Expired

indestructible tablet for a toddler?

Found 14th Dec 2013
Hi all I'm wondering if any one can recommend me a tablet for my little boy , I want to buy him one for his birthday he will be 3 at the end of January .He has been diagnosed autistic and he loses interest in his toys within 2 weeks of having them so my thinking is to download new apps on a tablet when he gets fed up of them. He is fascinated by my phone and tries to play with it alot so I think it will work however my problem is he is rough with his toys he broke my daughters innotab by throwing it and ripped a ds apart ..I know you can get an iguy cover for an ipad but an ipad is pretty much way out of my budget ,,,, any ideas? thanks in advance ...gill.

27 Comments

Hiya

I just bought an Appstar at Argos for my Daughters 2nd birthday. It is £59.99 atm and if it gets broken so be it! She spends all her time on edu games on my iPad so hoping I get that back.

There is also a fisher price cover for iPad. It is an apptivity one with apps avail as well.

I have a very similar aged son who is completely destructive but like most children fascinated by my phone. I also looked at the appstar at argos and thought it was great

if buying from Argos it may be worth getting the product care warranty thing.
my son dropped his DS down the stairs, it was 18 months old and it smashed to bits.
I took the bits in a bag and took it to Argos with the receipt and was given a new one there and then without any fuss.

Have you looked at the innotab 2 baby edition, although may not have as much content on as you would like might be more suitable to takes knocks and throws, currently retails at £90, on offer in the entertainer for £69.99 or Argos and smyths for £74.99

Kids samsung Galaxy tab 3 (7 inch)?

I bought kobo arcs for mine with kidstar bumpers :0) got them for about £60 from currys/pcworld :0) my kids are 7 and 2 x

Kurio Tablet...

Have you discussed this with your child's medical team or an autism support group? What's their thoughts on screen time for an autistic toddler? I thought it was advised to use structured time and quality face to face interaction. If you go ahead, will you enforce a known rule life e.g. 30 minutes in the morning?

For anyone wondering what I'm talking about, the concern, which is true for all toddlers, it's that screen time - tv, computers etc, is unnatural for young children who are learning social rules and communication skills. When watching tv, as far as the toddler is concerned, the people / animals etc are ignoring any attempts at communication that the child makes. This must be balanced by quality face to face communication during the rest of the day or a toddler can learn that there is no point in trying to communicate as their attempts are ignored. Obviously each individual's makeup and circumstances are unique so different children will be affected more or less, but an autistic child may be more at risk.

My son's just turned 6 and is also autistic Aspergers we have a kindle fire hd and its held up no probs the toughened gorilla glass seems to be what it says i can recommend it highly.

Tablets all seem great at first, keeps the kids quiet... until they get hooked like my friends kids and they scream the place down if they're not allowed them =\

You need a toughbook,on you tube of let me find you a link, if it can survive Baghdad, it can survive autistic youngster

panasonic.com/bus…asp

m.ebay.com/itm…936 Here's a second hand one!

There's a nice video on YouTube of some soldiers running one over with a truck.

Original Poster

evemason89

I have a very similar aged son who is completely destructive but like … I have a very similar aged son who is completely destructive but like most children fascinated by my phone. I also looked at the appstar at argos and thought it was great

can you add new apps to this one ? I thought it just had pre installed ones?

Original Poster

arden

Have you discussed this with your child's medical team or an autism … Have you discussed this with your child's medical team or an autism support group? What's their thoughts on screen time for an autistic toddler? I thought it was advised to use structured time and quality face to face interaction. If you go ahead, will you enforce a known rule life e.g. 30 minutes in the morning?For anyone wondering what I'm talking about, the concern, which is true for all toddlers, it's that screen time - tv, computers etc, is unnatural for young children who are learning social rules and communication skills. When watching tv, as far as the toddler is concerned, the people / animals etc are ignoring any attempts at communication that the child makes. This must be balanced by quality face to face communication during the rest of the day or a toddler can learn that there is no point in trying to communicate as their attempts are ignored. Obviously each individual's makeup and circumstances are unique so different children will be affected more or less, but an autistic child may be more at risk.

hi I have mentioned the possibility a few times to my sons consultant and he thought it was a good idea as with any children autism or not there will we a limit I set to how often and how long I will let him play with it .

Original Poster

gazman090970

My son's just turned 6 and is also autistic Aspergers we have a kindle … My son's just turned 6 and is also autistic Aspergers we have a kindle fire hd and its held up no probs the toughened gorilla glass seems to be what it says i can recommend it highly.

ah that's interesting my husband is buying me a kindle fire for Christmas so I could test him out with it and if it is successful maybe go for that option thankyou

Original Poster

Beetlemama

You need a toughbook,on you tube of let me find you a link, if it can … You need a toughbook,on you tube of let me find you a link, if it can survive Baghdad, it can survive autistic youngster :)http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/tablet-computers.asphttp://m.ebay.com/itm/380794813936 Here's a second hand one!There's a nice video on YouTube of some soldiers running one over with a truck.

hi ...just had a look and it kind of looks more computer than child based tablet but thankyou so much for taking the time to post and give me some links

Original Poster

tazbegum03

Kurio Tablet...

hi I see it also has preloaded games can you add new apps to this one too?

My Nephew has a nabi 2 Tablet and he loves it. Runs off Android so you can get new apps/games from the Google Play store or Amazon Appstore. Pretty costly at £149.99 but it's an option. I've lost count how many times it's been dropped or thrown and the bumper really does it's job.

Link

geordiegill1

hi ...just had a look and it kind of looks more computer than child based … hi ...just had a look and it kind of looks more computer than child based tablet but thankyou so much for taking the time to post and give me some links

No worries, we had to have a laptop for our son at school, the toughbook looked like the only one that would survive!

toddlers with tablets... yikes.

Original Poster

fuhu78888

toddlers with tablets... yikes.

what problem do you have with it ?

geordiegill1

what problem do you have with it ?

i just think it's a shame. i guess i'm old fashioned or something.

Original Poster

fuhu78888

i just think it's a shame. i guess i'm old fashioned or something.

I would agree with a "normal" child that is entertained by simple things like books and toys but my child simply isn't he needs this kind of stimulation and with the vast amount of apps available will be highly educational too , I don't feel shamed by it at all .

geordiegill1

I would agree with a "normal" child that is entertained by simple things … I would agree with a "normal" child that is entertained by simple things like books and toys but my child simply isn't he needs this kind of stimulation and with the vast amount of apps available will be highly educational too , I don't feel shamed by it at all .

yeah i only read your description after i posted that comment. i do know that autistic children/adults get stimulated in different ways and they very much tend to like video games and things like that. they also tend to be really good at music and building things, so maybe he could pursue those things too but obviously your his mum and you know whats best for him x

DeanVader

My Nephew has a nabi 2 Tablet and he loves it. Runs off Android so you … My Nephew has a nabi 2 Tablet and he loves it. Runs off Android so you can get new apps/games from the Google Play store or Amazon Appstore. Pretty costly at £149.99 but it's an option. I've lost count how many times it's been dropped or thrown and the bumper really does it's job.Link

......I can second this, my niece has this, and it's a slick, very capable tablet, you can switch it from parent to kids mode, it is surrounded by a big thick red rubber bumper all the way around (practically indestructible as whole tablet is encased in a plastic shell as well), and on the back has pegs for attaching letters to or educational games etc...... I personally think its the perfect kids tablet, it's designed with them in mind, everything else falls between two extremes.....ie it's either a toy, with little functionality at one extreme.......or a true adults tablet like the kindle iPad, or anything else suggested......I have an iPad, whch I rarely let my 6 year old touch, as he tends to bounce things, like the wife's Samsung galaxy tab 2 ! And so I am seriously thinking of getting him the nabi 2, as I know he loves it already. Do yourself a favour, and check out EBay, you can pick them up for circa £80-£100 which is a steal really at that price. Hope it helps.

Original Poster

Chumba_Wumba

......I can second this, my niece has this, and it's a slick, very … ......I can second this, my niece has this, and it's a slick, very capable tablet, you can switch it from parent to kids mode, it is surrounded by a big thick red rubber bumper all the way around (practically indestructible as whole tablet is encased in a plastic shell as well), and on the back has pegs for attaching letters to or educational games etc...... I personally think its the perfect kids tablet, it's designed with them in mind, everything else falls between two extremes.....ie it's either a toy, with little functionality at one extreme.......or a true adults tablet like the kindle iPad, or anything else suggested......I have an iPad, whch I rarely let my 6 year old touch, as he tends to bounce things, like the wife's Samsung galaxy tab 2 ! And so I am seriously thinking of getting him the nabi 2, as I know he loves it already. Do yourself a favour, and check out EBay, you can pick them up for circa £80-£100 which is a steal really at that price. Hope it helps.

thank you i'll take a look

Original Poster

fuhu78888

yeah i only read your description after i posted that comment. i do know … yeah i only read your description after i posted that comment. i do know that autistic children/adults get stimulated in different ways and they very much tend to like video games and things like that. they also tend to be really good at music and building things, so maybe he could pursue those things too but obviously your his mum and you know whats best for him x

I agree with the Argos protection, well worth the money. Any tablet should be ok if you get a decent case to protect it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants