Groups

IN NEED OF AN EXPERT! :-) Computer log-in keeps going wrong :-(

Hello all,

The problem that i have is, when i log into my computer it takes about 3mins on the welcome screen then once its laoded it loads onto a different background and different shortcuts, also some of my programs dont work such as Chrome, this is really frustating :@ as i dont have my documents too altho i can access these by going to my computer>C

If this has happened to anyone else before could you tell me how to sort it please, btw im running Vista Home Premium

Thanks everyone

18 Comments

[FONT=Verdana]Sounds potentially that either (1) your local profile has become corrupted or (2) your local account has been updated to point to a different local profile on your computer.

Have you installed anything recently but also have you kicked off a full virus scan (with the latest anti-virus definitions installed) with it disconnected from the internet?

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

do you have more than one user account on your pc?

your local account has been updated to point to a different local profile … your local account has been updated to point to a different local profile on your computer.

thats what i'm thinking

[FONT=Verdana]Fix a Corrupted User Profile - Windows Vista Help
    windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win…spx

Start>Run> type: msconfig

Select start up

Disable all

The stuff that is coming up are programs that are enabled in your start up menu, you dont need these to be running all the time, only when you decide to click on them. This startup menu enables you to decide what programs will run when you turn your computer on, meaning a quicker load and no programs starting up

Original Poster

Thanks Scotty Boy, im having a look thru that link now mate

give your PC a quick scan as well... nothing like some spyware to slow a computer down

Narfette;6077186

give your PC a quick scan as well... nothing like some spyware to slow a … give your PC a quick scan as well... nothing like some spyware to slow a computer down

[FONT=Verdana]Would recommend using Malwarebytes with the latest updates installed for it (this can be done during/after it's installation) and it works very well.

Malwarebytes.org
    malwarebytes.org/mba…php

dsired;6077065

StartRun type: msconfig Select start upDisable allThe stuff that is … Start>Run> type: msconfig Select start upDisable allThe stuff that is coming up are programs that are enabled in your start up menu, you dont need these to be running all the time, only when you decide to click on them. This startup menu enables you to decide what programs will run when you turn your computer on, meaning a quicker load and no programs starting up

[FONT=Verdana]Only catch there is the reference to the different desktop background and the shortcuts on the desktop - implies it is probably a corrupted local profile but it's difficult to be sure unless your seeing it.

Agree that it could be background software but again it's difficult to say which ones...don't you just love computers!

Original Poster

Scotty Boy;6077271

[FONT=Verdana]Would recommend using Malwarebytes with the latest updates … [FONT=Verdana]Would recommend using Malwarebytes with the latest updates installed for it (this can be done during/after it's installation) and it works very well.Malwarebytes.orghttp://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.phpCheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

Narfette;6077186

give your PC a quick scan as well... nothing like some spyware to slow a … give your PC a quick scan as well... nothing like some spyware to slow a computer down

Cheers im just following the instructions from the link that scotty provided, so i am having to wait for all the files to be copied, then if it works i'll do the scan, if not i might as well do one anyway.

Cheers James

Original Poster

dsired;6077065

StartRun type: msconfig Select start upDisable allThe stuff that is … Start>Run> type: msconfig Select start upDisable allThe stuff that is coming up are programs that are enabled in your start up menu, you dont need these to be running all the time, only when you decide to click on them. This startup menu enables you to decide what programs will run when you turn your computer on, meaning a quicker load and no programs starting up

Cheers for helping out but im just following the instructions of scottys link atm, if they dont work i'll give it a go.

Isn't it funny how you can always find an expert but nobody ever admits to being a pert?

Spod;6077510

Isn't it funny how you can always find an expert but nobody ever admits … Isn't it funny how you can always find an expert but nobody ever admits to being a pert?

[FONT=Verdana]Unfortunately I work in IT...which is a royal pain sometimes. ;-)

One thing that did just come to mind - if the profile is corrupted it is possible that other perts of the file system might not be 100% happy. Have you run scandisk?

Also try Adaware and Spybot too and scan your system to get rid of anything that shouldn't be there!

Original Poster

nothings worked, im still fu**ed

Cheers anyway

Have you tried doing a System Restore? Failing that you will just have to format it and start over

james_lfc;6084068

nothings worked, im still fu**ed Cheers anyway

[FONT=Verdana]Please can you confirm exactly what you've done. Also if you create a new local account on your computer does it also have the same issue as well. Did the virus and spyware scans come back with anything at all?

[FONT=Verdana]Any news mate? How's it looking now and what did you do in the end?

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. connect tablet28
      2. Which SSD drive I need to replace my current HD49
      3. How to get laptop to boot from DVD/CD drive?36
      4. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …69

See more discussions