while, but the new iPhones are (afaik) the first to do it in 3D, which means people can't get around it just by holding up a picture of your face. Wireless charging is a fair point. The idea that cheap Android devices can compete with the X in terms of speed is very wishful thinking - Geekbench pitches the X at somewhere between 50% and 100% faster than the Galaxy S8, and that's not going to get any better when you start looking at actually-cheap Androids. Regarding your audio point, you're talking about something completely irrelevant. Audio latency is a measure of how quickly audio makes it from input to output, and having the best stereo in the world won't compensate for how slow and inefficient Android is, and how useless that makes the OS for audio tasks.

Android's big problem is that it's always been a very inefficient OS, which means that even where Android devices have better specs, they'll still be heavily outperformed by Apple's products. It's just the nature of having an OS and software library which supports about a billion different hardware architectures.

dxx8 h, 10 m ago

Facial recognition has been around for a while, but the new iPhones are …Facial recognition has been around for a while, but the new iPhones are (afaik) the first to do it in 3D, which means people can't get around it just by holding up a picture of your face. Wireless charging is a fair point. The idea that cheap Android devices can compete with the X in terms of speed is very wishful thinking - Geekbench pitches the X at somewhere between 50% and 100% faster than the Galaxy S8, and that's not going to get any better when you start looking at actually-cheap Androids. Regarding your audio point, you're talking about something completely irrelevant. Audio latency is a measure of how quickly audio makes it from input to output, and having the best stereo in the world won't compensate for how slow and inefficient Android is, and how useless that makes the OS for audio tasks.Android's big problem is that it's always been a very inefficient OS, which means that even where Android devices have better specs, they'll still be heavily outperformed by Apple's products. It's just the nature of having an OS and software library which supports about a billion different hardware architectures.

Audio latency is hardly relevant for 99.9% of its users. Milliseconds difference lol, miniscule amount of lag that no one would have ever noticed until you mentioned it. It might be a bit faster than an S8 but then it is newer, I guess the S9 will probably be much faster than an iPhone X. Yeah granted iOS is optimised much better but it's the same on every device very generic with little customisation. However the main detracting factor is the price, Sadly Samsung and the others have jumped on the bandwagon and will no doubt inflate the S9 price. A Ferrari is faster than most other cars but to use it for everyday use isn't really viable. Oh and when the next iPhone comes out they'll no doubt cripple it's performance and kill the batteries like they have on iPhone 6/S and 7's. There are other android devices that are as powerful as the S8 with more realistic prices. Windows hello is similar to the facial recognition, since technology has moved forward it's obviously going to be a little better. However at the demo it failed to recognise his face lol so probably an unreliable method. Is it a fair price?. Is it £500 better than an S8?. You could buy an S8 and a pretty decent laptop that is far more powerful than any mobile phone for the price of an iPhone X. It's absolutely beyond ridiculous. If you're gullible enough to buy such crap then more fool you.

.MUFC.36 m ago

Audio latency is hardly relevant for 99.9% of its users. Milliseconds …Audio latency is hardly relevant for 99.9% of its users. Milliseconds difference lol, miniscule amount of lag that no one would have ever noticed until you mentioned it. It might be a bit faster than an S8 but then it is newer, I guess the S9 will probably be much faster than an iPhone X. Yeah granted iOS is optimised much better but it's the same on every device very generic with little customisation. However the main detracting factor is the price, Sadly Samsung and the others have jumped on the bandwagon and will no doubt inflate the S9 price. A Ferrari is faster than most other cars but to use it for everyday use isn't really viable. Oh and when the next iPhone comes out they'll no doubt cripple it's performance and kill the batteries like they have on iPhone 6/S and 7's. There are other android devices that are as powerful as the S8 with more realistic prices. Windows hello is similar to the facial recognition, since technology has moved forward it's obviously going to be a little better. However at the demo it failed to recognise his face lol so probably an unreliable method. Is it a fair price?. Is it £500 better than an S8?. You could buy an S8 and a pretty decent laptop that is far more powerful than any mobile phone for the price of an iPhone X. It's absolutely beyond ridiculous. If you're gullible enough to buy such crap then more fool you.

I think you're missing the point of what a smartphone is about, which is convergence. Yes, you could buy an S8 and a laptop for the same price as an X. You could also buy an original 3310, a pocket calculator, an organizer, a Nintendo Switch, a basic SLR, an iPod, and a myriad of other things to replicate the abilities of the X, for the same price as an X. Would you, though? Of course not. Not now. The value point is, of course, debatable, but it's worth pointing out that the premium you pay for an X over an 8 enhances all the functions an iPhone is capable of, and it's up to the individual whether that's worthwhile or not.

Regarding the audio latency point, I'd question your 99.9% guess, and can't really say anything kind about your belief that milliseconds is meaningless. That shows some extraordinary ignorance, albeit still on a par with what one would expect from someone who thinks that a decent stereo is a valid substitute for a core facet of performance, and someone who still calls Apple users sheep (I mean, seriously man, it's not 2007 anymore, people know there are choices out there). I'm actually not sure why I'm bothering to write to someone who's so utterly clueless, so I'll stop now.

dxx20 m ago

I think you're missing the point of what a smartphone is about, which is …I think you're missing the point of what a smartphone is about, which is convergence. Yes, you could buy an S8 and a laptop for the same price as an X. You could also buy an original 3310, a pocket calculator, an organizer, a Nintendo Switch, a basic SLR, an iPod, and a myriad of other things to replicate the abilities of the X, for the same price as an X. Would you, though? Of course not. Not now. The value point is, of course, debatable, but it's worth pointing out that the premium you pay for an X over an 8 enhances all the functions an iPhone is capable of, and it's up to the individual whether that's worthwhile or not. Regarding the audio latency point, I'd question your 99.9% guess, and can't really say anything kind about your belief that milliseconds is meaningless. That shows some extraordinary ignorance, albeit still on a par with what one would expect from someone who thinks that a decent stereo is a valid substitute for a core facet of performance, and someone who still calls Apple users sheep (I mean, seriously man, it's not 2007 anymore, people know there are choices out there). I'm actually not sure why I'm bothering to write to someone who's so utterly clueless, so I'll stop now.

You really think audio latency is a major selling point? Yes I get the point, In comparison Android has got latency issues due to the way they process audio. Ideally it should be under 10 milliseconds apparently, However it's the first time I've heard it used as a comparison. I guess if latency is a factor for you then go blow your dosh. The S8 looks nicer and performs as you would expect a premium device to perform. I'm not denying iPhones performance but I just see the price and it just does not offer any value whatsoever. I don't know how anyone can genuinely justify the price. It probably cost apple £50 to make, There business model is to simply fleece it's own customers, They have no morals.

.MUFC.1 h, 43 m ago

You really think audio latency is a major selling point? Yes I get the …You really think audio latency is a major selling point? Yes I get the point, In comparison Android has got latency issues due to the way they process audio. Ideally it should be under 10 milliseconds apparently, However it's the first time I've heard it used as a comparison. I guess if latency is a factor for you then go blow your dosh. The S8 looks nicer and performs as you would expect a premium device to perform. I'm not denying iPhones performance but I just see the price and it just does not offer any value whatsoever. I don't know how anyone can genuinely justify the price. It probably cost apple £50 to make, There business model is to simply fleece it's own customers, They have no morals.

Dude, do you even know anything?

The X will cost substantially more than £50 to make. The 8+ cost $300 just for parts and manufacturing, and probably a significant sum more again for R&D, software, marketing, warranty & customer support, and so on. In fact, there's not a single thing you seem to know or understand about Apple smartphones, so why on earth do you think you have the authority to say that people are fools to buy them?

dxx17 m ago

Dude, do you even know anything?The X will cost substantially more than …Dude, do you even know anything?The X will cost substantially more than £50 to make. The 8+ cost $300 just for parts and manufacturing, and probably a significant sum more again for R&D, software, marketing, warranty & customer support, and so on. In fact, there's not a single thing you seem to know or understand about Apple smartphones, so why on earth do you think you have the authority to say that people are fools to buy them?

Sorry costs about $219.80 to make an iphone 7, I suspect it cost them a similar amount for the X. Plus marketing etc.. I guess $300ish, $400 would be a fair price. Anyone who pays over £1k for a mobile needs to reevaluate things. While people are silly enough to pay #whateverpriceappledictates then the longer they'll screw the consumer. The prices would soon drop if the sheep took off there blinkers. Sorry you're free to pay as much as you like but just remember there is a poor child that has probably worked 18 hour days to manufacture it.

dxx3 h, 29 m ago

Dude, do you even know anything?The X will cost substantially more than …Dude, do you even know anything?The X will cost substantially more than £50 to make. The 8+ cost $300 just for parts and manufacturing, and probably a significant sum more again for R&D, software, marketing, warranty & customer support, and so on. In fact, there's not a single thing you seem to know or understand about Apple smartphones, so why on earth do you think you have the authority to say that people are fools to buy them?

Apple is one of the most cash rich companies in the world, you dont get that title with a 5% margin. They are overpriced fashion accessories but I wouldnt say anyone is a fool for buying one... maybe a sheep?

.MUFC.30th Oct

Sorry costs about $219.80 to make an iphone 7, I suspect it cost them a …Sorry costs about $219.80 to make an iphone 7, I suspect it cost them a similar amount for the X. Plus marketing etc.. I guess $300ish, $400 would be a fair price. Anyone who pays over £1k for a mobile needs to reevaluate things. While people are silly enough to pay #whateverpriceappledictates then the longer they'll screw the consumer. The prices would soon drop if the sheep took off there blinkers. Sorry you're free to pay as much as you like but just remember there is a poor child that has probably worked 18 hour days to manufacture it.

This happens with every manufacturer... They use workers in factories where they are treated worse than slaves...

As for the iPhone X being worth so much more than any other high-end smartphone that's nonsense and I say this having both a S7 Edge and an iPhone 7 plus... So not biased towards a particular OS.

Nothing you can do with the X can't be done equally well with other flagship phones lol.
The differences in real world usage are so minimal you wouldn't be able to notice.
I always laugh when people have endless discussions about camera differences... As if these phones took vastly different pictures in quality... If you are seriously into photography you don't use a phone camera and if you're not then any decent smartphone takes decent pictures nowadays. You don't need to spend 1K to take pics for FB or Instagram.
If you listen to these people, you'd think you're talking to Richard Avedon... In reality, they need a super camera to take selfies to post on social media lol, which any decent smartphone can do well enough.

People, just admit you spend that money because having an iPhone X is a whim... Just like me having two phones is a whim because I'm into techy stuff.
That's honest and you can spend your money how you like but don't try and justify it with nonsense like audio latency etc.
Edited by: "hearts22" 3rd Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions