Expired

Indesit condenser dryer door reversal

Found 24th Apr 2014
EDIT; Problem now solved with flat head screwdriver but, on the off-chance that anyone from Indesit be reading this, why not use simple screws in the first place?

------------------------------------------------------------

We have just had an Indesit IDC85 dryer delivered, and it's virtually the same as a 5 year old dryer we had. No instructions for door reversal in the manual but it's simple enough to do as we did it with the old one in a couple of minutes - unfortunately OH has been struggling for the past hour to find a screwdriver that fits!

I thought that maybe, due to lack of instructions, that it wasn't supposed to be reversed and that's why they had used these screws. Even phoned Indesit helpline (ha, that's a misnomer if I ever heard one!) to be told that it IS reversible and that it needs a Philips screwdriver. No, it doesn't, it's actually a little star shape but nothing we have seems to fit. Tried several socket sets and no luck.

Anyone else had this problem, or are we just being stupid...?
Community Updates
5 Comments
Is it a security screw which is sort of the same as those star bits but the head of the screw has a little bump in the middle? Meaning you need a bit with a hole in the middle?
http://images.esellerpro.com/2133/I/398/3/lrgscaletorx%20bit.jpg

Like this? If not can you describe in what way the bits you have are not fitting? ie: too small.

Or post an image of your washing machine with the screw head showing?
Edited by: "rdtorres" 24th Apr 2014
Original Poster
whatsThePoint

does it look like one of these

Yes, exactly like that but all the heads we had didn't seem to fit sufficiently to turn - the very smallest appeared to fit but didn't turn it; very next size up was too big.

Problem now solved though - a small flat head screwdriver eventually did the trick, although we wrecked said screwdriver and also a head from a socket set. Hey-ho, at least I can dry to my heart's content now! I don't know why Indesit used such stupid screws when I would think they could have used something much easier. What should have been a 2 minute job became a 2 hour one.

Thanks for your reply!
Original Poster
rdtorres

Is it a security screw which is sort of the same as those star bits but … Is it a security screw which is sort of the same as those star bits but the head of the screw has a little bump in the middle? Meaning you need a bit with a hole in the middle?

No, no little hole in the middle.
Original Poster
rdtorres

Like this? If not can you describe in what way the bits you have are not … Like this? If not can you describe in what way the bits you have are not fitting? ie: too small.Or post an image of your washing machine with the screw head showing?

Problem now solved with a flat head screwdriver although, as we wrecked two, it obviously wasn't the right tool for the job. Anyway, door now reversed and all in working order, so thank you for your help - I always love the fact that HUKD'ers are always so willing to help. Thank you!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions