Groups

In some what cramped living conditions would you accept a home in a bad road?

Take 2 parents with 3 boys living in an average condition 2 bedroom house,boys are between 3 & 12 with the youngest staying in parents bedroom.
    Anyway despite being on council housing list for several years,points total not able to go up for any reason and not been offered anywhere till now,would you accept a 3 bedroom house in a road where there is bother,druggies and so on. The house you been offered was currently occupied by drug addicts too so could be future bother for your family.

Would you accept it if in okay condition or stay put? Bear in mind social housing rarely comes up as those on transfer lists will know. Family not able to move to bigger home by other means,not possible for moment.

My take on it is well you never know who might move next door to you,or in your road. I try keep myself to myself and even though I've had this and that happen round my area,I've never been involved or affected as such in any incidents,so for me,I would take it up and not get involved with people around the road if I knew I was going be moving into such a situation. Keeping in mind,it be long time before I'm offered anywhere else.
    Also a lot of councils,only give you 3 refusals on offerings and then your suspended for 1 year on list I think.

61 Comments

I'd decline.

I wouldnt accept it sweetie...

It may do for you just not to get involved with people but for your 12 yr old going out alone to and from school and to meet up with friends... I wouldnt risk it x x

How about getting one of those bunk beds that have space for two on the bottom and one at the top. Then you could get your privacy back.

Also, one offer must mean you are near or at the top of the list... I'd hold out for a second offer.

No from me

Lulu'sMammy;5436979

I'd decline.

+1

id HATE to live in a horrible road, would never feel safe walking home.

At least you feel safe in your own home at the moment?

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;5436985

I wouldnt accept it sweetie... It may do for you just not to get involved … I wouldnt accept it sweetie... It may do for you just not to get involved with people but for your 12 yr old going out alone to and from school and to meet up with friends... I wouldnt risk it x x

It's actually concerning a friend,she probably come on and give her input later on,just thought I'd ask a few opinions in meantime.
    Well we also thought about that about the eldest specially wanting to go about and do his thing.

This happened tp me. We moved into a bad road. I kept myself to myself and they didnt like me for that reason.
    We stood it for 2 months then moved area as it was making me ill.
    Id defo decline

Original Poster

leecher;5437000

+1id HATE to live in a horrible road, would never feel safe walking … +1id HATE to live in a horrible road, would never feel safe walking home.At least you feel safe in your own home at the moment?

Yeh she feels safe where she is and been there a while and no bother.

I would decline it. Even if the other 2 offers we bad, there is always other options, housing assosiations and private rent

I work in housing and the housing provider must operate a points based rather than choice based letttings system. Chances are if you've been offered it it means one of two things - its been refused that many times they've got down to your points level or there 'selectively letting' it to someone who wont cause hassle like the previous occupants.

what you will find if its selective lettings is that it is checked more by the housing provider to ensure all is ok as they dont want to keep repeating the same problems over and over again and the police will be the same.

as you say you cannot choose your neighbours so you could wait and get something much better and then new neighbours move in and cause havoc so if I were you I would take it on the basis that it will be more closely monitored

policy dictates that three bedroom properties are 'family homes' and therefore would not be offered to single persons. soo really you cannot blame the housing provider for offering the property to someone who has requested that as an area of choice

Original Poster

xena_morph;5437061

I work in housing and the housing provider must operate a points based … I work in housing and the housing provider must operate a points based rather than choice based letttings system. Chances are if you've been offered it it means one of two things - its been refused that many times they've got down to your points level or there 'selectively letting' it to someone who wont cause hassle like the previous occupants.what you will find if its selective lettings is that it is checked more by the housing provider to ensure all is ok as they dont want to keep repeating the same problems over and over again and the police will be the same.as you say you cannot choose your neighbours so you could wait and get something much better and then new neighbours move in and cause havoc so if I were you I would take it on the basis that it will be more closely monitored

Yes it works on points system you say there and housing write direct to ask you if you like to view and take up.
    On the list I'm on,I bid for homes on a website,but very few ever come up,it's been on this scheme here last 7 mths or so.

Banned

flippin eck, this is a hard one, i think it really depends how desperate they are to get bigger accomodation, if desperate enough i would take, thing is noone is guarenteed decent neighbours, no druggies etc,etc but ide rather know about them than move somewhere i thought there wasnt any and there was

thats the thing with choice based lettings, the properties are 'divied' out into bands and you have to be in that band to apply for it and there is no guarantee you'll get it after that!

Original Poster

xena_morph;5437149

thats the thing with choice based lettings, the properties are 'divied' … thats the thing with choice based lettings, the properties are 'divied' out into bands and you have to be in that band to apply for it and there is no guarantee you'll get it after that!

I'm only allowed to bid on 3 bedroom homes,am in 2 bedroom now,but am in a town I not want to live in,so I only bid on 3 bedrooms in the town I want to live at which does narrow me down a lot really as something only comes up there once a mth and several of other towns in council area maybe 3 or 4 others are elsewhere.
    I would of happily moved to another 2 bedroom housed though in the town of my choice but that's not possible!
    I bidded on a house that closed today and it had 67 families after it,I usually rank between 11-20th place when there the usual 30 bids or so,so I'm fairly far down the que,seems to be more and more people on list each mth with more bidding going on.

Original Poster

vinylandtrinkets;5437241

I know its just a shame that some people dont look after the houses or … I know its just a shame that some people dont look after the houses or the areas, the council estate i grew up on was rough had its druggies and nutters like every where else but now i go back there to see family and half of the homes are boarded up cos the druggies wrecked them or toerags been in and stripped it bare , even the people who bought their homes when the council sold them all off cant even resell now cos as soon as you drive into the estate you see the problems, such a waste and theres hundreds of people who need decent housing.

I've lived on a few estates but only as a child for short time here and there and they weren't all that great,luckily I've not lived anywhere too bad while an adult.

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5437235

I'm only allowed to bid on 3 bedroom homes,am in 2 bedroom now,but am in … I'm only allowed to bid on 3 bedroom homes,am in 2 bedroom now,but am in a town I not want to live in,so I only bid on 3 bedrooms in the town I want to live at which does narrow me down a lot really as something only comes up there once a mth and several of other towns in council area maybe 3 or 4 others are elsewhere.I would of happily moved to another 2 bedroom housed though in the town of my choice but that's not possible! I bidded on a house that closed today and it had 67 families after it,I usually rank between 11-20th place when there the usual 30 bids or so,so I'm fairly far down the que,seems to be more and more people on list each mth with more bidding going on.

how do you "bid"? surely not in money?

I'm ignorant about this, genuinely dont understand.

Banned

ClarityofMind;5437286

how do you "bid"? surely not in money?I'm ignorant about this, genuinely … how do you "bid"? surely not in money?I'm ignorant about this, genuinely dont understand.

i think its by how many points you have - lol

decline it,you dont need the influence of the druggie scum on your family,not worth the risk

its more like an expression of interest rather than a bid its just housing providers seem to use this term as its easier!!

decline it

me and my OH are in a 1 bed top floor flat (only 3 floors) with our baby and we have been told we may have to stay here until she is 3 years old WTF!!!! i wont even be able to fit a bed in our room once shes out of the cot so i dont know what im gonna do

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;5437286

how do you "bid"? surely not in money?I'm ignorant about this, genuinely … how do you "bid"? surely not in money?I'm ignorant about this, genuinely dont understand.

Ok II'll explain it,I go to this site,othe bidding cycle is about every 2 weeks approx,this Friday a cycle starts online on Friday at 5pm ( I'm usually on there at 5pm without fail...lol ) you then got till a week Monday to bid and then it closes at midday.It's case you choose what to bid for rather then them writing you letters and then you refuse and waste their time.

kenthomechoice.org.uk/

My district only went on scheme towards end of last year and rarely anything comes up for the town I want to live in.
    If there is a 3bedroom house I want to bid on,I place my bid and then I can view a chart to show me how many bids ( families ) are wanting the home. It all depends on assessment points,I've got a fair few but there are around 40 families ahead of me wanting housing. Thats just rough estimate,when scheme started,homes were getting around 30 bids,and I was ranking between 11-20th place,they never give you your exact position.
    Last couple times I've bidded,well there more families than ever as I saw 1 with loads of bids and I reckon about 40 families in front of me roughly.
    It's doesn't cost £ and your points don't get deducted,they stay same. I wouldn't be due anymore housing need points for a while yet hence I'm in middle of buying a home,hope it's going through ok!

Original Poster

ilovepink;5437367

decline it me and my OH are in a 1 bed top floor flat (only 3 floors) … decline it me and my OH are in a 1 bed top floor flat (only 3 floors) with our baby and we have been told we may have to stay here until she is 3 years old WTF!!!! i wont even be able to fit a bed in our room once shes out of the cot so i dont know what im gonna do

Yeh probably cos when a child gets to a certain age,they say you no garden then you get some extra points but there is no guarantee that there be a 2 bedroom flat or house preferable available when time comes.

It's same thing here,when my eldest gets to 10,he ain't meant to be sharing with his sis,but when time comes there probably won't be a home so I sorting out a home myself now.

I refused a 2bedroom flat years back and we stayed at my parents till something better come up,hence I'm living in a town I rather not live and rather be over with family amongst other reasons.

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5437389

Ok II'll explain it,I go to this site,othe bidding cycle is about every 2 … Ok II'll explain it,I go to this site,othe bidding cycle is about every 2 weeks approx,this Friday a cycle starts online on Friday at 5pm ( I'm usually on there at 5pm without fail...lol ) you then got till a week Monday to bid and then it closes at midday.It's case you choose what to bid for rather then them writing you letters and then you refuse and waste their time.http://www.kenthomechoice.org.uk/My district only went on scheme towards end of last year and rarely anything comes up for the town I want to live in.If there is a 3bedroom house I want to bid on,I place my bid and then I can view a chart to show me how many bids ( families ) are wanting the home. It all depends on assessment points,I've got a fair few but there are around 40 families ahead of me wanting housing. Thats just rough estimate,when scheme started,homes were getting around 30 bids,and I was ranking between 11-20th place,they never give you your exact position. Last couple times I've bidded,well there more families than ever as I saw 1 with loads of bids and I reckon about 40 families in front of me roughly.It's doesn't cost £ and your points don't get deducted,they stay same. I wouldn't be due anymore housing need points for a while yet hence I'm in middle of buying a home,hope it's going through ok!

Thanks for this hon... so a "bid" basically means you are registering your interests in obtaining the home?

xena_morph;5437323

its more like an expression of interest rather than a bid its just … its more like an expression of interest rather than a bid its just housing providers seem to use this term as its easier!!

thanks hon, I had a kind of "bingo hall" image lol

Can't your friend elect to go and take a private let on?

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;5437482

Thanks for this hon... so a "bid" basically means you are registering … Thanks for this hon... so a "bid" basically means you are registering your interests in obtaining the home?

Yes,if you the highest bidder,well one with most points,the council contact you and you in 1st choice,if you decline it,is offered to next bidder down and so on till someone takes up.

More and more councils are adopting the bidding area up and down the U.K some have had it in for years,it's been in a few council areas here for a while now,we were 7 mths ago and more are to join I think.

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5437546

Yes,if you the highest bidder,well one with most points,the council … Yes,if you the highest bidder,well one with most points,the council contact you and you in 1st choice,if you decline it,is offered to next bidder down and so on till someone takes up.More and more councils are adopting the bidding area up and down the U.K some have had it in for years,it's been in a few council areas here for a while now,we were 7 mths ago and more are to join I think.

oh I see, so it still basically comes down to how many points you have because if theres like 70 families per home, the one with the highest points who wants it is gonna be offered it first.

I got it now, thank you love x x

Original Poster

moob;5437528

Can't your friend elect to go and take a private let on?

She's considered that,but in long run it's not as ideal as staying where she is,cos private rent is more ( currently receiving H/B etc cos partner made redundant ) so when time comes and job in place,it's a lot to pay for rented accomodation,plus then you out the social housing chain,it be impossible to get back on. The council lettings would see you as housed ok then,even though rent be high and not ideal.

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5437571

She's considered that,but in long run it's not as ideal as staying where … She's considered that,but in long run it's not as ideal as staying where she is,cos private rent is more ( currently receiving H/B etc cos partner made redundant ) so when time comes and job in place,it's a lot to pay for rented accomodation,plus then you out the social housing chain,it be impossible to get back on. The council lettings would see you as housed ok then,even though rent be high and not ideal.

But surely their aim would be to get away from social housing altogether when he gets a job again, that way you're not at the mercy of their poor quality housing stock in dodgy areas?

Just the way I think, I've never staying in social housing since I was old enough to earn a wage.

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5437571

She's considered that,but in long run it's not as ideal as staying where … She's considered that,but in long run it's not as ideal as staying where she is,cos private rent is more ( currently receiving H/B etc cos partner made redundant ) so when time comes and job in place,it's a lot to pay for rented accomodation,plus then you out the social housing chain,it be impossible to get back on. The council lettings would see you as housed ok then,even though rent be high and not ideal.

but to balance that idea out... a private let might well be in a nicer area and in a good condition, nicer for the kids as they grow... and wont cost them anything while receiving HB.

Original Poster

moob;5437599

But surely their aim would be to get away from social housing altogether … But surely their aim would be to get away from social housing altogether when he gets a job again, that way you're not at the mercy of their poor quality housing stock in dodgy areas?Just the way I think, I've never staying in social housing since I was old enough to earn a wage.

Good for you,I don't mean that sarcastically either,but it's not always that simple for lot others.

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;5437601

but to balance that idea out... a private let might well be in a nicer … but to balance that idea out... a private let might well be in a nicer area and in a good condition, nicer for the kids as they grow... and wont cost them anything while receiving HB.

Yeh I know,but when her partner does find work again,they would like to pay a nearer fair rent as could be,they not the type to doss about either,he def wants work again,as there are some who don't want work who are able to etc.

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5437622

Good for you,I don't mean that sarcastically either,but it's not always … Good for you,I don't mean that sarcastically either,but it's not always that simple for lot others.

don't they have an exchange scheme in your area?

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5437622

Good for you,I don't mean that sarcastically either,but it's not always … Good for you,I don't mean that sarcastically either,but it's not always that simple for lot others.

Not saying it's simple, just saying that if I had a wife and kids, and a job, I'd make sure I could provide a home for them so that I wouldn't be dependant on the state for their housing needs. I used to live in a scheme when I was younger because my mum couldn't afford anything else, so I know how bad an influence they can be on kids.

Ensuring how the kids grow up would be my n1 priority.

We don't really know your friend's personal circumstances I guess, so I'm only airing my views on this.

Original Poster

queenlush;5437668

don't they have an exchange scheme in your area?

I'm posting here on behalf of another just get some views what other people think.

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5437641

Yeh I know,but when her partner does find work again,they would like to … Yeh I know,but when her partner does find work again,they would like to pay a nearer fair rent as could be,they not the type to doss about either,he def wants work again,as there are some who don't want work who are able to etc.

I understand that hon, I wish them the best of luck whatever they decide to do x x x

when it comes to HB if its social housing there is no limit on what will get paid towards it (except for additions like water rates etc) but in private there are set limits.

you tend to find that unless the private property you are renting in new build its of poorer quality than social and becuase of size standards sovial housing is larger in size. also repairs will get done within specified timescales and you will have a gas service every year. thers also the security of tenure-its a home for life, and you can buy it after set timeframes

Social housing should not be seen as just for those who cannot afford better!!

it does really upset me, i cant afford to rent private, and i can only choose one area or town to live in i cant choose surrounding areas
    its hard when ive got the bubba and got a weeks worth of shopping to get up 2 flights of stairs

we want to start for baby no 2 next year but im worried incase i will be stuck here forever

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5437715

I'm posting here on behalf of another just get some views what other … I'm posting here on behalf of another just get some views what other people think.

i personally would stay somewhere where i felt safe and relatively happy then, there is nothing more miserable than worrying about what is going on outside the house. I want to shut my door in the evening knowing i can sleep easy at night.

ilovepink;5437762

it does really upset me, i cant afford to rent private, and i can only … it does really upset me, i cant afford to rent private, and i can only choose one area or town to live in i cant choose surrounding areas its hard when ive got the bubba and got a weeks worth of shopping to get up 2 flights of stairs

You know sweetie.... sometimes my 11 yr old says to me... " When I'm a Mum, I'm going to do things so much better than you... " and that's fine because she can see the mistakes I make because she's on the end of them, but what she can't see or truly understand is that I work a 24 hr day just so she can have the things she needs and I'm sacrificing my own health and time to do that for her.

When people criticise you .... * they dont understand how much you do already *.

Ignore it... they don't walk through life in your shoes.

Don't let someones words upset you when they can't possibly know what it is to be you x x x x
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?34220
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …116262
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread415714096
      4. No preseason sky sports offers1218

See more discussions