Found 5th Jan 2009
Okay, this is a biggy so please bare with me. I was medically discharged from the Army a year ago with a NFCI (Non Freezing Cold Injury) which basically renders me unable to work in outdoor/cold climates. As I was in the infantry, they decided to throw me out with £2,500 compensation. I was very upset and took up a claim against the MOD as most people with NFCI's are treated and kept in service. I came out and started work in an industrial recycling factory, I left after about 7 months as I was unhappy with the work, I went in on a monday morning, signed my notice and walked out (literally). A few month back they asked me to go back, and because I was in search of work, I decided to go back as I would be doing an okay job. Just before Xmas I was placed in an outdoor environment, handling product that was literally frozen over, sometimes sub zero condtions and I am now worried about my health if anything, today it had been snowing and I experienced pain in my hands and feet....what the hell do I do? I am considering handing my notice in as if I am caught working outside, private investigators hired by the MOD will report to them that if I was injured, I shouldn't have been working outside, I did tell my big boss before I started last January, but it looks as though he has forgotten and not even informed his foreman (my boss)....

6 Comments

Sorry to hear about what's happened to you - not sure if this is the best approach but perhaps you should speak to your foreman about this first.

In addition to that I think you should consider seeing a doctor but also a lawyer as well - the latter with regards to how the MOD have treated you.

That's my thoughts about this but don't quote me in court! :whistling:

Hope it all works out for you mate. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Scotty Boy;3961214

Sorry to hear about what's happened to you - not sure if this is the best … Sorry to hear about what's happened to you - not sure if this is the best approach but perhaps you should speak to your foreman about this first.In addition to that I think you should consider seeing a doctor but also a lawyer as well - the latter with regards to how the MOD have treated you.That's my thoughts about this but don't quote me in court! :whistling:Hope it all works out for you mate. :thumbsup:

Im already deep in a case with the MOD, they have admitted they have done wrong by me, I'm looking at a pay-out of £50,000+ but I really shouldn't be working in cold climates. This foreman claims he is very approachable - but he aint! (No offence to the ladies here but...) He has a temper like a woman, one minute hes laughing and joking, the next hes serious and has the face on.

EDIT: I have been told by my solicitor that private investigators could be watching what I do to see if my injuries are legit. Example, if I decide to go on a ski-ing holiday with my cold injury, I'm pulling their legs a little. Where as if I'm spotted at work outside in the freezing cold. I do just want to not go in as I know I'll be kept outside, but I've walked out before, although I don't want to leave on bad terms.

youve kinda answered it yourself u either need to approach work and tell them you need to change job or quit

in the end it aint worth loosing a large payment over let alone risking your health

Original Poster

onlyme23;3961447

youve kinda answered it yourself u either need to approach work and tell … youve kinda answered it yourself u either need to approach work and tell them you need to change job or quitin the end it aint worth loosing a large payment over let alone risking your health

Yeah, although last time I actually wrote a notice and ******ed off without actually saying I was going. Is it really a good idea to do the same again? I said to my cousin and uncle today (who also work there) that it felt like I was gambling, but the pain at some points during the day became unbearable.

Meadsy4742;3961493

Yeah, although last time I actually wrote a notice and ******ed off … Yeah, although last time I actually wrote a notice and ******ed off without actually saying I was going. Is it really a good idea to do the same again? I said to my cousin and uncle today (who also work there) that it felt like I was gambling, but the pain at some points during the day became unbearable.

i would talk to the emplyer personally you said you told em going in so they are aware of it so its there responsibility to change the working conditions/job.. the other option would be to fire you which would then be a case of unfair dismisal and if they wont change it u can make a deal that youll leave but effective immediatly then it wont be just runnin off

Original Poster

onlyme23;3961648

i would talk to the emplyer personally you said you told em going in so … i would talk to the emplyer personally you said you told em going in so they are aware of it so its there responsibility to change the working conditions/job.. the other option would be to fire you which would then be a case of unfair dismisal and if they wont change it u can make a deal that youll leave but effective immediatly then it wont be just runnin off

Yeah that sounds like the best option tbh. I think I'm going to take the day off tomorrow, let things cool down, ring my solicitor and get help from him, he was the one that told me I shouldn't be working outside etc. If he tells me to find a suitable job inside, I will go back in the day after and have a talk with the foreman and lay things on the table. I can only be open about it, I don't think they will fire me because I'd offer to leave before they did.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Switch from BT to BT same property different person634
    2. Anyone visiting centre parc longleat between 27th-30th22
    3. I have a pretty old sky router and the power lead needs replacing, is it li…55
    4. Best place to buy a domain22

See more discussions