Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more money?

Found 18th Oct 2017
In the past few months, four of my Amazon refunds have been incorrectly processed.

It is too frequent to be an accident.

This is fraud!

One was not refunded at all. Two were only partially refunded (for no good reason). And one had been reduced by collection charges (which I had not been informed of beforehand).

Amazon is an established company. I would expect them to have robust systems in place. And don't bother checking every single refund. Especially for small amounts.

Those are the ones I spotted. There might be many more.

I don't have the time to check pages of orders (and really shouldn't have to do so). How can I be sure they don't owe me any more money? Is there a way to report such poor practice to Ombudsman?
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
"And one had been reduced by collection charges (which I had not been informed of beforehand)." <-- you would have been informed. This is part of the returns process where the charges will be listed out. I have had it a handful of times and it's always been displayed I would guess you didn't read it correctly or skipped over it.
"I don't have the time to check pages of orders (and really shouldn't have to do so). How can I be sure they don't owe me any more money? Is there a way to report such poor practice to Ombudsman?"

How many returns have you made if you have that many to check? You seem like a problematic customer to me. The only way for you to check what might be owed is to tally up your bank account vs the returns.
ipswich781 m ago

"And one had been reduced by collection charges (which I had not been …"And one had been reduced by collection charges (which I had not been informed of beforehand)." <-- you would have been informed. This is part of the returns process where the charges will be listed out. I have had it a handful of times and it's always been displayed I would guess you didn't read it correctly or skipped over it.

The item was faulty. Collection was arranged by chat. I was not told at any point that I would be charged for it.
ipswich787 m ago

"I don't have the time to check pages of orders (and really shouldn't have …"I don't have the time to check pages of orders (and really shouldn't have to do so). How can I be sure they don't owe me any more money? Is there a way to report such poor practice to Ombudsman?"How many returns have you made if you have that many to check? You seem like a problematic customer to me. The only way for you to check what might be owed is to tally up your bank account vs the returns.

Hehe, I'm actually the ideal customer. Always making sure to be there for delivery and pretty much only returning an order when an item is faulty.

I have been using Amazon for years. Pages of orders. And sadly, quite a few broken items lately. Or them sending the wrong product.
My experience with Amazon couldn't be more different. I've very rarely had a problem with orders but whenever there has been an issue, they have been absolutely brilliant in sorting it out. I had to return an item which developed a fault after nearly 10 months - they replaced it and also arranged for return at their cost. Have you asked them why they charged you for return of faulty item?
If you're returning an item, then it wouldn't make sense to not check the refund has been processes correctly. If you return that many items that you can't keep track, then you're either a problematic customer (as mentioned above) or you're the most unlucky person I've ever heard about....

If you return too many items Amazon will quite simply block your account. Which they are legally able to do this.
JohnnyRoller1 h, 32 m ago

If you're returning an item, then it wouldn't make sense to not check the …If you're returning an item, then it wouldn't make sense to not check the refund has been processes correctly. If you return that many items that you can't keep track, then you're either a problematic customer (as mentioned above) or you're the most unlucky person I've ever heard about....If you return too many items Amazon will quite simply block your account. Which they are legally able to do this.

They contact you about returns first saying your account has been flagged. I was unlucky enough to have a couple of broken items within a few months all returned as per their policies. I got an email saying I had been flagged so I replied with chat transcripts and they backed down pretty quickly.

i feel your pain OP amazon can be hopeless it really depends who you get they can tell you one thing and do another especially if you do it over the phone. I have never not had one refunded but they once charged me for the replacement full price (it was a prime deal so the didn’t have discount on the extra charge one) for a lawn mower that stopped working after the second use. They sent somebody to pick it up and they refused because of flammable substances. I fully agreed with the driver I’d emptied it but you can’t be too careful.

The the cheeky ******** tried to bill me for the one not returned. It wasn’t until I’d complaied to that many people I got a call back from a British employee who sorted it out.

generally amazon are great but it’s always best to check anything they say they are going to do
Edited by moderator: "removed swear" 18th Oct 2017
How many items do you return that would cause you to lose track?
alankfc0214 m ago

I was thinking this also. I would be very very wary returning many items to Amazon because they will just end up removing your account.
MIDURIX3 h, 53 m ago

I was thinking this also. I would be very very wary returning many items …I was thinking this also. I would be very very wary returning many items to Amazon because they will just end up removing your account.

You buy an item and it stops functioning so you send it back. It’s not really the fault of the user is it, why would you be wary sending a faulty item back, it’s called warranty.
astreix5 h, 29 m ago

My experience with Amazon couldn't be more different. I've very rarely …My experience with Amazon couldn't be more different. I've very rarely had a problem with orders but whenever there has been an issue, they have been absolutely brilliant in sorting it out. I had to return an item which developed a fault after nearly 10 months - they replaced it and also arranged for return at their cost. Have you asked them why they charged you for return of faulty item?

I used to be very happy with Amazon service too. But it has all gone downhill this year.

I was told I had been charged for collection because I had selected "changed my mind (or something along those lines)" as the reason for return. Which doesn't make any sense as the collection was arranged over the chat (after explaining the fault). So there was no box to tick or reason to select on my side.
JohnnyRoller5 h, 36 m ago

If you're returning an item, then it wouldn't make sense to not check the …If you're returning an item, then it wouldn't make sense to not check the refund has been processes correctly. If you return that many items that you can't keep track, then you're either a problematic customer (as mentioned above) or you're the most unlucky person I've ever heard about....If you return too many items Amazon will quite simply block your account. Which they are legally able to do this.

I received quite a few faulty items (broken, missing pieces, etc.) through Amazon Warehouse. Which I only started using recently.

The last two returns were actually not from the Warehouse. They sent me the wrong item. Re-ordered. Received the wrong item the second time too. Obviously, won't give it a third try. But would at least like my refunds to be processed properly.

If I get a refund confirmation email from an establish company, I expect them to reimburse the right amount. I shouldn't have to chase them to do so.
Dannyrobbo5 h, 29 m ago

They contact you about returns first saying your account has been flagged. …They contact you about returns first saying your account has been flagged. I was unlucky enough to have a couple of broken items within a few months all returned as per their policies. I got an email saying I had been flagged so I replied with chat transcripts and they backed down pretty quickly.i feel your pain OP amazon can be hopeless it really depends who you get they can tell you one thing and do another especially if you do it over the phone. I have never not had one refunded but they once charged me for the replacement full price (it was a prime deal so the didn’t have discount on the extra charge one) for a lawn mower that stopped working after the second use. They sent somebody to pick it up and they refused because of flammable substances. I fully agreed with the driver I’d emptied it but you can’t be too careful. The the cheeky ******** tried to bill me for the one not returned. It wasn’t until I’d complaied to that many people I got a call back from a British employee who sorted it out.generally amazon are great but it’s always best to check anything they say they are going to do

When did the lawnmower fiasco happen? Is it recent? Glad you managed to sort it out!

On my side, all was good for years. But this year, I had more than my share of faulty or wrong items. Both new and from the Warehouse. And the return process is at best time-consuming but sometimes a complete mess.

I only recently realized that some refunds were not processed properly. Which makes me question whether I have been defrauded in other cases. Even if it was by £5-10 by return, it shouldn't happen at all.

The only way for me to check would be to go through years/hundreds of orders. Trying to remember which item I might have returned. And check them one by one.
alankfc025 h, 36 m ago

No, I'm not the type of customers who order five vacuum cleaners and return four

I have a low return ratio if you exclude the faulty/wrong items (which they really shouldn't send in the first place).

But I have ordered from them for years. The only way for me to check for other instances of partial refunds would be to go through hundreds of orders. Trying to remember which item I might have returned. And then check them one by one.

If I get a refund confirmation email from an establish company, I expect them to reimburse the right amount. If it is off by a small amount, I might not notice.
Belga17 m ago

Which makes me question whether I have been defrauded in other cases. Even …Which makes me question whether I have been defrauded in other cases. Even if it was by £5-10 by return, it shouldn't happen at all. The only way for me to check would be to go through years/hundreds of orders. Trying to remember which item I might have returned. And check them one by one.

Fraud requires deliberate intent to cheat you out of money due to you, which I highly doubt it what's going on here. Either there's a systems issue or oversight on Amazon's side, or you're falling foul of the conditions of one of their policies/terms (which you'll be agreeing to in making a purchase).
Edited by: "Illusionary" 18th Oct 2017
Dannyrobbo8 h, 19 m ago

You buy an item and it stops functioning so you send it back. It’s not r …You buy an item and it stops functioning so you send it back. It’s not really the fault of the user is it, why would you be wary sending a faulty item back, it’s called warranty.

No one has mentioned faulty items. It's happened in the past where accounts have been closed due to a large number of returns
Belga7 h, 25 m ago

When did the lawnmower fiasco happen? Is it recent? Glad you managed to …When did the lawnmower fiasco happen? Is it recent? Glad you managed to sort it out!On my side, all was good for years. But this year, I had more than my share of faulty or wrong items. Both new and from the Warehouse. And the return process is at best time-consuming but sometimes a complete mess. I only recently realized that some refunds were not processed properly. Which makes me question whether I have been defrauded in other cases. Even if it was by £5-10 by return, it shouldn't happen at all. The only way for me to check would be to go through years/hundreds of orders. Trying to remember which item I might have returned. And check them one by one.

Not was in the last 12 months, same here good for years but it’s gone downhill. I’ve also had a decent amount of faulty items and if you include fulfilled by amazon a couple of counterfeit items too over the years.

With the prime membership you end up buying more from amazon online because they deliver quickly, if you spend a decent amount it’s easy to get a few returns for faults and items not as described.

it may be easier looking for emails to find items that have been returned setting a search up get the order number and check them.
MIDURIX18 m ago

No one has mentioned faulty items. It's happened in the past where …No one has mentioned faulty items. It's happened in the past where accounts have been closed due to a large number of returns

I think you’d better read back, the OP said this in his second post down.
Dannyrobbo53 m ago

I think you’d better read back, the OP said this in his second post down.

Yes, but some were just for a change of mind, but that's all irrelevant, If you return too many items for whatever reason to Amazon you can have your account closed. That is fact.
MIDURIX32 m ago

Yes, but some were just for a change of mind, but that's all irrelevant, …Yes, but some were just for a change of mind, but that's all irrelevant, If you return too many items for whatever reason to Amazon you can have your account closed. That is fact.

When has anybody disputed that
Dannyrobbo1 h, 42 m ago

When has anybody disputed that

You seem to be doing a very good go at it :p. All I said was be very wary of returning stuff to Amazon because your account can be closed and you have taken issue with that statement, now you are saying no one is disputing it.
MIDURIX41 m ago

You seem to be doing a very good go at it :p. All I said was be very …You seem to be doing a very good go at it :p. All I said was be very wary of returning stuff to Amazon because your account can be closed and you have taken issue with that statement, now you are saying no one is disputing it.

I said in my reply that it has happened to me, the amazon team contacted me with a warning and I explained each return with some with photos and they backed off.

I took issue with people jumping on the fact he has returned a few things to amazon, I told my story of my run in with them and they will not remove your account for some genuine returns.

It was you who said nobody has mentioned faulty items and they clearly did.

The guy has made 4 returns in 2 months it’s hardly an abuse of their terms
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants