Groups

Incapacity Benefit/Disability Claim

Banned
    OK I wonder if anyone can help here.

My Father-in-law has had his big toe amputated back in March this year, due to ill health caused by his diabetes. This has meant that he is unable to work as a self employed welder.

He is 61 yrs old and when he made a claim they told him he would only qualify for Pension Credit (which is squit, he qualifies for the above). He made the claim and got awarded 10p per week pension credit.

This has been his only income since March, and whilst he tries hard the credit crunch is stretching his 10p per week a little too far now.

Please can anyone advise me what options he has, and who best to speak to, as the Jobcentre Plus people are a waste of space in helping.

Thanks in advance, Foosy

11 Comments

Banned

Citizens advice might help or appeal against the decision.

Sorry to hear about your father-in-laws illness.

Banned

He should also qualify for council tax relief & income support. 10p pension credit doesnt sound right either.

Council tax benefit and housing benefit calculator

adur.gov.uk/ben…htm

Pension Credit calculator

thepensionservice.gov.uk/pen…asp

Original Poster Banned

We've been to the CAB, and they referred them back to the Jobcentre Plus People :-(

Who pass them from one department to another saying its not them that deal with it

Banned

Foosball Chum;2833070

We've been to the CAB, and they referred them back to the Jobcentre Plus … We've been to the CAB, and they referred them back to the Jobcentre Plus People :-(Who pass them from one department to another saying its not them that deal with it

Type appeal and disability living allowance in google :roll:

If he is claiming his pension (Pension credit). He should apply for attendance allowance ask for someone to call from the pension credit division and fill in the form for him.
    Disability allowance is only considered after one year of incapacity, not being able to work due to your illness or sooner if exceptional circumstances as in HIV or cancer

get him to contact age concern. they will go through the correct avenues and tick the right boxes to get as much as possible, if you are successful, all they ask if the first payment. Thats it.

]http//ww…uk/

Original Poster Banned

DLM;2833082

Type appeal and disability living allowance in google :roll:

Yeah the problem is he hasn't received the notice to say he's qualified or not for the claim, its still being processed, so he cant appeal against a claim that has not been completed :roll:

As self employed he will not have paid full NHI contributions so his allowances are less.

my son receives diability living allowance,i filled in the form online in dec and we started to receive it march,it was backdated to dec,dwp dont want to pay out these benefits and you have to fight for them,i would look for another advice cantre in the area and go along and see them

He probably would get DLA disability allowance, depending on the rate his partner maybe entitled to careers allowance. If he didn't qualify for IB due to national insurance contributions he would be entitled to income support depending on any other household income and pensions, this would then give the disability premium to qualify to working tax credits if he wanted to go back to work after 1 year from the start of the year.
    If his partner is working over 30 they may qulaify for working tax credits dependant on the houshold income.
    If you want more info on any of that just give me a shout

csiman;2833003

He should also qualify for council tax relief & income support. 10p … He should also qualify for council tax relief & income support. 10p pension credit doesnt sound right either.Council tax benefit and housing benefit calculator http://www.adur.gov.uk/benefits/calculator/index.htm Pension Credit calculator http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/pensioncredit/calculator/calculate.asp

Good information mate thank you

Rep added :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. One for the mathmaticians2847
      2. One thing you've forgotten55
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767462
      4. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.816

See more discussions