Improving WiFi with Sky

Found 21st Dec 2017
I joined Sky this month and can get 61mb wired.

WiFi though, it's about 35mb. YouTube buffers upstairs too and I get lag on online gaming.

Never had this with BT. I have the Sky Q hub.

I've tried changing the WiFi channel and splitting the networks but it's not making a difference.

Any ideas? I only have a small house but the walls are pretty solid. The hub is in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs.

Thanks.
Community Updates
15 Comments
Try unsyncing 2.4 ghz and 5 GHz in WiFi or Vic's versa
Original Poster
caverncity3 m ago

Try unsyncing 2.4 ghz and 5 GHz in WiFi or Vic's versa

Tried that. The speed was worse.
Try borrowing a router from a friend and test it in router only mode. If your speed/stability improves its the sky hub and you should then either buy a router to plug into it and turn it into a modem or experiment further with the settings.

My experience of provider provided routers (I’ve had many) is that they are completely useless unless you only have a few devices and low expectations from performance (email and web browsing).
Do you have any hubs in the house? When we moved our hue hub away from the router the speed improved.
Original Poster
neilscutt9 m ago

Do you have any hubs in the house? When we moved our hue hub away from the …Do you have any hubs in the house? When we moved our hue hub away from the router the speed improved.

No not at all. I am thinking about buying a router to use with the Sky Hub though. Just need to work out which one.
Exact problem here, I was on normal sky fibre upgraded to fibre max last month but the wifi speeds are still about the same getting around 25-30 meg normally but buffering takes ages
Also sky max and I find the range pretty bad. When parked on the road I can get all my neighbours (at least wifi (all talktalk) but mine, which I'm parked right outside, doesn't appear
cmdr_elito26 m ago

Try borrowing a router from a friend and test it in router only mode. If …Try borrowing a router from a friend and test it in router only mode. If your speed/stability improves its the sky hub and you should then either buy a router to plug into it and turn it into a modem or experiment further with the settings. My experience of provider provided routers (I’ve had many) is that they are completely useless unless you only have a few devices and low expectations from performance (email and web browsing).

What cmdr_elito says ... Domestic wifi routers are dire.
I've kept my Sky router for the hardwired connection to the internet, but replaced my wifi with a couple of Ubiquiti Pro access points (at the recommendation of a friend). Blisteringly fast, great range (through walls), and always a rock solid connection.
They pretty much work out of the, but it took me a little while to get them configured 'properly'.
Same here
I've been on fibre with them for a while now and was getting a steady 40mb but then bought SkyQ and they wanted the SkyQ router fitting alongside it and the speeds now have been rubbish.
I tried setting up my old router but couldn't get it to connect
My old one was a white rectangle one but I had to have a white modem attached to it.
All ISP equipment is useless, they do the job (just about). As above if you want to go down the route of separate modem and AP then I can definitely recommend Unifi AP as they are a great bit of kit.
My WiFi is also terrible with sky can only get it in the half of my house from where my router is. If you find out what works please let me know
I had the Sky Q Hub when I was with them and found it to be very poor. Seems all SKY routers are pretty dire when compared to what rivals offer.
Original Poster
I'm guessing I could buy a WiFi power line? I've never thought about those before, or if I should just buy an expensive router and plug that into the sky hub?
Original Poster
So the Sky Q Hub doesn't work for me. 62mb wired, around 30mb wifi upstairs. Nothing like it was with BT.So, I'm thinking of getting an Asus router - I know there are ways around using this instead of the Sky Q hub, but is it easy and is there an Asus model which makes it easier than others?

Failing that, I'd just connect it to the Sky Q Hub and use it as my WiFi source, although this would look a bit of an eyesore.

Another idea, was to use a wifi powerline. I would need a passthrough one where I can plug it into the wall socket, and then be able to plug an extention cable into it to power the hub and my phone. Would this then mean that the other end of the powerline would be my main wifi source, being more stronger than the Sky Q hub?

Thanks
Have you still got the bt router?. If so conect it upto the sky router so it acts as a wifi bridge.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions