In 2021 every new car will be fitted with speed restriction technology

Found 23rd MayEdited by:"Aeschylus"
This will apply to us as let’s be honest Brexit is a fudge so these rules will also apply...

this is is the headline amongst others, basically new rules from the Eu...

here the list

• Advanced emergency braking (cars)
  • Alcohol interlock installation facilitation (cars,vans, trucks, buses)
  • Drowsiness and attention detection (cars, vans,trucks, buses)
  • Distraction recognition / prevention (cars, vans,trucks, buses)
  • Event (accident) data recorder (cars and vans)
  • Emergency stop signal (cars, vans, trucks, buses)
  • Full-width frontal occupant protection crash test -improved seatbelts (cars and vans)
  • Head impact zone enlargement for pedestrians and cyclists -safety glass in case of crash (cars and vans)
  • Intelligent speed assistance (cars, vans, trucks,buses)
  • Lane keeping assist (cars, vans)
  • Pole side impact occupant protection (cars, vans)
  • Reversing camera or detection system (cars, vans,trucks, buses)
  • Tyre pressure monitoring system (vans, trucks,buses)
  • Vulnerable road user detection and warning on front and side of vehicle (trucks and buses)
  • Vulnerable road user improved direct vision from driver’s position (trucks and buses)

You will be allowed in an emergency to put your foot to the floor to allow a few seconds of speed increase, as the EU recognises there may be times where a burst of speed is needed

Can the system be overridden?
Yes. ETSC recommends fitting ISA systems that can be overridden temporarily.

Example: a driver is carrying out an overtaking manoevre to pass a lorry on a motorway at the same time as a decrease in the speed limit is encountered. In this case, the driver could temporarily override the lower speed limit and complete the manoeuvre at a higher speed by depressing the accelerator down hard to signal to the system that the limiter should be temporarily disabled. If the driver continues to drive above the speed limit for several seconds, the system should display and sound a warning. Once the vehicle is operating at or below the speed limit again, the override state should be cancelled and normal functionality should resume.
Community Updates
MiscHome & Living
Top comments
My Mondeo already has a speed restrictor, she sits in the passenger seat next to me constantly shouting "will you slow down".
26 Comments
April Fool's day prank? 2 months late (which is pretty good for the EU)

That lot is going to push up new car prices and second hand prices as well. Who do they think is going to pay for all that?
Nothing to do with Brexit.

Automation and AI will take over globally if we don't do something.

At the moment Google Android etc, are dictating already what you are limited to do, the Andriod OS and Apple OS are operating you to a large extent, if you don't believe me, read all the terms and condition and legal & contract handbooks in 10 A4 binders printed in font size 4. An operating system does what it says on the tin, it operates you.

Facebook will tell what your face looks like better than you know your face.

Come 2030, there will be restrictions on human beings as they are not speedy, bright nor fast enough. If you don't believe me Google the big consultancy firms' forecasts (PWC, Deloittes, Bain & Company, McKinsey). Just look at this headline Artificial Intelligence could add £232bn to UK GDP by 2030 - PwC research ; do we need AI worker or human workers, take your pick as a customer.

If your government don't pull their fingers out now to come up with white papers for social means-to-live policies and law, you are limited. HOTUKDEAL may become HOTUK-CONSUME-FEW-DEAL. There are just 12 years to 2030 and draft policies take many years to become law, and then many more years to implement. Have you heard of the drafting of social means-to-live policies law, I haven't!
Edited by: "splender" 23rd May
much of this is already standard on many car, some of it is actually quite good the biggest issue though will be with lane assist its based on white lines in the road and since the condition of roads are so bad many dont even have clear lines any more.
splender20 m ago

Nothing to do with Brexit.Automation and AI will take over globally if we …Nothing to do with Brexit.Automation and AI will take over globally if we don't do something.At the moment Google Android etc, are dictating already what you are limited to do, the Andriod OS and Apple OS are operating you to a large extent, if you don't believe me, read all the terms and condition and legal & contract handbooks in 10 A4 binders printed in font size 4. An operating system does what it says on the tin, it operates you.Facebook will tell what your face looks like better than you know your face. Come 2030, there will be restrictions on human beings as they are not speedy, bright nor fast enough. If you don't believe me Google the big consultancy firms' forecasts (PWC, Deloittes, Bain & Company, McKinsey). Just look at this headline Artificial Intelligence could add £232bn to UK GDP by 2030 - PwC research ; do we need AI worker or human workers, take your pick as a customer.If your government don't pull their fingers out now to come up with white papers for social means-to-live policies and law, you are limited. HOTUKDEAL may become HOTUK-CONSUME-FEW-DEAL. There are just 12 years to 2030 and draft policies take many years to become law, and then many more years to implement. Have you heard of the drafting of social means-to-live policies law, I haven't!

I agree, automation is the biggest threat to humanity, there are billions of people who think it is good, but fail to realise that their jobs will be going....

2 safe sectors I feel, education and births and deaths, apart from that every factory job will go et al...

at our local hospital they bought a machine that does your prescription for you for 4 million, took the wait time from 20mins to under 2 mins....

brilliant, except for the 30 people who lost their job
Aeschylus11 m ago

I agree, automation is the biggest threat to humanity, there are billions …I agree, automation is the biggest threat to humanity, there are billions of people who think it is good, but fail to realise that their jobs will be going....2 safe sectors I feel, education and births and deaths, apart from that every factory job will go et al...at our local hospital they bought a machine that does your prescription for you for 4 million, took the wait time from 20mins to under 2 mins....brilliant, except for the 30 people who lost their job

Automation is great and it would sort out traffic. Also you would save fuel by slipstream the lead vehicle.

As for factories the machines will never be fully automated for anything but mass production and even those have to be constantly watch.
Aeschylus25 m ago

I agree, automation is the biggest threat to humanity, there are billions …I agree, automation is the biggest threat to humanity, there are billions of people who think it is good, but fail to realise that their jobs will be going....2 safe sectors I feel, education and births and deaths, apart from that every factory job will go et al...at our local hospital they bought a machine that does your prescription for you for 4 million, took the wait time from 20mins to under 2 mins....brilliant, except for the 30 people who lost their job

Education isn't a safe sector by any means. Well fairly safe for the next 5 years, but then change is a coming starting with FE and HE.
Technology isn't exactly perfect - being over reliant on driver safety systems makes people lazy and could prove rather dangerous should these systems fail or break.

All that said, humans are the weakest link. AI is the next step in human evolution - think Matrix, Terminator etc it'll all happen the rate technology is advancing. Soon we'll all be like cattle, some of us already are - walking around mindlessly staring at smartphones in our own little worlds.
DKLS39 m ago

Education isn't a safe sector by any means. Well fairly safe for the next …Education isn't a safe sector by any means. Well fairly safe for the next 5 years, but then change is a coming starting with FE and HE.

I don’t see how you automate education? Short of VR from home, primary and secondary level will always be bums on seats I feel, and we are a 100 years away from an Android teaching classes
Aeschylus50 m ago

I don’t see how you automate education?

Respectfully disagree; Education has always been automated and that automation evolves continuously to meet the capabilities of the pupil.

At prep school, Teacher spoke. I listened. That was one form of automation. Not very effective for many. I caught the miracle of Multiple Guess and that too was another form of automation. And then came the Language Lab and SMP Maths plus a generation of cribsheet workbooks to be bought at WH Smiths etc. All pretty limited stuff but there if you embraced it.

Now, look a the richness of the transport medium that educates our kids today and the range of technology delivered courses they can access easily online without a teacher's intervention. In my professional life, I undertake CPD via online courses and books that give formal (meaningful) qualifications.

Automation has always been here. The limit now is on what you want to absorb. No longer is it limited to that which you have access to.
I don’t see anything in there about motorbikes, do they not exist then or do they all have a training wheel fitted in case the riders tried to do something like lean over and the ‘machine ai’ think that they where falling off!
Good
Aeschylus3 h, 6 m ago

I don’t see how you automate education? Short of VR from home, primary and …I don’t see how you automate education? Short of VR from home, primary and secondary level will always be bums on seats I feel, and we are a 100 years away from an Android teaching classes

Easy to do with out VR, with Digital classrooms, blended learning programmes, classroom rotational models and e-learning will result in reduced demand for teachers. We will still need teachers just no where near as many.

Things are going to get interesting in the education space in the next 10 years, take a look at what Google and Microsoft are doing in the education space.
I want a jet pack in 2020
wallzone6 h, 43 m ago

I don’t see anything in there about motorbikes, do they not exist then or d …I don’t see anything in there about motorbikes, do they not exist then or do they all have a training wheel fitted in case the riders tried to do something like lean over and the ‘machine ai’ think that they where falling off!

I was just reading THIS yesterday. A beginning maybe?
Aeschylus11 h, 5 m ago

But think of the 30 jobs it created for those who designed, built, programmed and tested that machine. People only focus on the negatives of automation - If automation didn’t exist, myself and many others would be out of a job too.
Yes, automation will hit hard the low paid unskilled jobs like production line workers, but will create jobs for skilled technical people and will mean higher wages.

technological progress has always been met by resistance - the luddites did not want the textile mills to take their cottage weaving jobs for instance. The coal barge captains were against railways taking their trade. Humanity adapts as technology advances and the careers change to meet the new demands
Edited by: "118luke" 23rd May
118luke11 h, 23 m ago

But think of the 30 jobs it created for those who designed, built, …But think of the 30 jobs it created for those who designed, built, programmed and tested that machine. People only focus on the negatives of automation - If automation didn’t exist, myself and many others would be out of a job too. Yes, automation will hit hard the low paid unskilled jobs like production line workers, but will create jobs for skilled technical people and will mean higher wages.technological progress has always been met by resistance - the luddites did not want the textile mills to take their cottage weaving jobs for instance. The coal barge captains were against railways taking their trade. Humanity adapts as technology advances and the careers change to meet the new demands

First off let me point out that the low skilled workers are the first step. As AI improves it moves further up the chain. In 50 years time even the most 'human' of jobs will be doable by AI. In my view that's not a terrible thing.
The problem is most peoples views of what jobs should be are very old fashioned.
Automation should mean people can work less. We don't need a job for every person. We don't need to be working 9-5 Monday to Friday, even today.
There is going to have to be some serious changes to the way society views jobs and work but automation could be amazing for everyone. Once machines can keep us housed, fed and entertained for very little cost people will 'work' because they want to, not because they face homelessness and starvation otherwise. They will be free to do what they find interesting.
We shouldn't be scared of machines removing the need for humans to work. Surely this is what the human race has been working towards since we designed the wheel and cart to save us carrying everything everywhere!
Mine is already speed restricted. To 155mph. Bummer eh?
Good. Sick of idiots who think they're on a race track. Can't wait for most vehicles to be self-driven.
My Mondeo already has a speed restrictor, she sits in the passenger seat next to me constantly shouting "will you slow down".
unreality1 h, 1 m ago

Good. Sick of idiots who think they're on a race track. Can't wait for …Good. Sick of idiots who think they're on a race track. Can't wait for most vehicles to be self-driven.

Im looking forward to far fewer traffic jams. Most motorway traffic jams are caused by people trying to cut into queues at the last second, causing other lanes to have to slow down.
No more idiots delaying at traffic lights doing their make-up/texting - traffic will flow far far better if it is taken outside of user control.
118luke42 m ago

Most motorway traffic jams are caused by people trying to cut into queues …Most motorway traffic jams are caused by people trying to cut into queues at the last second, causing other lanes to have to slow down.

or people sitting in the Audi lane tootling along at 65 and not moving back to the left.
Remember, the Audi lane is for overtaking only.
wallzone23rd May

I don’t see anything in there about motorbikes, do they not exist then or d …I don’t see anything in there about motorbikes, do they not exist then or do they all have a training wheel fitted in case the riders tried to do something like lean over and the ‘machine ai’ think that they where falling off!

It will happen I’m sure, it jut takes a while to filter down from cars to bikes. If you think about the safety tech on bikes now that wernt there a few years ago - anti wheelie, abs, traction control etc, it won’t be long.
123thisisme18 h, 25 m ago

My Mondeo already has a speed restrictor, she sits in the passenger seat …My Mondeo already has a speed restrictor, she sits in the passenger seat next to me constantly shouting "will you slow down".

Mine threatens to throw up at every turn... roundabout... traffic lights...
gcmarcal25th May

Mine threatens to throw up at every turn... roundabout... traffic lights...

That reminds me. Let me know when it's my turn to have her.
She's just like that with me too.
Oneday7727th May

That reminds me. Let me know when it's my turn to have her.She's just like …That reminds me. Let me know when it's my turn to have her.She's just like that with me too.

Mate, its past due your turn to have her. As long as you don't give it back!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants