Found 20th Aug 2009
what is a optical disc drive? (ODD) ... i need to recover my acer notebook to orginal settings but it has no disc tray and in the instructions with disc it says

''Ensure recovery disc is in an external (USB) optical disc drive''

Rep for help not for hate

1. Misc
  2. Asics
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Asics
26 Comments

A CD/DVD drive connected over USB?

Original Poster Banned

dregan;6070914

A CD/DVD drive connected over USB?

Errr oh yeh? :?

amazon.co.uk/Sli…32/ this sort of thing, basically. Similar to an external hard drive, except it's a CD/DVD drive.

Original Poster Banned

Ah, i get you now.... thanks mate.

repped

Yeah you need to plug in a optical drive to put the recovery disc in, in order to reset it back to factory settings.
When you've plugged it in tap F11 and F12 together (because it differs whether its F11 or F12 in different PCs) and you should be able to boot from the cd.
Is it a acer netbook?

Original Poster Banned

Blocparty12;6070964

Yeah you need to plug in a optical drive to put the recovery disc in, in … Yeah you need to plug in a optical drive to put the recovery disc in, in order to reset it back to factory settings.When you've plugged it in tap F11 and F12 together (because it differs whether its F11 or F12 in different PCs) and you should be able to boot from the cd.Is it a acer netbook?

Indeed it is

DangerGod;6070954

Ah, i get you now.... thanks mate.repped

ur supposed to be young and down with the technology crap :lol: poor show DG poor show

Like the other poster says: A CD drive, or a DVD drive, in an enclosure all of its own, which connects to your laptop via USB.

Something like amazon.co.uk/MY-…OIK

- or -

amazon.co.uk/Por…04Y

You may be able to borrow one from someone

Original Poster Banned

micoo;6070969

ur supposed to be young and down with the technology crap :lol: poor show … ur supposed to be young and down with the technology crap :lol: poor show DG poor show

Shut it :-D

Fluffykins;6070973

Like the other poster says: A CD drive, or a DVD drive, in an enclosure … Like the other poster says: A CD drive, or a DVD drive, in an enclosure all of its own, which connects to your laptop via USB.Something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/MY-Link-External-DVD-ROM-Laptops-Desktops/dp/B000YIVOIK- or - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-External-Optical-Samsung-netbook/dp/B001P6004YYou may be able to borrow one from someone

Hoping so! but also doubting so... lol

DangerGod;6070968

Indeed it is

Ive recovered one of those there pretty easy.

Original Poster Banned

Blocparty12;6071019

Ive recovered one of those there pretty easy.

i wont have an issue recovering, i just need the ODD

not got an xbox 360 hd-dvd those are supposed to work on notebooks

can it not do it from external HDD or flashpen

Original Poster Banned

dontasciime;6071073

not got an xbox 360 hd-dvd those are supposed to work on notebooks

nah i dont have a HD drive

dontasciime;6071089

can it not do it from external HDD or flashpen

Hmm, no idea mate?

it is an optical disk drice cos only opticians can use it...they use it to drive their cars while they are fitting peoples contact lenses...it makes the drive a lot smoother to avoid accidents

ohhhh and also if someone who isnt an optician tried using it (YOU) it will blow up and cover the whole room in a very suspicious off-while, salty tasting substance

I better get repped for sharing my vast knowledge with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original Poster Banned

lil_tiger;6071129

it is an optical disk drice cos only opticians can use it...they use it … it is an optical disk drice cos only opticians can use it...they use it to drive their cars while they are fitting peoples contact lenses...it makes the drive a lot smoother to avoid accidents :)ohhhh and also if someone who isnt an optician tried using it (YOU) it will blow up and cover the whole room in a very suspicious off-while, salty tasting substanceI better get repped for sharing my vast knowledge with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, you know your stuff... im amazed.. what else can you do? you know you love the salty stuff

I'm pretty sure all Acers come with all the factory default system stored on a hidden partiton on the hard drive so you can restore it without the use of a cd.

Before performing a restore operation, check the BIOS settings by pressing F2 during startup

1 Check to see if Acer disk-to-disk recovery is enabled or not.
2 Make sure the D2D Recovery setting in Main is Enabled.
3 Exit the BIOS utility and save changes. The system will reboot.

To start the recovery process:
1 Restart the system.
2 While the Acer logo is showing, press + at the same time to
enter the recovery process.
3 Refer to the onscreen instructions to perform system recovery.

trog0;6071367
I'm pretty sure all Acers come with all the factory default system stored on a hidden partiton on the hard drive so you can restore it without the use of a cd.

Before performing a restore operation, check the BIOS settings by pressing F2 during startup

1 Check to see if Acer disk-to-disk recovery is enabled or not.
2 Make sure the D2D Recovery setting in Main is Enabled.
3 Exit the BIOS utility and save changes. The system will reboot.

To start the recovery process:
1 Restart the system.
2 While the Acer logo is showing, press + at the same time to
enter the recovery process.
3 Refer to the onscreen instructions to perform system recovery.

:thumbsup: on laptops .Not sure if notebooks have that partition. Hopefully they do

lil_tiger;6071129

it is an optical disk drice cos only opticians can use it...they use it … it is an optical disk drice cos only opticians can use it...they use it to drive their cars while they are fitting peoples contact lenses...it makes the drive a lot smoother to avoid accidents :)ohhhh and also if someone who isnt an optician tried using it (YOU) it will blow up and cover the whole room in a very suspicious off-while, salty tasting substanceI better get repped for sharing my vast knowledge with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rep begging...................................reported..................................not!:p

Original Poster Banned

GAVINLEWISHUKD;6071437

Rep … Rep begging...................................reported..................................not!:p

Do it! you got my full backing

GAVINLEWISHUKD;6071437

Rep … Rep begging...................................reported..................................not!:p

Thread spoiling gav..................................reported myself....................not!:-D

dontasciime;6071391

:thumbsup: on laptops .Not sure if notebooks have that partition. … :thumbsup: on laptops .Not sure if notebooks have that partition. Hopefully they do

The instructions I posted are from an Aspire One manual. :thumbsup:

DG I have a USB DVD drive, will swap you it for sadie!:-D

trog0;6071542

The instructions I posted are from an Aspire One manual. :thumbsup:

Then it should work. Hopefully someone did not delete the partition. :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

GAVINLEWISHUKD;6071566

DG I have a USB DVD drive, will swap you it for sadie!:-D

NO deal. lol

GAVINLEWISHUKD;6071437

DangerGod;6071443

Do it! you got my full backing

:cry: meanies!!!!!!!!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Appliance direct code or voucher22
    2. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...77
    3. Whey protien513
    4. Gas Cooker Hose Required22

See more discussions